3 Posts

Elder Sign: Omens of the Deep» Forums » Rules

Subject: Special Circumstance Questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Van Dereck
msg tools
mbmb
So, my gf and I played our first game of Omens of the Deep today, and had a wonderful time with it! Several key questions occurred to me during play though, the answers to which were not 100% apparent from the rules:

1. The Mission Marker, "Wave of Destruction," reads: "You may fulfill this mission to return all monsters from all adventures to the monster cup." Intuition suggests that this mission refers exclusively to non Deep One Legion monsters, because of the reference to the "monster cup" as opposed to the "Deep One Legion Stockpile." However, the rules do explicitly refer to Deep One Legion as "monsters." So, how should it be interpreted? If it returns only non-Deep One Legion, it seems underpowered. If it includes all monsters, it seems a bit brokenly OP...

2. The Stage II Mythos card, "Unintelligible Voices..." reads, in part: "All adventures gain the following terror effect today, in addition to any other terror effects: Terror: A monster appears!" While playing an adventure with this effect active, I used an item to obtain the red die, rolled, failed a task, received terror, and drew a monster that locked the red die. I assume that the red die is immediately taken from me and locked? What would have happened had I already used it for a task on the adventure card?

3. The Stage II Mythos card, "Time Moves Backward..." reads, in part: 'Flip "Wreckage of the Ultima Thule" to "The Ultima Thule."' If the Ultima Thule has not sunk, does this part of the card have no effect?

4. If an Ancient One receives surplus Doom tokens, do the extra tokens have any effect?

5. If a single effect pushes the Omen Track in Stage I to the left of Start twice at once, do 2 Deep One Legion appear?

6. Finally, Dagon seems a bit trivial compared to his purported difficulty. So far as I understand his rules, investigators should just sit on Deep One Legion trophies, never allowing his attack effect to grow beyond -1 Sanity & -1 Stamina, under which condition he is quite beatable. Are there other effects in the expansion that enable Dagon to obtain Deep One Legion tokens, or is he really just quite trollable?

That's it for the first play-through. Hopefully there's nothing redundant here with other threads. I did look around quite a bit for answers...

Thanks in advance to everyone for your thoughts and replies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julia
msg tools
admin
designer
We have dragged Reason from her Throne and set in her place the Empress of Dreams [liber Endvra]
badge
Amor, sola lex
mbmbmbmbmb
Doh, that's a bunch of good questions. Some answers follow:

1. I think the keyword here is monster cup, so that it doesn't target DOL (not underpowered imo because you can use it in a lot of other settings, not necessarily an OotD game), BUT I can see this ruled also in the other way. If no one else has a better answer, I'm asking Dane.

2. Yes, the die is immediately taken and locked. As for the what if it had already been spent... I'd say that once spent, it's spent, so that if after the resolution phase, when spent dice are returned to the pool, that new red lock is still in play, the die goes locked. But it's not covered by the rules either

3. Correct

4. Don't remember if this is officially FAQed, but it's been asked several times and we should have at least one official answer: once the doom track is maxed out, no further dooms can be added, unless it's coded on the AO card

5. Each effect is resolved one at a time

6. Dagon's not too difficult, but remember that when the AO wakes up, all monsters in play are discarded, so that any DOL actually in play is immediately added to Dagon's sheet to boost his attack. Then of course, if you play on keeping the DOL in play to zero, final battle isn't difficult
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Van Dereck
msg tools
mbmb
1. Ridiculously, I can see this one ruled 3 ways. As written, it seems to imply that all of the Deep One Legion in play go with all other monsters into the monster cup. I'm sure that's not the intent. It could also mean that Deep One Legion go back into the Stockpile and monsters go back into the Cup, but that's definitely not what it says. And finally, it probably just means monsters go back to the Cup and Deep One Legion stay put... but that's not exactly what it says either...

2. Makes sense, and that's how I ruled it. But it's harsh. Feels bad using up a card to get a die only to have it locked before you can get any value from it...

6. Thanks for the pointer. We definitely erred here, simply wiping one or two Deep One Legion at the end instead of ramping up Dagon. Might have been nice if the rules were more explicit with a reminder. Essentially, Deep One Legion on board are the only way Dagon is likely to be powered then, as smart players will always sit on their trophies...

Reading back over the rules, I've also caught one or two other errors we made in rules application, but I think it's mostly clear at this point. If no one else has ideas on the Wave of Destruction card though, we should probably ask the designer. Seems very unclear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.