Subject: Cancelled by publisher? Got a refund from cool stuff Inc rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yesterday, cool stuff Inc told me they're refunding about $24 or whatever it was for this expansion saying it was cancelled by the publisher. Is this a mistake, something just with cool stuff Inc, or is this expansion being killed even though it looks like it's already been manufactured?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norgano wrote:
Yesterday, cool stuff Inc told me they're refunding about $24 or whatever it was for this expansion saying it was cancelled by the publisher. Is this a mistake, something just with cool stuff Inc, or is this expansion being killed even though it looks like it's already been manufactured?

Reprint cancelled maybe? I own a copy if this so it did get printed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Combs
United States
Spring Lake Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
norgano wrote:

Do you have an English copy? If so, where did you get it? The Lookout Games website only has the German version. My pre-order from Miniature Market hasn't been cancelled yet, but I won't be surprised if it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dhc3po wrote:
jmathias wrote:
norgano wrote:

Do you have an English copy? If so, where did you get it? The Lookout Games website only has the German version. My pre-order from Miniature Market hasn't been cancelled yet, but I won't be surprised if it does.

Yes it's English language, and I got it from Philibert on 11/30/2017
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CSI may have cancelled their order instead of waiting forever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hanno Girke
Germany
Schwabenheim an der Selz
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Should be back in stock soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't be surprised if this got cancelled. It's probably the worst expansion I've ever played. Journeyman turns an elegant game into something incredibly unappealing. Even if some like it, I doubt would find a large audience overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Wolfpacker
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if this got cancelled. It's probably the worst expansion I've ever played. Journeyman turns an elegant game into something incredibly unappealing. Even if some like it, I doubt would find a large audience overall.

The expansion is not bad. It just makes Isle of Skye a much different game. It's heavier and has much more considerations. If you buy a tile from a player you give them a free Warrior track bump. Do you really want to do that or price your tiles higher? Oh, that player has bank pays and all 3 of my tiles are really good. I will need to put a very high price on it because I know that person is going to buy my tile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:

Unappealing to whom? To you? I think you are in the minority with this. This expansion changes the feel of the game more then many expansions for other games, but with or without it IoS is a fantastic game.
I like the added complexity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Weaver
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shucks that it sounds like they cancelled it if they ran out of stock since I preordered super early, aren't they supposed to save that stock or something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
norgano wrote:
Shucks that it sounds like they cancelled it if they ran out of stock since I preordered super early, aren't they supposed to save that stock or something?

It sounds like the wait for the current pre-orders was going to be longer than expected and either CSI canceled their order with their distributor, as they don't expect it to arrive soon or they have an internal policy that they don't want pre-orders being held for an indefinite amount of time on an order that will take more than X number of months to be filled.

More than likely, they canceled their order of the game, which will cancel the pre-orders. Once they get information about when the games will be arriving in the country, they will probably re-release the game for new pre-orders.

Not a sky is falling event, I don't think just yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In general, since the whole Z-Man 2012 print fiasco, CSI has been very careful with extended pre-orders.

There was a period where CSI wouldn't even take preorders for Z-Man titles.

A lot of great games got under-printed in that period, especially in English. Since the takeover by Asmodee, they (Z-Man) seem to be back on track.

Though in 2017 almost all the Lookout/Mayfair titles have not gotten English language reprints, so if you didn't get those games at or near Essen, you've been waiting, because the original English prints were not very large.

I wouldn't be surprised if CSI has cancelled the pre-order on this title because it feels like familiar territory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Hiwiller
United States
Winter Park
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, this is so annoying. When my preorder was cancelled, I decided to import it. Now it is available at CSI, but I have to wait longer for my import to come in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T W
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mb
zhiwiller wrote:
Man, this is so annoying. When my preorder was cancelled, I decided to import it. Now it is available at CSI, but I have to wait longer for my import to come in.

I imported a (German) copy too... came in 6 days and was less than $18 delivered (amazon.de).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryle Cuff
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jorl wrote:
Unappealing to whom? To you? I think you are in the minority with this. This expansion changes the feel of the game more then many expansions for other games, but with or without it IoS is a fantastic game.

I get that you feel I've insulted your precious expansion and want to defend it. It's just my opinion, don't get all worked up.

Don't forget that this is a Spiel winner that has a wider audience than just the BGG crowd. I doubt that non-gaming enthusiast Tim will take to this expansion as much as you. If you look at the comments in the ratings as well, I'm not alone in my thoughts. The average rating for this expansion is also lower than the base game and it only just hit a wider distribution. Since it's ratings currently consist of mostly big Isle of Skye fans, it's average is bound to continue to drop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Funk
United States
Springfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:
jorl wrote:

I get that you feel I've insulted your precious expansion and want to defend it. It's just my opinion, don't get all worked up.

Don't forget that this is a Spiel winner that has a wider audience than just the BGG crowd. I doubt that non-gaming enthusiast Tim will take to this expansion as much as you. If you look at the comments in the ratings as well, I'm not alone in my thoughts. The average rating for this expansion is also lower than the base game and it only just hit a wider distribution. Since it's ratings currently consist of mostly big Isle of Skye fans, it's average is bound to continue to drop.

Might also be that it barely made it out of Spiel last year and never really hit normal US distribution until this month. User base is still pretty low at this point due to unavailability. Has an effect on the average ratings, too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darryl with one "R"
United States
Redmond
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know. I quite like the expansion because it allows me to play the game with 2 entirely different audiences -- without the expansion with people who prefer lighter games, and with the expansion for people who like meatier games.

I can't think of another expansion I've played that changed the complexity of the base game so much. And for my purposes, that's a great thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten
Germany
Schkeuditz
Sachsen
flag msg tools
"The only thing you are going to see, is the burning hand of overdue justice." - Lobster Johnson
badge
“There are only three forms of high art: the symphony, the illustrated children's book and the board game.” - Saga
mbmbmbmbmb
Bryle wrote:
jorl wrote:

It's not my expansion and I do not have to defend it. It's a good one. It's not for everyone - barely any expansion is. I just do not believe that it is the "the worst expansion" you ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S.
United States
Des Moines
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zhiwiller wrote:

Last week (give or take a few days) Miniature Market updated their preorder information for it with a lower price (about $2 cheaper). I've since received my shipping notice. My assumption, is that Asmodee's price was lower than the initial Mayfair price, and updated preorder info came through to the sellers, which caused CSI to cancel preorders without telling people that in a few more weeks they could order it again, and probably at a slightly lower price.

That lack of communication really sucks! If we lived closer, I'd invite you over to play it so you could at least try it out since you have to wait longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.