Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jon Snow
United States
New York City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking back at my Blood Rage Game Log, I see I played it 21 times. Having missed the Kickstarter and having had a pal assemble all of the game play (as opposed to pure chrome) KS pieces from several countries on the internet, I'd gotten a late start. But I loved the game, and made up for my slow take off by playing it as often as I could. With experienced players, I use all of the expansions such as Mystics and The Gods. Its been six months or so since I've taken if off the shelf, being busy playing newer games. But recently one of the seven new pals I've met here on BGG to play the second game has said his whole group would love to try BR, and so I suggested they all come over some time for it. Whether this happens or not, I'm sure it will come back to the table. My BR review is here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1506719/blood-rage-viki...

I now have the full Kickstarter version of Rising Sun, which I like even more than the first game. I've now played 15 games of Rising Sun; the 16th next weekend will signal my second complete cycle through playing all eight factions. I've only won once, but then I play against some very good players, and I've come close several other times. With experienced players, I use the extra monsters rotated in two per season, Dynasty Invasion, and in the last few games, Kami UnBound. In terms of experimentation, I played one game randomly putting out one season card from each of the five decks; which worked just fine (see my cards lists in the Files section if you want to discover the possibilities)!

For my basic take on RS so far, see here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1949429/tao-rising-sun

If you are in the New York City area and want to play RS, see here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1929280/nyc-gamers-risi...

Now that my first spurt of RS plays is almost finished, and fewer people seem to be signing up to play it for now, I taking a moment for reflection. I consider Blood Rage an A and Rising Sun an A+. I'm not uncritcal; I was disappointed in BR's first draft, Midgard, and chucked it after only a few plays. While they are different games, BR does show some design improvement just in terms of components manipulation, such as having the different clan sculpts molded in the clan colors, and etc.

Since I've done lots of RS plays in a shorter period of time than I did for BR, I'm not expecting to see Mr. Lang's third myth game for at least another year and a half. But I'll probably be on board, since they do it for me. Liking a particular game is subjective, but I haven't tried it with anyone who didn't like it yet, out of 17 other players.

I have BR stored comfortably in two boxes, without any custom containers. RS is in three. Will the next game go to four? Either way, I am looking forward to it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron S-F
msg tools
If you have not already tried it, My group has really enjoyed a variant where the kami are re-selected at the end of each season.

We also tried a "legacy" variant where a final point was chosen (I believe it was 250 or 300) and then rather than ending with winter, scores were totaled and if no one has won yet, additional cards are added, new Kami selected and play continued. Certain cards are incredibly powerful, such as the winter bonuses which can earn 30-50 points total, yet it balances out because one who focuses on acquiring monsters can set up nearly unbeatable armies in a number of provinces.

Overall, I agree with your assessment of it being an absolutely excellent game! It is quite quickly becoming one of my favorites to have on the table
(though not to set up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
arah
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think one is strictly better than the other. I would prefer BR if I wanted something faster that plays with 3 or 5 players, and RS if I wanted something heavier for 4. The variety and cards are better in RS, but BR still has some magic left.

swindy92 wrote:
It is quite quickly becoming one of my favorites to have on the table (though not to set up).

Host should pre set the game in a big table and have a second, smaller table ready to play fillers until everyone arrives. Jokes aside, if everyone helps to set up and store and it is very fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.