• [+] Dice rolls
Al Mann
South Korea
Seoul
Seoul Teukbyeol-si
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NovaPrimeGA wrote:
We played this for the first time today and we read the cards literally meaning that when we read "any province" it meant that the influence of the Oni of Skulls extended to other battles beyond which its figure was placed. We found other monsters with cards that had very specific wording that said "this province" so we could make no case for the Oni of Skulls NOT having its influence extend to other Provinces.

The Oni of Skulls doesn't provide three force in every province where you have the lowest honor, just in its own province. A universal effect like that would be way too good for a two coin card in Spring.

It appears CMON forgot to put a "Counts as" text before the "3 force" like most other monsters. Compare it to the second line of Oni of Blood, which also says "...4 force in any province where you have the lowest honor", but manages to avoid the confusion with the preceding text's "Counts as 2 force OR..."

I wouldn't look too hard into confusing cards by reading them literally in this game. There are several instances of sloppy, ambiguous wording in this game's card text and the rulebooks, more than enough to give me the impression that this was not an intentional omission of the words "Counts as..."

While there are monsters that can influence distant battles indirectly (i.e. Earth Dragon pushing someone into an unresolved battle), as a general rule, monsters have their powers limited to their current province.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Geery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NovaPrimeGA wrote:
Wondering if this controversy has been resolved per an earlier thread. We played this for the first time today and we read the cards literally meaning that when we read "any province" it meant that the influence of the Oni of Skulls extended to other battles beyond which its figure was placed. We found other monsters with cards that had very specific wording that said "this province" so we could make no case for the Oni of Skulls NOT having its influence extend to other Provinces. [b]The player that had this figure completely ran the table and it was clear that we weren't able to stop him early from the get go. This monster appeared way overpowered. [b]

I'm curious as to why there is nothing from CMON on this or Eric Lang. I'm tempted to go to CMON Expo specifically to ask this question!

Thanks.

Seems like a real easy fix for this overpowered situation would be not stretching the monsters ability beyond reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dickson
United States
Orlando
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In situations where a rule is uncertain, ask yourself which way you'd rather play -- the one that's reasonable, or the one that breaks the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Santiago Pérez-Bergquist
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When we first opened our game and set up, we read through the monsters, and our initial interpretation of this as written was that it gave 3 force in every province. Then we finished reading the rest of the monsters and realized that would be completely bonkers off-the-charts nuts, especially as there's another Oni that costs more which is clearly 2 force base, or 4 if you have the lowest honor in its province, and we concluded that Oni of Blood was its baby brother with poor wording.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian D
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So it's wrong to play as though it grants me three force in any province in any future game of Rising Sun in which I have the lowest honor, and three force in any other game that has provinces in it?

Crud.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Hodgson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend my unofficial faq in the files section!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niall Smyth
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Redking wrote:
I recommend my unofficial faq in the files section!

Does your faq mention which are official rulings by CMON and which are just our ideas? That's a big issue for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casey Smith
Switzerland
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NovaPrimeGA wrote:
I agree, although played as written seems broken to me and I'm going to house rule it going forward that Monster abilities only affect the province they are in, I'd also like for CMON to weigh in on this at some point. It seems as they have gotten bigger and more successful they aren't checking the forums like this. Maybe I will give it a shot and DM Eric Lang on here.

Eric Lang doesn't clarify rules, he lives it up to the company that publishes/owns the game. (Although Im sure if you met him at a CON he would clarify it)

Also, the FAQ's seem like they do read here pretty often, I think to avoid any controversy they just don't post here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Franco
Australia
flag msg tools
NovaPrimeGA wrote:

Wow really? Is Eric Lang such a big deal now that he's above connecting directly with his customers? That really changes the rose colored glasses I have had about him lately. Perhaps I have enough Eric Lang games now.

No.
His stance is he doesn't answer FAQs because the game may have been changed by the publisher after he finished with it, and he doesn't want to contradict any of their new rulings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Orangevale
California
flag msg tools
DailyRich wrote:
In situations where a rule is uncertain, ask yourself which way you'd rather play -- the one that's reasonable, or the one that breaks the game.

This. Right here. I don't understand why more people can't just apply this to game rules. To me it just makes sense, clearly no game designer intends for any game to be broken or overpowered.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.