Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: So I picked the 'Vengeance' personal quest... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
...and of course I misread it thinking it would be easy. Then I thought, nah it can't be THAT easy, googled it and nope...not that easy. Might actually be really, really, really difficult?

Now I've tried to steer clear of spoilers so I really don't know, it would just suck to spend ages on completing it, especially when
Spoiler (click to reveal)
apparently it's one of the few quests that doesn't unlock a new character, which I was really looking forward to. My other choice was the quest that required you to see two other characters retire and that didn't really appeal to me just starting out - I wanted something I could work towards myself

I also realize it's really contradictory trying to avoid spoilers and at the same time be making this post.

Basically I just need someone to tell me 'it's ok, don't worry it's not that bad' haha....I just worry that picked a really, really stupid personal quest to start with ๐Ÿ˜‚

I play in a 3 player party btw, and we only just did the first scenario.

Great game, loved it and I'm probably overthinking this but there you go ๐Ÿ˜Š

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just pick another Personal Quest. Depending on your choices, it might take very long. And the "reward" is...different than others.
While some find it apparently very rewarding, my honest opinion is that the reward sucks big time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A C
msg tools
mb
I agree that changing personal quests should be allowed. There is nothing that says you can't just pick a new character completely. I sometimes suggest the blind third choice. I.E. If you want to play the same character class, but hate the first two quests, take a third one blindly and take it - or abandon that character class, pick another one and start over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Montgomery
Australia
Canberra
ACT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel your pain. One of the starting characters in my party had this quest and took ages to retire. (Although not as long as one of the others!)

This particular quest may not unlock a new class, but as you may have seen in the rulebook, there are a couple of classes that can be unlocked a different way. By the time you retire your character you will probably have one of those other classes ready to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared
United States
Telford
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
On the flip side a hard personal quest will allow your character to level higher, unlocking better abilities, acquiring more items, and getting a good run out of enhancements.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
It's about the same difficulty and length as other personal quests.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brooks
United States
Katy
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our first party member retire and it was this personal quest. He was level 5, and that's only because he wanted to avoid retirement for a long time even when we unlocked the required scenario(s).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Frisches wrote:
We just had our first party member retire and it was this personal quest. He was level 5, and that's only because he wanted to avoid retirement for a long time even when we unlocked the required scenario(s).

What it unlocks/opens:
There are not many ways to open envelope X. I would keep it for that reason.

This can help you solve it if needed:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1932120/personal-quest-guid...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Agerkvist
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmb
Haha mixed feelings about this one - I can also see that the whole Envelope X thing is a can of worms that I don't want to open up at all - I've stumbled across more than I wanted to already so I'll just keep the quest and see what happens.

Hopefully my buddies will help me out when the need arises!

Lets hope I like playing the Brute, seems I might be playing him a while ๐Ÿ˜

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
franloop franloop
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
It's about the same difficulty and length as other personal quests.

This is true from my experience. Plus if you are trying to play most of the scenarios in only one campaign, you must do that personal quest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, don't ignore the most important part of the OP. He is looking forward to unlocking a new character - which you just don't do with Envelope X.

Light X spoilers:
My copy didn't even have the necessary stuff to solve X, nor did we unlock everyting for x in 100!!! played scenarios (yes, a few we played multiple times)

Don't open the next spoiler, massive spoiler for envelope x
yes, yes I know technically what I said above about X is not true

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
What makes this hard? I completed it with no issues. We played two blocked scenarios on casual mode, but loved it because we experienced two crazy battles. This one is easier if found earlier, but got after playing 30 scenarios. Dug it. Reward for this was not good imo. Reward one of my few complaints with game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deaver
msg tools
Official ruling says this one requires different scenarios, so getting enough requires being pretty late in the campaign or getting lucky on side scenarios. It was my second envelope and even then it took a long time, despite not knowing about the official ruling (I did one or two less than technically required because I repeated a couple scenarios)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mdeaver wrote:
Official ruling says this one requires different scenarios, so getting enough requires being pretty late in the campaign or getting lucky on side scenarios. It was my second envelope and even then it took a long time, despite not knowing about the official ruling (I did one or two less than technically required because I repeated a couple scenarios)

This personal quest can be completed in just 10 scenarios from the start of the campaign without any side scenarios.

Two of the paths for the campaign can start you off with 4 campaign scenarios (1-2-3-9), then the next 4 campaign scenarios all being in Gloomhaven (11/12) then (18-23-26), followed by the 2 scenarios you need for the quest(57-58).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
This one is harder if you go the not-evil route. I just finished it a few sessions ago. I think it probably took me about 25 scenarios before I finished. I didn't look ahead to see what unlocks scenarios in Gloomhaven, but if I had, I could have gotten there more quickly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H G
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a dude
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
This one is harder if you go the not-evil route. I just finished it a few sessions ago. I think it probably took me about 25 scenarios before I finished. I didn't look ahead to see what unlocks scenarios in Gloomhaven, but if I had, I could have gotten there more quickly.

We are nin-evil, but you still unlock some scenarios that you can do in casual play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hilaryg wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

We are nin-evil, but you still unlock some scenarios that you can do in casual play.

It sounds like you're talking about the A/B ones, and those require you to take at least one step in the "evil" direction. E.g. 11 and 12 require you to play 9, so if you do 8 you can never do 11/12 in casual mode.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:

This personal quest can be completed in just 10 scenarios from the start of the campaign without any side scenarios.

Two of the paths for the campaign can start you off with 4 campaign scenarios (1-2-3-9), then the next 4 campaign scenarios all being in Gloomhaven (11/12) then (18-23-26), followed by the 2 scenarios you need for the quest(57-58).

That's a YMMV depending on what information and how much influence you have when scenarios are selected.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
thespaceinvader -
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I had to resort to Casual mode to get it finished, and finally get rid of my Triforce.

It's pretty interesting, to be honest.

The reward, not so much. Wish I'd picked the other PQ I got when I started the character, and just got a free item and scenario by unlocking Triforce again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SevenSpirits wrote:
Hilaryg wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

It sounds like you're talking about the A/B ones, and those require you to take at least one step in the "evil" direction. E.g. 11 and 12 require you to play 9, so if you do 8 you can never do 11/12 in casual mode.

Exactly.
We didn't trust Jekserah right away, so we played #8, which locked us out of #9 (except in Casual Mode) and locked us out of #11 and #12 entirely. It wasn't until we got to #35/#36 (with one of those in Casual) and then #31 that I had the four I needed.

Looking at my logged plays, it was 24 scenarios (including failed scenarios) before finishing it, after having that personal quest from the very beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
Dexter345 wrote:
SevenSpirits wrote:
Hilaryg wrote:
Dexter345 wrote:

Exactly.
We didn't trust Jekserah right away, so we played #8, which locked us out of #9 (except in Casual Mode) and locked us out of #11 and #12 entirely. It wasn't until we got to #35/#36 (with one of those in Casual) and then #31 that I had the four I needed.

Looking at my logged plays, it was 24 scenarios (including failed scenarios) before finishing it, after having that personal quest from the very beginning.

Spoilers for different path of scenarios:
If you do scenario 8, then you can also do scenarios 18,23,and 26 after you finish scenario 20. In that case, the path is 1-2-3-8-14-7-20-18-23-26-57-58. So it's 12 scenarios instead of 10 (both times including the last two scenarios that are specifically for your personal quest).

It's still not bad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, so maybe the key isn't "don't be evil," but instead, "look at the scenario flowchart to determine which scenario to do" in order to get it done in an amount of time on par with others. We still haven't even done #7 (though that's scheduled for this week).

Really though, my advice would be to not take any of the personal quests that require specific locations at the beginning except the Crypt one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michele c
Germany
Bielefeld
flag msg tools
I don't understand all of this complaining about the rewards.

Most of us are adults playing boardgames, do we even need a reward for this? Don't we play because we like it?

I mean, if you need a reward to play a game, maybe you shouldn't?

Moreover, you will want to unlock everything in the game, eventually. Sooner or later you are going to do that personal quest anyway, just for the unlock.

A little bit more specific about the content of envelope X, now

This envelope only contains another part of the game. Complaining that the personal quest doesn't give you an interesting reward is like complaining that Scenario 1 only unlocks Scenario 2, without any reward. The reward it that the game continues.

Edit: On a different note. I agree with Darren: the PQ that require specific locations are quite random and difficult to control if you are not "cheating" using the scenario flowchart. This is a problem with all of them.

The upside is that they unlock other scenarios which can't be unlocked in any other way. I think this is the biggest reward of those kind of personal quests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony K
msg tools
mhl7 wrote:
I don't understand all of this complaining about the rewards.

Most of us are adults playing boardgames, do we even need a reward for this? Don't we play because we like it?

I mean, if you need a reward to play a game, maybe you shouldn't?

I agree with michele. That is why I have house ruled out all treasure tiles, loot tokens, and experience points. I'm no sellout, playing this game just for the "rewards." I'm only in it for the love of the game.

But in all seriousness, class unlocks are part of what makes the game fun, along with all the other items I listed above. And of course, even adults playing board games can appreciate rewards to motivate them.

I also wouldn't say that the OP was complaining, just that he was excited to unlock a new character and worried that envelope X would not be as exciting as doing so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The "reward" is part of the game. The "reward" may or may not give you anything, before you finish the game. Unlocking classes is part of playing the game, of progressing in the game. Unlocking envelope x is not on par with other "rewards" for completing their personal goal.
Therefore it sucks, as it is worse than other personal goals.

My copy was missing crucial parts, so I was not able to do anything with the "reward" of envelope x, without checking online. Apparently, it was intended that these parts are missing. And even if you do happen to have all parts in your game (I think 2nd edition does), it's very likely that you don't get everything you need for Envelope X, even if you "complete" the entire game! That's not good design and therefore I stand by my opinion: Envelope X sucks big time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.