Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » Northeast

Subject: Where to buy boardgames in Upper West Side NY? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marcos Pan
msg tools
My sister is going to New York and she is willing to bring me some boardgames. Is there a good store (good prices and lots of boardgames) where she can buy that is close to her hotel (Central Park West Hotel, Upper West Side, US 10025)? I want to ask her Tzolkin, Alchemists King's Golem, Fresco, Magic Maze.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Honest suggestion: Amazon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, there isn't. Frankly, there is no game store in NYC that has great selection and good prices. Ordering from Amazon and having it shipped to the hotel is easily the best option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only option near the Upper West Side is Barnes and Noble which has a fairly sizable selection, as well as regular 15% off coupons if you sign up for an account online and opt in to their emails.

There's also a limited selection of games currently on sale for 30% off at various locations.

If you know what you want and don't need to browse shelves, I agree that ordering online and having games shipped is going to get you the best selection and prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Clarke
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Enjoy Your Life!!
badge
Game On!
mbmbmbmbmb
I live about a half an hour outside the city. The board game prices in NYC are pricey. Amazon, CSI, MM and any number of online retailers are much cheaper.

With that being said:
If your sister is staying at the Park West Hotel at 107th and Central Park West, there is a board game cafe called Hex and Company at 112th and Broadway (near Columbia University) that has a very good selection of BGs.

She won't find any good deals there, but they have a lot of stuff for purchase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe B
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I haven't been there, so I can't vouch but HexNYC recently is on the Upper West Side (Harlem, basically) http://hexnyc.com/

The prices will certainly be better on Amazon, but it might be worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xavier ciliento
msg tools
mbmbmb
I´m going in november, havent found good prices or selection, amazon is your best, safest, option, just be in the look out for price drops and order a week in advance, also, confirm that the hotel recives packages for guests.

I´ll hijack the post for a second, are there any places to go and play for free or less than 10u$? (anywhere on manhattan) PM me thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N C
msg tools
So I live on the Upper West Side, I can confirm that Hex & Co is your best and really only bet in that area. It's a nice little store, although definitely not discounted. But on the plus side you don't have to pay shipping and you can browse in store.

You can also play there but there is a price, maybe around 10$? Alternately if you search meetup.com there are several groups that play throughout the city in various places, sometimes for free.

There's a Barnes and Noble with games in the west 80s too, although the one in the east 80s has better selection. Or there is Complete Strategist, which is downtown on the east side, though I haven't been there in awhile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.