Ben Howard
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Very new to the game, immensely enjoying it so far.
Quite proud to have beaten the first two scenarios. First attempt at Dol Goldur using two decks made from my core set. First go at playing two handed.

I pulled ungoliants spawn onto gimli and thalin during optional encounters. I then declared my Aragorn in the second deck as the defender because he has sentinel.
The revealed shadow card is king spider . Defending player must choose one character he controls and exhaust it.

Who is the defending player ? The original Gimli deck ? Or the sentinel Aragorn second deck since he's doing the actual defending? I've been doing so much rules flipping tonight. I know this scenario is really hard, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Edwards
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
Quote:
Rule 1.52 of the FAQ page 9 "The Defending Player"

When an enemy makes an attack against a player, or a character controlled by a player, that player is “the defending player” regardless of whose character is declared as a defender. Card effects, including shadow card effects, that target “the defending player” or “you” still target the player who the enemy is attacking even if another player declares one of his characters as a defender for that attack.

https://images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/2e/31...

So in your example, the Gimli deck would have to choose and exhaust a character.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
You said you pulled ungoliants spawn on Gimli and Thalin during optional engagement, but you know you can declare only one defender right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S R
Germany
flag msg tools
I understand it, as if he optionally enganged both enemies. But either way, it is wrong, as you can only optionally engange one enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reilly
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drachenfreund wrote:
I understand it, as if he optionally enganged both enemies. But either way, it is wrong, as you can only optionally engange one enemy.

The Shadow Card was the King Spider. There was only one enemy, Ungoliant Spawn, and Aragorn exhausted to defend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim . K
United Kingdom
Southend-on-Sea
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Regardless of Aragorn, he would have to exhaust one character from his Gimli deck, if able.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.