Too Many Bones» Forums » Rules

Subject: Boomer - when can you choose to exhaust locked component dice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Menninger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The last sentence on the Gearloc Reference Sheet describing Making Grenades says "You are free to Exhaust these dice even before they reach 0 (if you want to go for a higher roll next battle)."

So, when exactly can you choose to exhaust them? Must it be during battle? On one hand, there is no rule saying that it must - but also, under normal circumstances, you don't really do anything with locking/exhausting dice outside of battle, and I can't think of any other mechanics offhand that allow you to remove dice from locked slots without any other effect [EDIT: page 14 states "To free up space, a player may remove (Exhaust if Skill Die) dice from Active or Locked slots at any time during their turn." Suggests it can only be done during battle?]. Further, the only place in the rules that I could find when one would move exhausted dice back in to the skill matrix is at the end of battle, so would you have to wait until the end of the next battle to get them back into your grid anyway?

The reason I ask is this: I pulled Unwanted Affection, a solo encounter where
Spoiler (click to reveal)
you find a kidnapped Gearloc child who is deemed unlucky by his captors, and they pay you to take him back. Your two choices for the encounter are to either refuse to bring him with you, and reduce your HP stat by 1 because you feel bad; or bring him and his bad luck forces you to lose 3 skill dice next battle. Exact quote: "Choose 3 Skill Dice to Exhaust at the start of your next battle. Keep this card in view as a reminder until this effect has been fulfilled."

When I pulled this card, I had 2 components locked, but already had 2 grenades, so I would feel comfortable locking all 3 components for a fight - perhaps not my best option, but this is a post about rules, not strategy

Could I, in theory, exhaust my locked components, get them back into my skill matrix, and choose to exhaust them at the start of my next battle in order to satisfy the conditions of the Unwanted Affection card? And perhaps on a more general note, when exactly do exhausted skill dice re-enter the skill grid? Thanks for any feedback you guys have!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryBrandon wrote:

Could I, in theory, exhaust my locked components, get them back into my skill matrix, and choose to exhaust them at the start of my next battle in order to satisfy the conditions of the Unwanted Affection card? And perhaps on a more general note, when exactly do exhausted skill dice re-enter the skill grid? Thanks for any feedback you guys have!

- Yes, you can exhaust the locked components between battles, then choose to exhaust them at the start of the next battle to satisfy the conditions of the card.

- Normally, exhausted skill dice re-enter the skill grid at the start of the next encounter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Menninger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks George! Do you have a reference page in the rulebook where I can cite the rule stating that exhausting skill dice re-enter the skill grid at the start of an encounter?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
binaryBrandon wrote:
Thanks George! Do you have a reference page in the rulebook where I can cite the rule stating that exhausting skill dice re-enter the skill grid at the start of an encounter?

The best I could find right now is in p.12
"Skills are usable only once per battle (unless otherwise noted). Exhaust each Skill Die after use."

So you exhaust them when you use then, and they are usable again in the next battle. So, at the start of the next battle, they are unexhausted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
nobody82b wrote:
binaryBrandon wrote:

- Yes, you can exhaust the locked components between battles, then choose to exhaust them at the start of the next battle to satisfy the conditions of the card.

- Normally, exhausted skill dice re-enter the skill grid at the start of the next encounter.

I think this is incorrect. The rules say specifically say that you can exhaust dice on your turn. No where does it say this can be done during the day outside of battle.

As for your second point, the rules state that exhausted dice become un-exhausted at the end of battle. There is no where in the rules that I can find that say dice get un-exhausted during the day or doing encounters that are not battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarcuS wrote:

I think this is incorrect. The rules say specifically say that you can exhaust dice on your turn. No where does it say this can be done during the day outside of battle.

As for your second point, the rules state that exhausted dice become un-exhausted at the end of battle. There is no where in the rules that I can find that say dice get un-exhausted during the day or doing encounters that are not battles.

Not all rules are explicitly written in the rulesbook (unfortunately).

A lot of rules are found here and there in the forums, on official videos by ChipTheoryGames, or from queries answered officially (e.g. when I was betatesting the Windows version of the game, there were a lot of "corner cases" that we had to contact the desingers to clarify as they weren't anywhere in the rules).

Now, I am fairly sure you can exhaust locked dice after a battle, if you wanted to, and have it be available at the start of the next battle. But I've been wrong a couple of times before, so if you want to be 100% sure, send a message to chiptheorygames - I'd be interested to know if I've been playing this wrong all this time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bård Holst
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Page 14; Locked Slots.
Locked dice remain from battle to battle until used. When used they are exhausted.

Locked and Active dice can be removed i.e. exhausted to free up space at any time during your turn
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Carlson
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an interesting subject

There are skills that are specifically designed to be used during the Recovery Phase. These are intended to be unexhausted before the next battle.

On page 12 under Exhausted Dice Area, we talk about 'All Exhausted dice are unexhausted after battle.' Intent here is that there is a snapshot in time that all dice return to the Skills Area.

On page 14 under NOTE, we talk about 'a player may exhaust a die at any time during their turn.' Intent here is that we want players to be able to clear out dice to prepare for next Battle.

---

Technically, all player's are on their own turns after battle during the Recovery Phase, doing their own thing (even though we don't explicitly state this). We are not requiring an exhausting of dice during the actual battle. Go ahead and exhaust what you need to after battle, then reset all the dice after that (if any dice are to be used during the Recovery Phase, those are unexhausted as well).

Thematically, in Boomer's case, we are talking about the 'components' for her bombs not being good enough and she can find more next time, so she will make it possible by leaving behind what she has... this decision will often be made after battle has concluded.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Menninger
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I appreciate having not only a thorough answer, but also that you added the intent behind your decisions! Helps to keep in mind what you guys wanted the rules to do as opposed to what is written. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.