Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: How do you deal with the enormous stacks of cards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Guillaume Guigue
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have all the expansions, sleeved the cards, and the small cards are incredibly annoying. Does anyone have tips to shuffle these? Also, you're supposed to shuffle the condition stack when you return a condition, do anyone do that? I mean, most of the time I have 2 or 3 stacks so that it doesn't fail! Personally, what I do is that when I have to get a card I put all the card viewed on top so that I get a bit of randomization, but I just put the conditions back on top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote this year's Tremors film: "Gravity never loses. The best we can hope for is a draw."

So... go horizontal:

i shuffle conditions only during teardown. During play i just slip them in the back of the conditions pile (one pile per type except for that annoying one which has two types). i have never come close to cycling through a given condition deck in a single session. Equipment: for sanity's sake i keep all possible starting equipment in its own deck and only use it for handing out starting equipment. Certain types of unique assets (Tasks and Allies, iirc) are in their own mini-decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Driss
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes it's annoying and yes you are supposed to shuffle them every time. I don't know a way around that. These small cards are annoying and my biggest complaint about this game is every expansion seems to favor more small cards over the big ones. I am good on unique asset tasks and talent conditions thank you, yet I am sure they will comprise 30% of the next expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
I use eRaptor card holders. See also here: e-Raptor Card Holders 18L and 18S - now you can play Arkham Horror on a camping table

My condition cards are separated in five different decks, according to their type. The spells are separated the same way into three decks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
NSKN are publishing my next game :)
badge
Omega Centauri Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
I've got 2 of the eraptor small card holders
http://www.e-raptor.pl/board_game_card_holder_5S_solid

So I've split the small cards into different decks:
Assets
Artifacts
Unique Assets (items)
Unique Assets (Allies)
Tasks & Talents

Spells
Boons
Banes, Pursuit & Restrictions
Exposure, Illness, Injury & Madness
Deal

I keep them in the holders (which fit in the box, just).

Makes shuffling much easier, as we just shuffle the individual small stacks.

** ninja and with a cool photo too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the case of conditions, many separate them into smaller stacks by trait, which may make things easier.

In addition although the rules say that you should shuffle every time you discard and after drawing a double sided card. It seems that it would be easier if you just shuffled before drawing a card. This would reduce the amount of shuffling (if you draw 1 card and discard 3 you would only shuffle once rather than 4 times)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I de-sleeved all of my small cards and ordered them alphabetically. The next time I play, I plan to use the web app to randomly select cards so that they're easy to find without having to shuffle massive stacks of cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a bunch of conditions sorted into a set of these 3D printed trays: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:989153. This is used for conditions that you almost always just obtain directly by name (Debt, Promise of Power, Dark Pact, Hypothermia, Lost in Time and Space, etc.)

I think have various smaller Condition piles in these categories:
* ILLNES/INJURY conditions
* MADNESS conditions
* BOON/TALENT conditions
* BANE conditions
Maybe 1 other pile, I can't remember offhand (restriction/pursuit?)

My Spells, Assets, and Artifacts are all still each in their own giant pile. We frequently just cut the deck if we need something random out of it. We almost never shuffle the entire thing except for at the beginning of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hengst II
United States
Falls Church
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, for what it is worth, my group only uses one expansion and the base game at a time, so we generally just shuffle it as required. I cannot imagine including everything I have in one game at this point.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will be playing with everything tomorrow! Can't wait. It's sheer madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Stratton
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
Equipment: for sanity's sake i keep all possible starting equipment in its own deck and only use it for handing out starting equipment. Certain types of unique assets (Tasks and Allies, iirc) are in their own mini-decks.

I thought about doing this but worried it would remove too many weapons from the common item deck. There is a high percent of weapons that are starting equipment. Lack of weapons showing up in the reserve wasn't an issue?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Strattjw wrote:
sgbeal wrote:
Equipment: for sanity's sake i keep all possible starting equipment in its own deck and only use it for handing out starting equipment. Certain types of unique assets (Tasks and Allies, iirc) are in their own mini-decks.

I thought about doing this but worried it would remove too many weapons from the common item deck. There is a high percent of weapons that are starting equipment. Lack of weapons showing up in the reserve wasn't an issue?

With all expansions, you only ever see a small fraction of the equipment cards in any one session, so i think that concern is unjustified (but it appears to be a common one). The time it saves me during setup is easily worth it to me. Granted, i must take care during teardown to get the "starting" items back into the separate deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris B.
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
To succeed in life, you need two things: ignorance and confidence -Mark Twain
badge
ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldritch horror companion is a 3rd party app that simulates all encounter decks. Cuts deck and table bloat by a ton. Still need to use minis though. I just pass the tablet for encounters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
Will be playing with everything tomorrow! Can't wait. It's sheer madness.

I have to wait until Saturday! Just one sideboard though ... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam S
msg tools
The smaller cards in the reserve (items, trinkets, services, etc. . . ) are the same size as zombicide cards. I used the zombicide deck holder to keep the reserve from toppling over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry L
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
He who games with the most dice wins.
badge
I + I = 0
mbmbmbmbmb
ggdabuh wrote:
I have all the expansions, sleeved the cards, and the small cards are incredibly annoying. Does anyone have tips to shuffle these? Also, you're supposed to shuffle the condition stack when you return a condition, do anyone do that? I mean, most of the time I have 2 or 3 stacks so that it doesn't fail! Personally, what I do is that when I have to get a card I put all the card viewed on top so that I get a bit of randomization, but I just put the conditions back on top.

I also keep conditions in a couple separate decks, and also do not shuffle every time. I will frequently do a Scarne-like cut or two. Once in a while I will shuffle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Birkai Qutuz
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My storage and playing solution that I posted about lets me play the game in a small area comfortably and efficiently. The trays are removable and the Uberstax let me play multi-handed easily

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kai Herbertz
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ggdabuh wrote:

The conditions are in one deck and when you discard a condition it goes underneath the gigantic condition deck. Putting it on the top would make you draw the same card over and over again.

Likewise, when you look for a specific condition, for example taking a debt, then all the cards from the condition deck that you took from the top while searching go underneath the big condition deck after you've found the card you were looking for.

That way, you don't need to shuffle, but achieve suitably "random" results (I say suitably, because someone with a perfect memory and knowledge of the position of each card could theoretically predict what's going to happen, but people like that are not part of my gaming group).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nelvin C.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
KaiHerbertz wrote:
The conditions are in one deck and when you discard a condition it goes underneath the gigantic condition deck. Putting it on the top would make you draw the same card over and over again.

Likewise, when you look for a specific condition, for example taking a debt, then all the cards from the condition deck that you took from the top while searching go underneath the big condition deck after you've found the card you were looking for.

That way, you don't need to shuffle, but achieve suitably "random" results (I say suitably, because someone with a perfect memory and knowledge of the position of each card could theoretically predict what's going to happen, but people like that are not part of my gaming group).

Just wanna chip in and say, the official rule is that double-sided cards (conditions and spells, etc) should be drawn from the back of the deck (bottom of the deck), so that you won't know what's coming up next, and discarded to the front (top - though the rules require you to reshuffle with every discard, when a deck has a lot of cards, it does not matter).

That's why most people just take from the back (you can't see what you get) and then discard to the top.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Vallina
United States
Buffalo
NY
flag msg tools
if I'm Andy, is Zack April? seems right...
badge
"All my favorite foods have butter on them. Pancakes, toast, popcorn, grapes...butter is my favorite food!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Faranim wrote:
I have a bunch of conditions sorted into a set of these 3D printed trays: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:989153. This is used for conditions that you almost always just obtain directly by name (Debt, Promise of Power, Dark Pact, Hypothermia, Lost in Time and Space, etc.)

I think have various smaller Condition piles in these categories:
* ILLNES/INJURY conditions
* MADNESS conditions
* BOON/TALENT conditions
* BANE conditions
Maybe 1 other pile, I can't remember offhand (restriction/pursuit?)

My Spells, Assets, and Artifacts are all still each in their own giant pile. We frequently just cut the deck if we need something random out of it. We almost never shuffle the entire thing except for at the beginning of the game.
I have these too, for all conditions. I don't have a 3d printer. got them cheaply here:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/586991148/eldritch-horror-condi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Black
United States
Colonie
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Definitely separate out the Conditions by Type. The only exception I make is that I combine Talents and Boons into one stack, because of Composed which is annoyingly both.

Separating out your Unique Assets into three specific piles resolves a lot of headaches:

Task Unique Assets

Character Unique Assets

All Remaining Unique Assets

--There's a few Ally Unique Assets that you could probably toss in with the Characters since they always have to be found specifically by name, but I'm just concerned someone will take one when they should get a Character so I leave them with this pile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.