Vietnam 1965-1975» Forums » General

Subject: Release of the Vassal Module Version 4.3.1 of Vietnam 1965-1975 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Claudio Ciardelli
France
flag msg tools
Hello,
My name is Claudio. I have been playing Vietnam since mid 2017 against Curt (Raindem). Playing against him has been frustrating because of the skill/experience gap between us, but also very motivating. Thank you again Curt for your AAR of our campaign.

Also, discussing with Curt about the defects of the module, has encouraged me to first explore the module's mechanics and to later attempt to fix them.
We also discussed possible improvements that would free up the game from some tedious manual activities. Some of these improvements are now available in the module I am publishing.

Because of the large number of fixes + a major rewrite of the Province Pacification roll mechanics, I have decided to number the latest module as 4.3.1.

Here is a summary of the fixes and improvements:
- Several counter corrections, most notably the VC HQs artillery strength
- Added a 'Blank Counter' to the Record Keeping markers, very useful to take notes
- Added special Ranger Markers, different from the ones in the counter tray. These can be placed on any FWA unit by right clicking (just as when you set to active). These Ranger markers are removed from the map when you press the End Operation button.
- The normal Ranger units are also returned to their box when End Operation is pressed. This action existed already but has a bug.
- The activated Naval units are moved to the unavailable box after End Operation is pressed. This action existed already but has a bug.
- Pressing End Operation will also return the Available Air to 0 on the counters track.
- Pressing the End Operation will Hide (mask) all visible VC Units on the map. The same can be done at any time with CTRL ALT X
- The Pacification action on a Province will now work all the time. Previously the SVN pop got out of track on a high SVN result if the population was already maxed out.
- Movement Trail and Mark as Moved will now work on all units.

The scenario files are up to date with the latest changes. If you want to upgrade an existing campaign that you were playing with an earlier version to the current module, use the Refresh Counters command. As the Pacification has been rewritten, all province population levels will be deleted when Refresh Counters is run. Write down all pop levels and reenter the values manually with the CTRL ALT SHIFT M and CTRL ALT SHIFT N key command.

Do not hesitate to send me comments about errors and suggestions for further improvements.

Kr
Claudio
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O
United States
Virginia Beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Hi Claudio

Thanks for the work on this great game.

The date on your posted mod is 2015 for some reason?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Ciardelli
France
flag msg tools
Fixed

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Merci!

I will check that when i finish the campaign in progress , in one or two year

The pacification program have the same problem in the other side
(Go down even the province was at 0)

Have fun.

Ps
What miss , it's a hiding box for stack the removed Vc units during the reinforcement phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gudmundson
United States
Winchester
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you very much Claudio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Ciardelli
France
flag msg tools
Patrick,
I have also fixed the problem on the 0 side.

You do not have to wait 2 years. The current VSAV file of your campaign can be upgraded. Just open it with the new module then in the menu of the main chat window select "Tools"/"Refresh Counters"/Check "Use counter names to identify unknown counters"/ Press "Run".
After that, you will need to reenter the Pacification Values 1 by 1 as they will have been deleted.

I am not sure what the hiding box would be for. Can you give me more explanations of what you would like to have?

Cordialement,
Claudio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mullen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Charlie don’t surf!
mbmbmbmbmb
ClaudioC wrote:
Patrick,

You do not have to wait 2 years. The current VSAV file of your campaign can be upgraded. Just open it with the new module then in the menu of the main chat window select "Tools"/"Refresh Counters"/Check "Use counter names to identify unknown counters"/ Press "Run".
After that, you will need to reenter the Pacification Values 1 by 1 as they will have been deleted.

I am not sure what the hiding box would be for. Can you give me more explanations of what you would like to have?

Cordialement,
Claudio

I think he means a box, visible only to the NLF Player, where removed NLF units could be placed during the Reinforcement phase.

Thanks for the upgrade, Claudio.

Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just ask the Allied player to go to the main room while you do your builds. Then you have the whole map to yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
craig grinnell
United States
speer
Illinois
flag msg tools
Screaming Eagle and Damn Proud of it!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
ClaudioC wrote:
CTRL ALT SHIT M and CTRL ALT SHIT N key command.

"SHIFT"

My computer doesn't have a "SHIT" key... Unless you are referring to "CTRL-ALT-DEL" as the "Oh Shit" key...

(not trying to be a jerk, but I get enough "intentional" profanity from facebook posts and I know your typo was probably a translation error of such)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Ciardelli
France
flag msg tools
gulpgulpgulpsoblue
Real sorry about that one. Will fix it if still possible.
That will teach me to reread 7 times before saving!!cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Navaronegun wrote:
ClaudioC wrote:
Patrick,

Cordialement,
Claudio

I think he means a box, visible only to the NLF Player, where removed NLF units could be placed during the Reinforcement phase.

Thanks for the upgrade, Claudio.

Pat

You got the point and a nice new pic.

Bye the way if you don't use the "return to force pool" function
and do it manually , you can stack them in the VC box.
I didn't know that before .
so it's not really necessary , just make careful and use the good Stack
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
An ifern wrote:

Bye the way if you don't use the "return to force pool" function
and do it manually , you can stack them in the VC box.
I didn't know that before .
so it's not really necessary , just make careful and use the good Stack

But that allows the NLF player to see the values of the unit before placing them on the map. I think that's contrary to the intent of the rules.

But let me make sure we are talking about the same thing. Are you talking about a place to hold and sort KIAs so the Allied player doesn' see them? Or are you talking about a place to stage reinforcement prior to being placed on the map?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mullen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Charlie don’t surf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Raindem wrote:

But let me make sure we are talking about the same thing. Are you talking about a place to hold and sort KIAs so the Allied player doesn' see them? Or are you talking about a place to stage reinforcement prior to being placed on the map?

Curt,

"where removed NLF units could be placed during the Reinforcement phase."

Pat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert L Howard (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

Thank you Claudio.

I have and plan to play this using vassal and appreciate your efforts.

Especially since I do not have the skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Navaronegun wrote:

Curt,

"where removed NLF units could be placed during the Reinforcement phase."

Pat

Just making sure.

17.5 VC Battalions - "The characteristics of VC battalions vary. When the NLF player creates a VC battalion, he draws it at random from his unused and previously destroyed units. He then places the unit before seeing its values. Once placed, the unit may be examined before other production decisions are made."

The only way to comply with this rule in Vassal is to recruit directly from the force pool draw pile.

Sorry for the hijack Claudio. Great work on the update.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
France
lorient
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Yes Curt. We playing this way

The problem , it's when you withdraw Vc Bat
You can't built them back in the same recruitment phase.
So you need to stack them somewhere and put then back in Vc force pool at the end of the recruitment phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, now I understand. Makes sense.

And I thought I was the only NLF player who withdraws VC battalions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mullen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Charlie don’t surf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Raindem wrote:
Ah, now I understand. Makes sense.

And I thought I was the only NLF player who withdraws VC battalions.

That's why I kept highlighting his response to you, Curt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Chambers

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Navaronegun wrote:

Well, I wasn't sure what he was referring to. And the term "removed" from play could refer to KIAs as well as withdrawals.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mullen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Charlie don’t surf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Raindem wrote:
Navaronegun wrote:

Well, I wasn't sure what he was referring to. And the term "removed" from play could refer to KIAs as well as withdrawals.

In the Reinforcement Phase? 😀

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Gebert
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi Claudio,

In the Campaign 65 scenario you can not choose the NLF as an option. Also a number of the other scenarios do not give you one or the other to choose as an option.

In the email I sent you I now have figured out how to change the pacification values. I read that in a thread above.

Thanks for your great time and effort you have put into this module.

Mike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Mullen
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Charlie don’t surf!
mbmbmbmbmb
Mike Gebert wrote:
Hi Claudio,

In the Campaign 65 scenario you can not choose the NLF as an option. Also a number of the other scenarios do not give you one or the other to choose as an option.

In the email I sent you I now have figured out how to change the pacification values. I read that in a thread above.

Thanks for your great time and effort you have put into this module.

Mike

Hi Claudio, Mike,

I could only begin a Campaign '65 as NLF. I checked when I saw Mike's email.

I think Claudio, I may be wrong, but you limited who could start a game offline by who goes first in the scenario? I'd advise you to allow players to begin as whatever side they want. A lot of players merely noodle around in the scenario. Also, the first player doesn't always start the game, necessarily.

Thanks,

Pat

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claudio Ciardelli
France
flag msg tools
Navaronegun wrote:

Hi Claudio, Mike,

I could only begin a Campaign '65 as NLF. I checked when I saw Mike's email.

I think Claudio, I may be wrong, but you limited who could start a game offline by who goes first in the scenario? I'd advise you to allow players to begin as whatever side they want. A lot of players merely noodle around in the scenario. Also, the first player doesn't always start the game, necessarily.

Thanks,

Pat

Thank you Pat and Mike for pointing that out,
That was due to a manipulation mistake when I updated the scenarios to the new version. I now figured out the correct procedure. When updating a scenario to a new version, it must be saved with player side = "observer" so as to request the user to choose a side. It is clearly explained in the Module Designer Guide...
I updated a new version of file 4.3.1 in the vassal module page. It now works.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.