Raiders of the North Sea» Forums » General

Subject: typical noob question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
blair lafferty

Florida
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ok i've played the game and i like it as is, but its impossible to ignore the many expansions available. so the eternal question is always the same: what expansion is a good starting point?

thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are only two expansions: Hall of Heroes and Fields of Fame.

Hall of Heroes will appeal more if you enjoy hand management and resource-heavy games.
Fields of Fame will appeal more if you enjoy a bit more theme and risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Brown
United States
Tallahassee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since Raiders of the North Sea hit our club's game table last fall, it has been well received by almost all that have played it, and enthusiastically received by a few. The base game was a hit, but I grabbed the expansions and here is my experience so far.

Hall of Heroes significantly improves the already great gameplay of the base game. After I have explained the changes this expansion makes to the game, my game group is done with expansion talk and is ready to play the game. They don't want another add on that is going to further complicate the already challenging decision-making the game provides. So, to me, at this point, the fields of fame expansion is not needed. I think that eventually I'll be able to get it to the table as well, but frankly, I like the balance of gameplay provided with just the Hall of Heroes expansion. So, I recommend starting with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Conway
New Zealand
flag msg tools
I agree with Bryon.

I have both expansions, and for high player count games with first timers, I would recommend Hall of Heroes, as it’s a solid mechanic, and mead doesn’t add that much complexity.

Fields of Fane however is a bit more complex, and the persistent wound tokens make the Jarls less forgiving and heavier, which I find hard to explain in a way that makes it encouragable for first time players to want to dive into without seeing someone else build up to it first (and often that’s a few rounds in)

All in all I recommend both, but personally think Hall of Heroes is more important if you’re playing with new players and high player counts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rolando
msg tools
mb
Just to chime in with my .02. I picked up both expansions and incorporated both after one play without them. They are fantastic. This, however, is at home with my kids. We love the base game and they grasp the rules to the expansions pretty quickly. Plus, everything just looks cool all laid out on the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svi-tjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not think the expansions are necessary. I own them both and we always use them, but I realize that the base game can incorporate a 5:th and 6:th player, just by using 2 makeshift black Viking meeples.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
gaaloechild wrote:
the base game can incorporate a 5:th and 6:th player, just by using 2 makeshift black Viking meeples.

There's actually not enough opportunities on the board to have more than 4 players with only the base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve G
United States
West Grove
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
shem84 wrote:
gaaloechild wrote:
the base game can incorporate a 5:th and 6:th player, just by using 2 makeshift black Viking meeples.

There's actually not enough opportunities on the board to have more than 4 players with only the base game.

I don't quite follow this.... there's always only 3 workers in the village, so it must be constrained on raiding opportunities, but wouldn't more players just mean lower scores?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shem Phillips
New Zealand
Waikanae
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yea, much lower scores. To the point that it doesn't allow enough space or time for strategies to fully develop. There are only 23 raiding spots. Assuming they all get raided, that's only 4.6 raids per player with 5 and 3.8 per player with 6.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.