Subject: Speed racer jump jacks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Corey Lenigar
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
So I'm super impressed by this game, not only as a "mad max' style of game but for the flexibility of it.

With the flexibility in mind, my family and I been kicking around a way to simulate Speed Racer type races (not the track races but the overland races) using progressive tiles (Think old Thunder Road).

One of the key aspects of the show and stuff were the Jump Jacks. We've been debating on how to properly add in the jump jacks.

So with that in mind, anyone out there have any thoughts on it? I've read the post about jumps and ramps but i'm not quite sure those would capture the jump jacks.

Were fairly new to the game so if I missed some aspect of the rules that might go along with this idea please point me that direction.

Thanks and happy gaming all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Mayo
United States
Schertz
TX
flag msg tools
Have you paid your dues, Jack?
badge
Yes sir, the check is in the mail.
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the way you're thinking. Imma gonna bookmark this thread and hope you work out a system. Meanwhile, Imma gonna buy THIS:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Most things a ca can "do" happen after the car has moved. So you have to decide is whether to stay within that constraint or to activate them at any time during movement. If during a template, must it be straight or during any other template? Does it "distract" the driver (no shooting)?

I would probably just let the driver activate them (as a distraction) at any point during the move but once airborne the car moves straight (while spinning some amount depending on distance and gear and template - so I would have some complicated chart) short for gears 1-2, medium for 3-4 and long for 5-6. I am an engineer so it would have to be dependent on "phantasy physics" like the show.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My experimental rules for Falling And Jumping are here:
http://www.outworld-studio.com/gaslands/pdf/Falling-and-Jump...

Here's how I'm adding these to my list of upgrades.

Jump Jets / Jump Jacks
Slots: 1
Ammo: 1
Cans: 6
When this vehicle activates, it may choose to trigger its Jump Jets. The vehicle becomes distracted, and must choose a straight template available in its current gear. Immediately raise the vehicle to that height above the surface without changing its orientation. Then place the same straight template in front of the vehicle in open air, and continue this vehicle’s movement as if it were performing a jump off of a ramp using that same straight template, starting with step 2 of the Jumping procedure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corey Lenigar
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great rules for the jumping falling aspect DagobahDave. Also I like the upgrade stats and costs.

For using them going straight it seems a pretty simple matter. Using the Jump Jacks during a turn is where it might get hairy.

My initial ideas are this:
When activating the Jump Jacks while executing any maneuver other than a straight line, place the Slide template onto the template as normal when performing a slide, however add the short template to the to the slide template in the direction of travel, then place the vehicle at the end of the short template.
Using Jacks during any maneuver still Distracts the driver, but when used during a Turn type, you also gain 1 additional Hazard token in addition to any other sources during that turn.

Example:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Graffam
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The idea of performing non-straight maneuvers off of ramps or while using jump jacks is something I've been interested in. I think you're on the right track.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.