Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm new to Innovation and really enjoying discovering it! meeple

But I noticed there have been some card changes to the base game made by the publisher and presented thoroughly in an Asmadi Games video (Innovation Deluxe: Card Changes and Balance Q+A).

Are we to consider these card changes de facto as official errata?
These changes concern 9 cards (Oars, Fermenting, Feudalism, Measurement, Societies, Statistics, Factories, Combustion, and Fission), which don't even appear in the official FAQ on this page.

Are players like me who own earlier editions of the game (I happen to own the Iello 2013 ed.) supposed to apply these card changes?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No. This isn't a game with thousands of dollars on the line. Just play whatever it is your cards say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always write the changes on your cards too, that's what I did before buying the deluxe edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Weird replies.

These are official changes. You're welcome to call them "official errata", it's just that the publisher hasn't documented them under that title. (I think they should. They have produced a detailed document for One Deck Dungeon, but neglected to do so for Innovation and Red7)

The "official FAQ" (if you're referring to Innovation: Official FAQ and cards list), was last updated in 2011.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your replies!

I'm inclined to side with SaltyHorse's viewpoint.

- these changes have been implemented in the game's latest edition (English Third Edition 2015) -- correct?

- in the video, the publisher refers to several of the card effects in the base game as "broken". Fermenting, for example, or Factories. Others he refers to as just "more fun" with the changes.

There are 9 card changes in all. Have all of them made their way into the Third edition?

I just wanted to get a sense of how widely these changes have been adopted by experienced players of the game, and whether the publisher/designer consider them as official errata, in which case they de facto supersede the earlier version of these cards (i.e., players with earlier editions should use them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ori Avtalion
Israel
flag msg tools
Unofficial documentation of the changes is available in the forums for Innovation Deluxe:
Innovation Deluxe Change List.

The publisher and the designer also chime in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many thanks for the link SaltyHorse! I'm glad I asked!

I think I noticed an error in Xelvonar's list:
For Measurement, it says: "You may reveal and return a card...".

Shouldn't that be: "If you do, splay that color of your cards right, and draw a card..."? At least, that's what's mentioned in the video.
Could someone please confirm that this is the correct final (3rd ed.) form of Measurement?

Perhaps that list (Xelvonar's "Innovation Deluxe Change List") should be posted as an official file on the page, as opposed to being buried in the forum, and the subject changed to something obvious like "Innovation Official 3rd ed. Card Changes", so that owners of the Iello edition (the only one around these days) are not left in the dark.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know, there are some other changes when comparing Iello's version to the 3rd Edition. There were a few mistakes that were made as they translated the cards into the altered terminology that Iello uses. I know I've seen a list of those somewhere on these forums, but I can't remember where, nor think of a good search term to find the thread.

Edit: I did try a search, the only one I could find was Fission, which is missing the following text in the Demand effect in the Iello version: "If this occurs, the dogma action is complete."

I don't believe the other mistakes they made were as big, but I can't find a listing. Perhaps somebody can compare their Iello version to the FAQ from the files section, as the FAQ has all the text from the original Asmadi version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Emphasis added.
Clipper wrote:
Perhaps somebody can compare their Iello version to the FAQ from the files section, as the FAQ has all the text from the original Asmadi version.

That's the problem, the unofficial official faq hasn't been updated for years, the maintainer was asked by the publisher to cease updates because an official official faq would be released "soon" - that was many years ago and correct me if I'm wrong, no official official faq has been released to date.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FYI: just noticed, the new base game card effects have been implemented on BGA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clipper wrote:
Just so you know, there are some other changes when comparing Iello's version to the 3rd Edition. There were a few mistakes that were made as they translated the cards into the altered terminology that Iello uses. I know I've seen a list of those somewhere on these forums, but I can't remember where, nor think of a good search term to find the thread.

Edit: I did try a search, the only one I could find was Fission, which is missing the following text in the Demand effect in the Iello version: "If this occurs, the dogma action is complete."

I don't believe the other mistakes they made were as big, but I can't find a listing. Perhaps somebody can compare their Iello version to the FAQ from the files section, as the FAQ has all the text from the original Asmadi version.

For those who own the current (2013) Iello reprint:

Here is the post referencing the mistakes in the earlier 2011 Iello edition::

rafal100 wrote:

IELLO Feudalism ability was changed (probably by mistake) Demand takes cards with [CASTLE] to Influence/Score instead of hand.
Compass is simutaneous exchanges instaead of 2 consequent transfers. (in some situations the card works differently)
Fission' ability text has lost "This ends dogma effect." I think this is another example of reckless IELLO editing.
And last detail: almost whole game terminology was changed.

As far as I can tell by looking at my copy of the 2013 reprint:
- the Feudalism and Compass cards have been fixed
- the Fission mistake has not been fixed: this card is still missing the bit in the Demand effect that says: "If this occurs, the dogma action is complete".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mouldy Banana
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
As far as I can tell by looking at my copy of the 2013 reprint:
- the Feudalism and Compass cards have been fixed
- the Fission mistake has not been fixed: this card is still missing the bit in the Demand effect that says: "If this occurs, the dogma action is complete".
FWIW Iello copy, ©2015, has that missing as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Z
Australia
Rockhampton
QLD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Caylusboy wrote:
FYI: just noticed, the new base game card effects have been implemented on BGA.

I think by default its the new cards - but you can select original printing if you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chet C.
United States
Carlsbad
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Link to the video?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J A
Canada
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EfFdcDb3Rg

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.