Popular Tags: [View All]
MURPHY
United States
LITTLETON
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) What is the frequency your gaming group meets (i.e. weekly, monthly, quarterly)?

2) How many people total are invited to your group?

3) How many attend each time on average?

4) How many groups do you attend and how many people overlap the above groups?

Background for the Survey: I have a group of Dads, a Catholic Priest, and some single friends where we play 8:30PM - Midnight the last Friday of every month (at my house). About 6 to 8 (sometimes 9 or 10) people attend each time. We could break into two game tables, but most attendees like to play together. Accordingly, we play games which can accommodate large numbers of players. I could reduce the invite list (although it seems to grow as word spreads) or allow for flexibility by having two (or more) nights a month.

I did a search for this topic specifically covered, feel free to answer my four questions, reference another thread or add your own commentary/perspective. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keenon Lindsey
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
Not after Midnight.
badge
Not after Midnight.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Generally biweekly, sometimes pushed to once every 3 weeks.
2) 5
3)3-4
4) This is the only Group I meet with, but I usually get together with each other member of the group once a month for some 2 player games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Level 3 Tunt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You should make this an actual poll - it's a good one.

1. Weekly

2. Unlimited

3. 8-10 for the kind of games I'm interested in

3a. (you didn't ask this but I'm interested) What's your ideal table size in terms of player count?

Two or three. I'm finding I'm in the minority among a lot of gamers for this preference, but I just don't understand the desire to play one massive game with six people that takes three hours. I'd much, much rather play two or three shorter ones with a smaller table. As time goes on I can barely stand a four-player game and five or more is out the window. There seems to be an expectation that "lots of people equals big games" but you might see if there's a preference for many smaller games.

4. Two, but really just the one I answered questions about. The other meets so infrequently now that I don't consider it a "group".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Group A: Weekly, open invitation, usually 4-8 people
Group B: Weekly, open invitation, usually 3-12 people
Group C: Weekly, 10 people invited, usually 4-5 people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Monthly, open invitation but usually has a lot of constants about 5-6 people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MURPHY
United States
LITTLETON
CO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great idea! I will formalize once I get more questions to ask (like yours). I wasn't even sure of what questions to ask, just wanted to get the discusion moving.

Rococo_Zephyr wrote:
You should make this an actual poll - it's a good one.

1. Weekly

2. Unlimited

3. 8-10 for the kind of games I'm interested in

3a. (you didn't ask this but I'm interested) What's your ideal table size in terms of player count?

Two or three. I'm finding I'm in the minority among a lot of gamers for this preference, but I just don't understand the desire to play one massive game with six people that takes three hours. I'd much, much rather play two or three shorter ones with a smaller table. As time goes on I can barely stand a four-player game and five or more is out the window. There seems to be an expectation that "lots of people equals big games" but you might see if there's a preference for many smaller games.

4. Two, but really just the one I answered questions about. The other meets so infrequently now that I don't consider it a "group".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Main group: weekly (trying to restart bi-weekly secondary night), 6 invited, 5.125 average.
Heavy games group: weekly, ~15 invited, 6.5 average.

No overlap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Daily 2 people.
Weekly 2 or 3 people.
Weekly 2 people. (different)
Irregularly (couple times a month) 3 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
1) What is the frequency your gaming group meets (i.e. weekly, monthly, quarterly)?

Public Group - Weekly and one Saturday a month.

Private Group - weekly and one full weekend a year.

Public group - several hundred in the facebook group for it, but only 6 to 12 show up for the weekly and 12 to 20 for the monthly event.

Private group - about a dozen regular 'possibility'.

Public group - but only 6 to 12 show up for the weekly and 12 to 20 for the monthly event.

Private Group - 6-8 average (often breaking into two tables of games. (60ish people at my yearly event)

Two groups on a regular basis. 90% of my private group show up sometimes for the public group.

I've been running my private group for about 15 years (missing only a couple nights each year). People's life's go through cycles where they can't make it all the time. Leaving it open to all my friends means I can game each week. Even so there are times only one or two people show up. If I were to drop it to only inviting 4 or 5 people, I am sure there would be many nights where enough people don't show up.

There isn't any reason you all can't break into two games and still socialize between games and switch around who are playing at what table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobsen
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
who longs for oolong
badge
You are excrement. You can change yourself into gold.
mbmbmbmbmb

Public Group - FLGS Weekly. Special event 1-2 times a year.

Private Group - Weekly. Occasional special event maybe once a year.

Gaming with wife: sometimes weekly, sometimes more, sometimes less.

Public group - open invitation.

Private group - 8?

Gaming with wife: sometimes our roommate will join.

Public group - anywhere from 10-35+, probably averaging 20-25.

Private Group - almost always 4 (the same 4); Sometimes 5; on rare occasions, 6 or as low as 3.

Gaming with wife: 2!

Three groups (if you count me and my wife a "group"), 50-60% overlap. I met my game group through my FLGS, which explains the overlap.

I STRONGLY prefer breaking into smaller groups. 2-5 player games are usually leaps and bounds better than [most] 6+ player games IMO. I know a lot of groups meet to socialize with gaming as a backdrop, but I'm there to game with socialization as the backdrop. I was in a mismatched group for a while where the host would only break apart the group as a very last resort. We ended up playing a bunch of mediocre large group games rather than the 2-5 player games I have a strong preference towards. I haven't been back to that group in years.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl
Canada
Port Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Weekly
2) Seven in the group but if the game supports less we will cut it off once we are full. Usually not an issue because...
3) Average attendance is 4.
4) Only the one group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Clason
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Group A: Company sponsored game club game night
1) Weekly
2) Open invite, but most attendees are or were employees or their family. Have an e-mailling list of 50+
3) Average about a dozen, but varies a lot.
Often break into 2 or more games.

Group B: Game store board game day
1) Monthly
2) Open invite, including Facebook event invite
3) Average 6-10
Often break into 2 games

Group C: Game buddies at someone's house
1) Erratic but average slightly more that once a month
2) 3-6
3) 3-6
Everyone plays in the same, often preplanned, game.

4) I guesstimate that about 1/3 of the people attending Group B have attended Group A. And over 2/3 of the people attending Group C have attended Group A.

All of the above groups seldom play 2 player games.
With 6 players, we're more likely to play a single game than we're to break into 2 games.
With 7 players, there is about a 50% chance of breaking into 2 games.
With 8 players, we usually break into 2 games, but occasionally play a single game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I am in a group that has met once a month most months for the last 12 years.

2) There are 50 people in the Facebook group.

3) I would estimate 10 in an average month.

4) I'm not sure how to answer this question. I also play games with my family, and family members also attend the monthly group. But I don't know if my family counts as a game group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
murphzone wrote:

I play in 3 groups all three are once a week:

Group A has 5 players with usually 4 or 5 attending. (this group has been playing once a week since about 1989 with very few changes)

Group B has 70 or 80 players with 40 to 60 attending.

Group C has about 12 players with 4 to 9 usually attending.

My group C resembles your situation the most. The group prefers to play one game but when there are 7 or more it splits into two and plays two games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.