Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
B
United States
Farmingdale
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, if the focus is on “streamlining” the game, reducing play time, etc., it then may very well end up appealing to a different crowd and not old-time Caylus players. Nothing terribly bad with that, but if that is the case, then I agree with the idea of using a relatable, but different name.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
stevepop wrote:
Mallgur wrote:
I'm not a fan of Caylus because of the favours. I always thought they were an afterthought and ruined the game. This apparently makes it worse.Whatever. I'll just keep the Magna Carta version.
Well, there's a first.
No, I favour CMC as well, but contrary to Pedro I think the favours in CMC's expansion make the game better. Without them it's hard to pull off provost shenanigans which really add to the whole. But I'll happily play a game of CMC without its expansion.

And I can explain why I prefer CMC over Caylus too: the former is resource rich but money poor, the latter has it the other way around. Consequently CMC feels rather fluid and about 'doing stuff', whereas Caylus feels like treading molasses and endlessly setting yourself up for that single resource-based action you were craving. (I suppose many find this exhilarating... I certainly don't.) Based on this preview the new reimagined Caylus seems actually more of a reimagining of Magna Carta because it too has a resource rich, money poor core. (In fact, there is now no money at all.) The characters which can be stolen remind me of the limited favour choices in CMC's expansion. I suppose what little is left of money in CMC can be taken out, yes; and if then buildings originate from a single common pool (no money means no hand management) you will restore quite a bit of the original's 'friction' / turn order angst between players... which is something CMC lacks. Sounds like an interesting combination, in any case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Board games are turning into the movie industry. Rehash after rehash. Why not just create something new? Calyus is perfect as-is and doesn’t need changing. Call this game something else, it’s not Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
skyzero wrote:
Board games are turning into the movie industry. Rehash after rehash. Why not just create something new? Calyus is perfect as-is and doesn’t need changing. Call this game something else, it’s not Caylus.
Show me on the Caylus box where mean Mr Attia touched you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sky Zero
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cymric wrote:
skyzero wrote:
Show me on the Caylus box where mean Mr Attia touched you.

I guess I’m just bored of the same games getting repackaged with rule changes? This looks to be an interesting take on Caylus, but why call it Caylus? Why not just expand the world and make an interesting new game to explore? Participating in the conversation and sharing a perspective, not personally attacking anyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
skyzero wrote:
I guess I’m just bored of the same games getting repackaged with rule changes?
Which is an incredibly popular activity these days, I'm sure. Every designer is busy streamlining their library. You know, back in the good old days, the repackaging king was Dirk Henn. If designers approach Henn's level of repackaging, I'll start to worry. For now: Caylus was released in 2005, Caylus Magna Carta in 2007, we're now in 2018. Relax.

Quote:
This looks to be an interesting take on Caylus, but why call it Caylus?
For one very obvious thing, the name hasn't been decided upon yet, people are assuming their way through everything as usual. The project's working name is 'Caylus 2018', nothing more. But even so:

Caylus Magna Carta?
Mare Nostrum: Empires?
Santiago de Cuba?
Age of Steam?
Brass: Birmingham?
Twilight Imperium 1, 2, 3, 4?
Space Hulk 1, 2, 3, 4?
Agricola: All Creatures Big and Small?
a gazillion Catans?
a gazillion Carcassonnes?

I cannot recall people clamouring for name changes in all of these cases, to be honest.

Quote:
Why not just expand the world and make an interesting new game to explore?
Because apparently that's not what is occupying Attia's mind these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denis Wolf
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they will at least replace the horrific art of the original
If they do as much I would be ready to get my own copy even if the rest stays old Caylus way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
skyzero wrote:
I guess I’m just bored of the same games getting repackaged with rule changes? This looks to be an interesting take on Caylus, but why call it Caylus? Why not just expand the world and make an interesting new game to explore?

Regardless of the name, I find the majority of games in the Euro space released in the past 5-8 years to be vague variants of pre-existing games. I don't necessarily see it as a bad thing (although most of the changes don't interest me), iterating on previous designs can eventually yield new ideas and new masterpieces.

Similarly, new 18xx tend to be simply iterations on previous ideas, with the occasional larger leap forward. Fast Food Magnate is just an iteration on Great Zimbabwe (I greatly prefer the latter but the former is vastly more popular).

Unfortunately, many iterations tend to just streamline existing complex titles and strip out most of the interesting bits to make them more generally appealing. I'm concerned this will be the case for Caylus 2018, but do note that I do quite enjoy some games which have resulted from this streamlining simplification in the past (Age of Steam and Railroad Tycoon/Railways of the World in particular).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
deniswolf wrote:
I hope they will at least replace the horrific art of the original
If they do as much I would be ready to get my own copy even if the rest stays old Caylus way.

You mean this one?

(why they ever replaced that with the king art I'll never understand..)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
blueatheart wrote:
(why they ever replaced that with the king art I'll never understand..)
I agree that the "King art" wasn't good, but the older one had a weird "wide angle lens" distortion going on. They were about equally bad in my opinion.

The special edition was better. I like the most recent version best... but even so, I'm not sold on the "sky figures". I think having the actual people standing on the castle wall, and hence being considerably less prominent, would have been better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
mb
I love Doyle’s artwork. Wish he was still doing game art.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
blueatheart wrote:
Similarly, new 18xx tend to be simply iterations on previous ideas, with the occasional larger leap forward. Fast Food Magnate is just an iteration on Great Zimbabwe (I greatly prefer the latter but the former is vastly more popular).
If you look more closely at Splotter titles you will see quite a bit of overlap everywhere. There's nothing really wrong with that, as the games still easily stand out on their own.

Quote:
Unfortunately, many iterations tend to just streamline existing complex titles and strip out most of the interesting bits to make them more generally appealing.
That would depend on whether the 'interesting' bits actually are that. I've seen games where they are, and I've also seen games where they aren't and just take up playing time without any gain. And in all cases there were ardent defenders of the original and supposedly 'streamlined' versions; and in all cases I've wondered whether there were some screws loose in their heads.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
John Rogers wrote:
I love Doyle’s artwork. Wish he was still doing game art.
For box art yes, for game art no. He had (and still has) serious artistic talent, but as it turned out his ideas of ergonomics didn't work out that well in most cases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stevepop wrote:
Hopefully the streamlining doesn't go too far. What's the black disk in the upper right tracking?

I played it the last weekend at a CON in Paris.

The black disk on the upper right track is here to keep track of the turn : now, the game is played over 9 turns (3 rounds).

The left building is available from turns 1 to 9.
The building in the middle is available from turns 4 to 9.
The right building is available from turns 7 to 9.

By available, i mean "activable when you earn a favor" (the favor tracks are gone). Of course, they change from game to game. You earn a favor in the same ways as the old Caylus (to the castle, by building buildings, with the joust...) and you can spend it to :
- activate one of three aforementioned buildings + grab 1 of the 3 characters cards (they give you special abilities) OR
- stole a characters cards to an apponent

Dungeon, walls and towers counts are gone : you simply earn points (6-5-4 VP) when you build at the castle (+favor as usual).

Money is gone : you only have meeple. Each turn, there is a fixed income (3 at 3 players + residence) and you can earn them with some buildings.

The road is snaking from the bottom left corner to the castle and there are only 4 pre-printed buildings before the bridge :
- joust (i don't remember the new name) : 1 wood --> 1 favor
- the lawyer : cloth --> residence
- the carpenter
- the guild : to move the provost 1 to 2 spaces

Yeah, the gate is gone...

At the end of each round, each player can build a prestige building and the provost is placed between the two last buildings on the road (the bailiff is gone and the provost doesn't move forward automatically). So now, the access to the gold mine is only in players hands

EDIT : spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Waltier
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, I'm now very excited about the new edition. This will likely be a day one purchase for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fixed turns

I can understand where they're going with those changes, but so far, I prefer my first edition. Of course, I prefer it to most of the "trendy" stuff these days, so I guess I'm an old-style gamer now

(Not that it won't be a good game, just less to my personal taste)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In fact, i was pleasantly surprised to see how they have changed the game while keeping its original spirit (i mean, the provost is still there. etc...).

The only thing i am not a fond of is the character cards.

Oh, and the current name of the game is "Back to Caylus".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel D.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fdubois wrote:

That's a funny and good idea..
seems to me they've at first thought about a name for the new edition, then had the idea to call it "Back to Caylus", and then they recognized "hey, we actually can design the "building path" in the other way, leading back to the castle.." laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
Daniel Detel wrote:
fdubois wrote:

That's a funny and good idea..
seems to me they've at first thought about a name for the new edition, then had the idea to call it "Back to Caylus", and then they recognized "hey, we actually can design the "building path" in the other way, leading back to the castle.." laugh
"Back to the Castle"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Daniel Detel wrote:
the intention for the new version was to rid it of some unnecessary baggage and shorten its playing time

That's all negative to me...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the 2nd art best (the King). After whjich teh 4th (3 sky figures), the other two are awful.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree! Caylus is a harsh, unforgiving game and I think the King box art conveys that best. The original box art is a bit too whimsical, the special edition box art hurts my eyes, and the "sky people" box art is OK, but lacks the "judginess" of the king, which I think is a perfect match for the feel of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
jeffk wrote:
I agree! Caylus is a harsh, unforgiving game and I think the King box art conveys that best. The original box art is a bit too whimsical, the special edition box art hurts my eyes, and the "sky people" box art is OK, but lacks the "judginess" of the king, which I think is a perfect match for the feel of the game.
Let's settle this with a poll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So is this getting an Essen 2018 release? If so, what's the game called (please tell me it's not also named Caylus)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The official title is