Popular Tags: [View All]
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After discovering some really fun baseball tabletop games, I decided to get some football games too. 1 for solo play and 1 for ftf play(since none really seems to excel in both). I have Second Season Pro Football Game on it's way for solo(I love Replay Baseball playbook that describe the action and Second Season also has that, so I was sold almost instantly)

But I'm hesitating for the 2 players game. Lots of choices, but with the cost of the games(and shipping) I cannot afford to order a dud.(We, poor Canadians, have to factor in the dollar exchange rate and INTL shipping rates since almost all the companies making those games ship from the US only)

I've done alot of research and came down to these three. Which would you recommend most for ftf game that can fit in a 2 hours time frame, and that brings the most fun?

Paydirt: Looks to be recommended as fun by many, but it's long OOP. I've seen that Data-Driven Football is a re-imaging of it, but no one actually talks about DDF, so I'm wary it might not be the same(plus the name scares me a bit as potentially being an accounting number-fest) If Paydirt is recommended, where do people get their copy?

Strat-O-Matic Pro Football: Well, that one I'll get no matter what since a) The light version is available in local stores(that's the version with only 5 teams in it) b)That version is cheap enough that even if I don't like it, it won't bum me. I doubt I won't like it, but I keep reading that it is not a game you can quickly get back in after a few months stored away (Like, say, Replay Baseball that takes about 5 mins to remember the rules when I get it out at the start of the season), so it might not be the best fit in the long run.

4th Street Pro Football This one grabbed my attention. But shipping is so horribly costly(cost as much as the game itself!) that I'd have to be sure it's a great game before ordering. At least, extra seasons are offered in PDF that I could print locally, so future purchase would not have the shipping problem. It has good ratings, but not alot of them. Are the rules easier to remember than SOMF? Does it have some shortcomings that keeps people away from it? Wondering why so few ratings when those that are there are good.

I've discarded APBA Pro Football because of the high cost associated with it.

Not discarded, but would need more details: Inside Blitz Football Only 15 ratings

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry I haven;t played any of those, but have you looked into 1st & Goal
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Hampton
United States
Lincoln
NE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Freerksen
United States
River Forest
Illinois [IL]
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pizza Box Football

It's light and random but honestly I think that's what makes it feel more footbally... except the Patriots aren't here to be the Yankees of the NFL and the Lions aren't the kid in the playground picked last.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell InGA
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Paydirt is probably a decent game. I played a number of games of Bowl Bound which is the sister College football game. (If I remember correctly from looking at Paydirt, the presentation of BB was a whole lot nicer.)

The problem with Paydirt is that you have about nine offensive plays and six defenses. (Also, it's not like some of the baseball simulations that play super fast. It takes about as much time to play Paydirt as a real game takes - give or take.) You are definitely not calling intricate plays and exotic defenses!

(If there are specific seasons or teams you are interested in, you can probably obtain fan-made teams from various years.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Cooksey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Techno Bowl is really good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Playbook Football is a good American football game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
I spent so much time playing strat-o-matic football when I was a kid. So good! At least my memories of it are. I recently purchased the game again 35+ years out of nostalgia, but haven't gotten it played yet. I Wonder if I'll still feel the same way I did then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus the Great
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many consider the gold standard to be Pro Football Fantasm, although it is long out of print.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Inside Blitz is an excellent football game. Great for head-to-head and also has one of the smoothest solitaire systems of any table-top football game I've played (and I've played a lot of them).

APBA isn't bad, but if you play the Master rules the game can slow down in a mire of calculations and chart references.

Pro Football Fantasm is very intricate . . . almost to the point of being unplayable unless you want to invest the time.

4th Street is really nice because they provide a pile of individual play cards. A lot of football games use generic terms like "short pass," "medium pass," "long pass," etc. 4th Street provides cards with specific plays (and the cards actually show diagrams of the plays so you can see the routes the receivers are running and the path the ball carrier is taking on running plays). Every player has a detailed card (including offensive and defensive linemen, linebackers, safeties, and defensive backs). I love this game . . . but it definitely requires a time commitment to choose from the many different plays that are available.

Strat-o-Matic is excellent. Although, I still think baseball is their best sports game. This game has a nice blend of attention to detail and reasonable playing time, especially if you use the basic rules. If you adopt advanced rules, you can move defensive players into different zones on the game board for every play, which gives the game a nice visual boost . . . but it takes a little longer.

Paydirt is good, but does not provide individual player ratings. You read the results off of charts that produce results based on team averages. They changed the rules over the years, so the later seasons have more rules than the earlier sets. You can still get print-and-play team charts online for recent seasons even though the game went out of print a long time ago.

Statis Pro Football (out of print, but available on eBay and I think someone online may still make the cards for recent seasons) is good for head-to-head. It comes with layouts for you to arrange offensive and defensive player cards, so it's very visual. It also comes with Fast Action Cards that have a section on them for solitaire play.

Second Season is really good. I never played it head-to-head, but the solo game is fun.

I guess if I really wanted an immersive head-to-head experience I would go with 4th Street (your first few games will probably take 4+ hours to play until you become really familiar with the rules and the play cards . . . even then, you're probably looking at 3+ hours).

My second choices would be Strat-O-Matic or Inside Blitz. If you intend to play solo sometimes, then Inside Blitz is the better option of these two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Salamone
United States
Billerica
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Aggravating people worldwide since 1964
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion . . . have you checked Delphi Forums? They have a lot of discussion boards about table-top sports games and you might be able to get some insights from the fanatics that play these games frequently (I used to play them a lot, but now most of them are in my attic).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yours Truly,
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
There must have been a moment at the beginning, where we could have said no. Somehow we missed it. Well, we'll know better next time.
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of left-field, but...have you looked at Blood Bowl: Team Manager – The Card Game?
Excellent "football" game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the suggestions so far:

1st & Goal, Playbook Football and Pizza Box Football were looked at, but they weren't what I was looking for(a bit too basic, or too much emphasis on simply guessing the right play at the expense of realism)

Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged : Hmmm, not what I was looking for either, but.. actually seems pretty good for what it is!(I loved Tecmo Bowl on my genesis! It seems to try to reproduce it) I saw the kickstarter when it came out but almost immediately discarded it as a Blood Bowl knockoff. I now see it was a big mistake. Seems sold out but I'll keep an eye out for a reprint.

Paydirt: Many comments were given, highly appreciated. It took a hit, but I guess it shows other games are doing stuff a bit better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
joe_salamone wrote:
Inside Blitz is an excellent football game. Great for head-to-head and also has one of the smoothest solitaire systems of any table-top football game I've played (and I've played a lot of them).

APBA isn't bad, but if you play the Master rules the game can slow down in a mire of calculations and chart references.

Pro Football Fantasm is very intricate . . . almost to the point of being unplayable unless you want to invest the time.

4th Street is really nice because they provide a pile of individual play cards. A lot of football games use generic terms like "short pass," "medium pass," "long pass," etc. 4th Street provides cards with specific plays (and the cards actually show diagrams of the plays so you can see the routes the receivers are running and the path the ball carrier is taking on running plays). Every player has a detailed card (including offensive and defensive linemen, linebackers, safeties, and defensive backs). I love this game . . . but it definitely requires a time commitment to choose from the many different plays that are available.

Strat-o-Matic is excellent. Although, I still think baseball is their best sports game. This game has a nice blend of attention to detail and reasonable playing time, especially if you use the basic rules. If you adopt advanced rules, you can move defensive players into different zones on the game board for every play, which gives the game a nice visual boost . . . but it takes a little longer.

Paydirt is good, but does not provide individual player ratings. You read the results off of charts that produce results based on team averages. They changed the rules over the years, so the later seasons have more rules than the earlier sets. You can still get print-and-play team charts online for recent seasons even though the game went out of print a long time ago.

Statis Pro Football (out of print, but available on eBay and I think someone online may still make the cards for recent seasons) is good for head-to-head. It comes with layouts for you to arrange offensive and defensive player cards, so it's very visual. It also comes with Fast Action Cards that have a section on them for solitaire play.

Second Season is really good. I never played it head-to-head, but the solo game is fun.

I guess if I really wanted an immersive head-to-head experience I would go with 4th Street (your first few games will probably take 4+ hours to play until you become really familiar with the rules and the play cards . . . even then, you're probably looking at 3+ hours).

My second choices would be Strat-O-Matic or Inside Blitz. If you intend to play solo sometimes, then Inside Blitz is the better option of these two.

Thanks for the great details, especially on Inside Blitz Football! meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless something has radically changed, APBA games use some nice lengthy charts for a myriad of results. Strat-O-Matic cards have a big chunk of the information.

I like APBA for baseball but Strat-O for football.

While you can get into these types of games with a one time investment for a few teams, whole seasons of all teams every year and even past seasons can tempt you to forgo other game purchases.

The more a game deals with individual player cards, the easier it is to do custom drafts of all players or all-star games between any grouping. Strat-O did (does?) have all the defenders on one card with ratings. 1973 was magical when O.J. Simpson not only couldn't fumble on the usual die roll for all running backs but he could get positive yardage even when keyed on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sylvain Martel
Canada
Stoneham
Qc
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"No plans resist contact with the enemy"

Pretty much what happened here.

I had my eyes on the 3 games listed in my original post, then replaced Paydirt with Inside Blitz based on the comments, and finally went with Techno Bowl: Arcade Football Unplugged and Statis Pro Football. In the meantime I also received my copy of Second Season Pro Football Game and I will try that one this weekend..

Techno Bowl: The designer has/had a few copies left, so I jumped on the opportunity. It should arrive next week.

For Statis Pro, it's actually ABCGame's "Tabletop Statis-Pro Football" that improved on the original system, while remaining compatible. I was convinced after reading Field General review of it. Bought the various PDF and I will have them printed soon at a local printer.

This looks like it will cover a nice variety of different takes on the game. I'm keeping 4th street and Inside Blitz on the wishlist though. Maybe next year.

Thanks to all
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Just as an aside... the best American football game of all time is NFL Strategy. Of course, you have to search it out on ebay and will probably have to either do some maintenance on the flicker or use one of the dice hacks people have come up with, but it's such a good game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Doelle
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
We have a ton of fun with Friday Night Legends. www.fridaynightlegends.com

It is a niche game because it is high school football but the teams are based on the real statistics from historic teams, it is a lot of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
Just as an aside... the best American football game of all time is NFL Strategy. Of course, you have to search it out on ebay and will probably have to either do some maintenance on the flicker or use one of the dice hacks people have come up with, but it's such a good game.

My favorite too, but it comes down to what people want from a game. If you want player stats, this is the wrong game, but if you want to be the coach and focus on play calling, this is the one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.