Subject: Resting rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Armstrong
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How exactly does one take the rest action in this game?

Spoilers for starting island:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I reached the mossy "cave" which gives a brown action box for rest / heal. Do I need an action card with a white rest icon to actually take this action though? I played through a fair amount of the action deck on my first try and saw no cards with a white rest icon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You need to find a white action box with the rest icon. Either on terrain, an event, or possibly an item.

The brown boxes are modifiers to the appropriate action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are not tired or injured, you may not need to rest or heal. If you are, that location may come in handy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the same problem. I don't need to rest or heal yet either. BUT from what you are saying, I need some kind of card I may get later with the white rest or heal icon and then I come back to this card and may then use the modifier while resting or healing? Which I suspect are probably either ways to get rid of red conditions or ways to get more cards to the action deck or both (I don't know because it's not in the manual).

There isn't a real good list of actions and how they work anywhere in the manual (or the reference card). The charitable way to view this is that they are afraid to give away too much information. The less charitable way to view this is that they didn't bother to give us a good thorough reference to action types and how they work.

Has anyone done this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJM
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
There isn't a real good list of actions and how they work anywhere in the manual (or the reference card). The charitable way to view this is that they are afraid to give away too much information. The less charitable way to view this is that they didn't bother to give us a good thorough reference to action types and how they work.

It's definitely not because they "didn't bother." The mechanics are meant to be discovered as you play. In fact,
Spoiler (click to reveal)
there is at least one action type that isn't even listed on the reference card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
I have the same problem. I don't need to rest or heal yet either. BUT from what you are saying, I need some kind of card I may get later with the white rest or heal icon and then I come back to this card and may then use the modifier while resting or healing? Which I suspect are probably either ways to get rid of red conditions or ways to get more cards to the action deck or both (I don't know because it's not in the manual).

Has anyone done this?

All actions are resolved using the same process. The success/failure of actions are different from card to card, so they can't really be any more specific in the rule book.

The icons just tell you what kind of action it is so you know what skills and items can be used for bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, every action works exactly the same way, so there is no mechanical reason to have a list.

I think what is being asked for is a list of what potential actions might be used for, but that is left as a process of discovery. All you have for now is the names of the icons. You will figure out what each icon might be used for as you explore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.