Rochelle Smith
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
Hi all! Wondering whether the following hero's strategy would be allowed:

The second hero (Sarah) of a two-hero party (Victoria and Sarah) has just finished her 2nd action attacking a Hellephant (with magic) two zones away. She now wishes to use her third and final action to open the door of this room (using one movement point) and use the second movement point to escape into the relative safety of the corridor beyond (taking her companion with her, via 'Follow Me'). Obviously, she plans to spend the second movement point of this third action AFTER resolving the door card that she must draw as a condition of opening the door, but assuming that all goes well with the door card, is this a viable way to avoid the Hellephant's counter-attack? Or is she obligated to endure the counter-attack before fleeing the room? [NOTE: The heroes are cornered in zone #3 of a 3 zone 'connected' chamber and the Hellephant is in zone #1 of said chamber with one zone between them).

Thanks in advance,

r.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get into a Shadow Zone that is outside the enemy's line of Sight by the end of your activation, then the enemy will not counter-attack.

So yeah, unless she draws an Ambush card for the Door, she can do this.

Incidentally, I assume the door in question is connected to another chamber? If it instead leads to a corridor, then you won't be drawing a door card at all; you can just open that door with a movement point.

Note that the Hellephant will still activate during the Enemies' Phase, it just won't counter-attack at the end of Sarah's turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rochelle Smith
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
That's a great answer, Clipper, thanks, but do you mean to say that when a hero in a room opens a (previously unopened) door into a hall or corridor, then no door card is drawn? If so, then that changes a LOT. My son and I have been playing that ANY time a door is opened for the first time - no matter which side our heroes are standing on - that we must draw a door card . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm saying even less than that.

You only draw a Door card when opening a door into a Chamber for the first time for that Chamber. You never draw a card for Corridors, and only the first door into the Chamber counts. Here's the rule:

Rules p26 wrote:
Opening a closed Chamber for the first time reveals who – and what – lies inside each of its Rooms.

Note the word 'closed'. As you cannot close doors, a Chamber can only be spawned into once. There are no rules for spawning in Corridors either, so it is only Chambers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rochelle Smith
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
Okay, thanks. The chamber in question (the first chamber that one approaches in the tutorial) has two doors to it. We opened the first one that we encountered (zone #1), which left the second (in zone #3) unopened. So if we opened door #1 and then left by that same door and walked down the hall to open door #2, then nothing would spawn inside? If that's the case, then that makes much more sense (both thematically and logically) and will make things much easier for beginning level heroes!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guthwine3 wrote:
Okay, thanks. The chamber in question (the first chamber that one approaches in the tutorial) has two doors to it. We opened the first one that we encountered (zone #1), which left the second (in zone #3) unopened. So if we opened door #1 and then left by that same door and walked down the hall to open door #2, then nothing would spawn inside? If that's the case, then that makes much more sense (both thematically and logically) and will make things much easier for beginning level heroes!

Yep, I think you understand now. Also note that opening door #2 from the inside also has no additional effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mes More
Netherlands
flag msg tools
Ha, glad to be here. We did the same on opening doors, spamming guards in the corridor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.