Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
22 Posts

Madeira» Forums » Variants

Subject: The "Harvest Only Die" rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wife and I just finished our learning game. Took about 2 hours. As someone who is not a fan of super tight, low turn numbers games, I quite liked this one. I'll be keeping it and am looking forward to the upcoming 2nd edition KS reprint.

Being totally new, we both played horrendously, especially in the early game. I think the we ended 85 to 65. Not sure how bad that is, but I'm guessing not great

One thing I kept thinking the whole game was how costly it was to use one of your three dice to harvest goods. We almost always reserved it for the "double harvest" spot, but I still kept wishing I had one extra die to harvest with. We are going to play a few more games before I try any varients, but I think I'm going to toss in more die which will be called a harvest die and it can only be used for that purpose.

Seeking feedback from more tenured players.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played this game 100's of times and it is my favorite game. The game is so well balanced. Give it some more plays and I'm sure you'll change your mind about adding another die.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
dsbri wrote:
I have played this game 100's of times and it is my favorite game. The game is so well balanced. Give it some more plays and I'm sure you'll change your mind about adding another die.


I certainly might. It didn't feel unbalanced, I just wanted a few more turns per game.

Nice avatar. I love that movie. This one goes up to 11.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also play for free on boardgamearena.com thats how i discovered this, then i bought it. Great game!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shooshoo wrote:
You can also play for free on boardgamearena.com thats how i discovered this, then i bought it. Great game!


Bought my copy for $25
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Dorward
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, you don't just get the harvest action with the die--you also get the building action later in the round if you pay for it, which might well be valuable. (Also, colonies are awesome! Free goods, and easy points!) I like the tightness of the game--it can feel VERY constraining, but I'm not a fan of games that throw resources at you too easily--so I don't think I'd want a die reserved just for harvesting.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Nate Dorward wrote:
Well, you don't just get the harvest action with the die--you also get the building action later in the round if you pay for it, which might well be valuable. (Also, colonies are awesome! Free goods, and easy points!) I like the tightness of the game--it can feel VERY constraining, but I'm not a fan of games that throw resources at you too easily--so I don't think I'd want a die reserved just for harvesting.


I too found the colonies very helpful, but having to feed every meeple on the board was very costly for the first half the game. It's possible that I went too hard and fast in the first half of the game, I think I had most of my workers on the board by end of the second round.

You do have to feed every meeple on the board, correct? I was a little confused about using the character to jostle your city workers around for bread/coin/wood. I mean, it's the only real way to get bread, and while each worker gives you two bread, you immediately lose one to feed that worker. I didn't care for that aspect, that is, if we were playing correctly.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Artim
United States
Marshfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
You are correct, you must feed every worker on the board at the end of each round. There is the windmill track that provides virtual free bread though during that phase to reduce the cost. Regarding using your dice for harvesting I'll use spoiler tags as it'll be giving strategy advice so people can still discovering it on their own

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In 2 player games I never place a worker in any region other than region 3, so after round 2 I'm always using my dice to harvest(unless somehow I managed to harvest like crazy in the first 2 rounds of the game and have a massive excess, usually only happens when playing against less experienced players). I also try and get at least 4, if not 5 workers in that region if I can manage it.


Regarding moving workers around the city, don't forget that the white/neutral workers give one extra of the resource, so getting a few of those with even 1 one of your workers can turn 2 bread into 5.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there any point to getting more than 3 workers in a region? Maybe I missed a rule. If I have 4 workers in a region, can I run the building at both the 3 worker "rate" in addition to the 1 worker "rate"? I thought you had to choose.

When you say you use your dice to harvest, you mean one teal die and one black die, correct?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Artim
United States
Marshfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
The reason to get more than 3 workers in a region is so that when you harvest you can get more resources. You still max out at getting the 3 worker rate for buildings. And yes, I mean the teal and pirate(black) dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, just wanted to make sure I didn't miss a building production rule. Yeah, I can see how with 2P using fewer regions is better. I spread way out and it wasn't good.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gragatrim wrote:
... Regarding using your dice for harvesting I'll use spoiler tags as it'll be giving strategy advice so people can still discovering it on their own

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In 2 player games I never place a worker in any region other than region 3, so after round 2 I'm always using my dice to harvest(unless somehow I managed to harvest like crazy in the first 2 rounds of the game and have a massive excess, usually only happens when playing against less experienced players). I also try and get at least 4, if not 5 workers in that region if I can manage it.


Regarding moving workers around the city, don't forget that the white/neutral workers give one extra of the resource, so getting a few of those with even 1 one of your workers can turn 2 bread into 5.

Interesting strategy. I'm curious though.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
With no workers in region 2, are you giving away the city to your opponent? There's only one other way to get 1 worker into the city by passing (II).

The Urbanization request can give 15 points to your opponent if uncontested, which is a good deal of points. Workers in the city are also the only way to gain favors, which are powerful if used wisely.

So, if played against an experienced player, how do you counter that they don't run the city, which is a great advantage as discribed above.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Smith
United States
Encinitas
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
BeloW06 wrote:
gragatrim wrote:
... Regarding using your dice for harvesting I'll use spoiler tags as it'll be giving strategy advice so people can still discovering it on their own

Spoiler (click to reveal)
In 2 player games I never place a worker in any region other than region 3, so after round 2 I'm always using my dice to harvest(unless somehow I managed to harvest like crazy in the first 2 rounds of the game and have a massive excess, usually only happens when playing against less experienced players). I also try and get at least 4, if not 5 workers in that region if I can manage it.


Regarding moving workers around the city, don't forget that the white/neutral workers give one extra of the resource, so getting a few of those with even 1 one of your workers can turn 2 bread into 5.

Interesting strategy. I'm curious though.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
With no workers in region 2, are you giving away the city to your opponent? There's only one other way to get 1 worker into the city by passing (II).

The Urbanization request can give 15 points to your opponent if uncontested, which is a good deal of points. Workers in the city are also the only way to gain favors, which are powerful if used wisely.

So, if played against an experienced player, how do you counter that they don't run the city, which is a great advantage as discribed above.


Quick note: You can also move a worker into the city with the Scout if you have him or by choosing the King's Reward when placing a ship in the colonies if that particular reward is in the game.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
And the lady allows it for 4 real and a worker or 3 in region 2....

Guild Favors can be had without having any workers in cities. Just need access to wood.

My suggestion would be to explore the game more but whatever gets you to like it the most is the way to go.

There is a small expansion called The Harvester which is official and grants a bonus for harvesting first in a round. No need to buy it but sounds like something you would like. Could just use its rules.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Artim
United States
Marshfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I try and get the colony bonus of putting a worker in the city, if not, then most of my passing moves are to put workers into the city. I'm not sure what you mean by "Workers in the city are also the only way to gain favors, which are powerful if used wisely." Also I almost exclusively play 2p, so anything more than that and I'm not sure how well this strategy works. If you want to see some of my games I'm on bga with the same username, always happy to play a 2p game. Keep in mind though, if they do outplace me in the city then chances are very high that I'm going to outplace them in the city watch, that's 20 points over the course of the game. Not to mention most likely far more moves per round than they get due to the extra pirate dice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wyofan87 wrote:
And the lady allows it for 4 real and a worker or 3 in region 2....

Guild Favors can be had without having any workers in cities. Just need access to wood.

My suggestion would be to explore the game more but whatever gets you to like it the most is the way to go.

There is a small expansion called The Harvester which is official and grants a bonus for harvesting first in a round. No need to buy it but sounds like something you would like. Could just use its rules.


Interesting. I'll need to check this out.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernhard W
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
JustinRRizzo wrote:
Guild Favors can be had without having any workers in cities. Just need access to wood.

My suggestion would be to explore the game more but whatever gets you to like it the most is the way to go.


gragatrim wrote:
... I'm not sure what you mean by "Workers in the city are also the only way to gain favors, which are powerful if used wisely."

Also I almost exclusively play 2p, so anything more than that and I'm not sure how well this strategy works.


Oh dear, I haven't played in a while whistle (I guess I mixed it up with the rush to fill the opening the favor leaves behind).

It's about time to refresh my memory of the rules and play again.

I haven't played it as 2 player game, so it might be something that works well at that player count.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
I like it at all counts. Each provides unique situations on how to play. Especially in the colonies.

It's all good! I misplayed the ship rules many times before the boardgamearena implementation put a spotlight on being allowed to move a ship once per character action.

Happy gaming!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wyofan87 wrote:
....being allowed to move a ship once per character action.


I'm confused. I thought ships were added/moved with the passing action, favors, and primarily with the character (1 to 2 ship actions).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Artim
United States
Marshfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
There is actually a pretty major bug in the bga implementation. You should be able to use the Navigator guild favor tile, and then take the Commander action and move the same ship. BGA doesn't allow that, and it's been confirmed by the developers as a bug and that is actually allowed.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/26426689#26426689
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hayes
United States
Alliance
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
Justin, for just the commander action you can move one ship only once. Up to 2 different ships can be moved. It is worded awkwardly in the rulebook. So you couldn't move a ship for the first action then move that same ship again with the second action.

gragatrim is correct about the Navigator being separate. All guilds are separate from character and building actions. They are supposed to be used before any character or building actions are taken.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Rizzo
United States
Hershey
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.