Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I apologize if that was answered somewhere already.I have an issue with what exactly is opportunity fire.In the classic definition its used in conjunction to enemy movement but could i use it during my move as well( it says somewhere any eligible time after all) i.e can I move my unit adjacent to the enemy and just before assault play the 'Beaten Zone'? Or do i need to play just before the next chit is drawn, effectively after the assault takes place .Thank you in advance
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey George!
Opportunity Fire refers to the use of three Event Chits - Beaten Zone, Krupp's Guns and A Cloud of Skirmishers. These can be played during your turn or the enemy's turn at any time, but if played during movement you have to wait for a unit to enter the next hex .... you can't do it as the unit is traversing a hexside. In other cases, you have to wait for the enemy to resolve its action completely. So for example, if an enemy unit announces a fire combat on your Prussian guns, you have to wait for it to be resolved before you can play Krupp's Guns to fire back. If you wanted to fire before the enemy, you'd have to announce your chit use before the enemy announces that particular fire action.

In your example, you could move the French unit up to say two hexes away, play the Beaten Zone on the enemy target, and then move to conduct Assault on that same unit (remember, you'd want to fire from two hexes away because as soon as you move adjacent, he gets his Defensive Fire).

Thanks!
Herm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Triantafyllidis
United Kingdom
Torquay
Devon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant ! Thank you so much Hermann.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
HORST324 wrote:

In your example, you could move the French unit up to say two hexes away, play the Beaten Zone on the enemy target, and then move to conduct Assault on that same unit (remember, you'd want to fire from two hexes away because as soon as you move adjacent, he gets his Defensive Fire).
Herm

It doesn't really add up with the wording of rule 11.5

"The Opportunity Fire Event Chit can only be played after an enemy unit's action is announced..." so you can't use it when the French unit move but only when the Prussian unit annouces its defensive fire.

However, still from the rule "..., before it is carried out...", so the French unit could use Beaten Zone when it's one hex away just before the defensive fire is resolved, unless the Prussian unit decides not to use defensive fire (maybe it should).

Or am I missing something in the spirit of the rule?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Defensive Fire is triggered immediately upon the unit entering the adjacent hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
OK but the French unit will still have to wait for some action from a Prussian unit before it can use Beaten Zone ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HERMANN LUTTMANN
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
No - the chit can be used at any eligible opportunity. That includes during your own turn or the enemy's. The clarification is for when you are "interfering" with an enemy action - you have to wait for it to be done before you can then jump in. So if you fire during enemy movement, you must wait for the unit to enter the new hex once it starts moving and during fire combat, if the unit has already announced fire you can't stop it before it resolves the fire. It's a timing clarification for what to do during the enemy turn. As far as your own turn, you can play the chit as you see fit as long as it is again, not in the middle of resolving an action.

Herm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loïc Boué
France
VITRY SUR SEINE
Val de Marne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Got it. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.