James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Playing through VG we got to the submarine lowered it but it turns out we had only one of the things you need to make it go. Then we tried to swim and failed ending up back on the original island feeling a bit tired. The board reset at that point.

When we eventually got back to the sub with both the things we needed it had been raised out of the water again so we had to do another strength check to get it back in.

Did we do this right? I’m pretty sure we did but seems a bit unfair to make us lower it again.

If I am right I’m hoping we run into the git that raised it up again so I can beat him around the head with my pan pipes.

[Admin edit of subject line to remove spoiler]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoon Onsky'
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Voracious Goddess [MASSIVE SPOILERS] - Submarine resetting question
Man, even your title is a spoiler...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drjmcmillan wrote:
Hi

Playing through VG we got to the submarine lowered it but it turns out we had only one of the things you need to make it go. Then we tried to swim and failed ending up back on the original island feeling a bit tired. The board reset at that point.

When we eventually got back to the sub with both the things we needed it had been raised out of the water again so we had to do another strength check to get it back in.

Did we do this right? I’m pretty sure we did but seems a bit unfair to make us lower it again.

If I am right I’m hoping we run into the git that raised it up again so I can beat him around the head with my pan pipes.

You may wish to edit your title to remove spoilers. A better title would be "017/024 reset question"

I took a look at the cards in question, and while I do think it doesn't make sense it is raised again (maybe the pulleys do try to keep it raised at all time), there is nothing banishing the card that keeps the sub raised so I think you did it correctly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob McArthur
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please change your title to not spoil it for others.

You should have ‘banished’ the original green card I believe. The game definitely doesn’t reset state like you experienced.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brie
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
robmcarthur2001 wrote:
Please change your title to not spoil it for others.

You should have ‘banished’ the original green card I believe. The game definitely doesn’t reset state like you experienced.

22 (observe) has you return 17 (raised) and replace it with 24 (lowered). Banish would make more sense, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jens Kreutzer
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spoiler (click to reveal)
I recall that the card that lowers the submarine says something along the lines of "You'd better hurry activating the submarine, or something might happen...". That is a hint. Unfortunately, there is no git. The pulley has a timed self-reset, it would appear. At least, it will be smooth running in your next attempt.

Don't fret, by the way: It took me eight attempts of the Voracious Goddess to finally find the second thing you need to activate the submarine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Jones
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
drjmcmillan wrote:
Hi

Hey! Any chance that we could change the topic, because now I know there's a submarine in VG, just because of my subscription list... <sigh>

Won't help me, but anyone else...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You have to raise it out of the water to examine and eventually repair it. It's heavy, so you need to expend effort. You have to lower it back into the water carefully, it's in bad enough shape already -- don't drop it!

Anyway it sounds like you played correctly. Short series of checks like this are pretty common.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
banishing won't work

(small spoiler (includes big spoiler in another spoiler)
as the new card has another number, you would never be able to come back, as you don't know which location to put there (or you would put the golden one)
which is even worse, as the submarine is gone there (the 17 got banned when you use the submarine to drive away (thus it isn't there anymore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James McMillan
Scotland
Cupar
Fife
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apologies for being totally stupid re the title. I was so nervous about spoiling I didn’t even think about the title. I know... it is as dumb as it sounds.

And thanks to those that posted despite of my stupidity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I think people were a little hard on you. You're spoiling something less than 20 minutes into the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:
Honestly I think people were a little hard on you. You're spoiling something less than 20 minutes into the game.

SPOILERS!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hoon Onsky'
Poland
Wrocław
Dolnośląskie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
brisingre wrote:

Not if you

leave the island different way

like on a raft

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lou Lessing
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can miss it, yeah. Still I don't think it's too big a deal, it's out in the open, in the tutorial, it's not like it's a puzzle solution or a story spoiler.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.