The 7th Continent» Forums » General

Subject: Genuinely disappointed with the official sleeve quality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pascal D
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy from my friend (group pledge). I asked for the official sleeves and the first two pack of sleeves fit perfectly, but the two others are a different size. Just a bit smaller and too tight.

Does Mayday made those sleeves or what? Really disapointed!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Himel
United States
Dalzell
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Id say the matsrial quality is good but there they have an extreamly high margen of error for sizing. I had similar problems, out of 200 sleeves about 20 were noticeably longer and sat up higher on edge. What's worse is I have another 15 that are too small and can't fit the cards at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I got 200 sleeves through the KS and every single one fit fine; lucky me.

I've seen others post about stretching the tight sleeves by putting them onto one of the larger card dividers. Maybe that'll work for those with sleeves that are not fitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if it's true or not, but it was said in another thread that they actually are rebranded Mayday sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MacDouglass Kinnick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hee Haw!
mbmbmbmbmb
I like turtles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh G. Rection
United States
La Mesa
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:
I don't know if it's true or not, but it was said in another thread that they actually are rebranded Mayday sleeves.

And that is specifically why I never buy sleeves that are part of a Kickstarter campaign, unless they say who will be making the sleeves. I have my own brand preferences, and Mayday definitely is not one of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DoomTurtle wrote:

Just for the record, i have been one of the people propagating that bit of (mis?)info, but always with a qualification along the lines of "supposedly...". i have indeed heard that the official sleeves are rebranded Maydays, but i've only heard it via BGG. i have found no SP source stating which manufacturer the sleeves are from.

In any case, two details would seem to support it:

1) when 7C first hit the market, there were, AFAIK, only 2 brands of 8cm sleeves, one of them Mayday. The other (whose name i cannot remember at the moment - it was a brand i'd never heard of) was significantly more expensive and they weren't widely available, whereas Maydays were. The supplier i looked at didn't have that "other brand" in quantities needed to support Real Sleevers of 7C.

2) Mayday has a widespread reputation for "sloppy sizing". While my 200-odd 1E 7C sleeves are all perfectly sized, i have had several instances of Mayday sleeves being horribly inconsistent in their size (up to 2-3mm in difference), and Mayday is always at the very bottom of my sleeve supplier list. (i bought Mayday sleeves for the rest of my 7C kit only because of point (1).)

In the meantime, other sources of 8cm sleeves have become available (most notably, IMO, docsmagic.de, who makes outstanding sleeves at great prices).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontus Olin
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed, I'm very disappointed with the sleeve quality. Each pack is just all over the place size wise. Most were too tight, some were impossible to fit, a handful were fine and some were almost loose, They're as bad as Mayfair (i.e. seemingly produced by drunken monkeys in the dark on a ship in a terrible storm. No quality control whatsoever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephanie Gustafsson
Sweden
Vallentuna
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:

1) when 7C first hit the market, there were, AFAIK, only 2 brands of 8cm sleeves, one of them Mayday. The other (whose name i cannot remember at the moment - it was a brand i'd never heard of) was significantly more expensive and they weren't widely available, whereas Maydays were. The supplier i looked at didn't have that "other brand" in quantities needed to support Real Sleevers of 7C.

Was the second sleeve company Mage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lanfearious wrote:
sgbeal wrote:

1) when 7C first hit the market, there were, AFAIK, only 2 brands of 8cm sleeves, ...

Was the second sleeve company Mage?

i honestly don't recall, but let's see if i can find the old thread...

Here we go /article/27123019.

Okay, i found 3, not 2, brands at the time: Mayday, Ultimate Guard, and Swan, but Swan was not available. The "second brand" mentioned earlier was UG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Surely no one expected SP to start their own sleeve manufacturing company? Of course they would outsource it to a company already doing the work.

2) Be aware that there is now official confirmation that some of the cards were printed at irregular sizes, which is why they are reprinting the whole set. Be sure to test the card sizes as well as the sleeves. If one sleeve fits perfectly, and another doesn't, test that ill-fitting sleeve of the card with the good fit. It might be the card, not the sleeve.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.