Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Shewan
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There’s only been a few stand-alone versions of Settlers of a Catan that have set maps, two of which have religious roots. The first was Settlers of Canaan, set in the story of the Bible, specifically the Israelites in Canaan. The other is Settlers of Zarahemla, set in the story of the Book of Mormon. I can’t review these in comparison as I’ve never played the latter.
But, I believe they were both created as a way to draw religious minded people into the wonderful world of board gaming, and I’d say there’s no better introduction (at least historically) than Settlers.

The biggest difference is Settlers of Canaan has a set board, in the shape of Canaan. Some hex shaped lakes divide the map as well, so not all spaces are equal. The trade points are set as well, so specific area are better for the different resources and create monopolies fairly easily surrounding the corresponding trade point. Players can stick to these advantageous areas, but they are more remote to one of the particular keys to Settlers of Canaan, the city of Jerusalem.

Having a stake in the building of the wall, specifically pieces in their color, can provide 2 VPs and an additional trade bonus of 2:1 of any resource of their choice. So, any player who monopolizes the wall building is ultimately a better choice, especially since this version goes up to 12 VP to win.

If you do not typically find a strategy that wins and stick with, but rather enjoy trying new strategies for the enjoyment of a game, then Settlers of Canaan can be a great way to experience a variation on a classic.

So journey back to ancient Biblical times and grab a tribe of Israel to settle Canaan, the land milk and honey, ad help build the wall of Jerusalem in the time of Solomon. Did I mention some timelines don’t quite match up? Is this when Israel just landed in Canaan after wandering the desert or after returning from captivity to rebuild the wall in Jerusalem? Or just when Solomon rebuilt the temple, which is another game completely from Cactus Game Design.

I give the game on BGG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Religios" games always teeter on the edage of are they a viable way to introduce the targeted demographic to gaming (and is it a GOOD game) to is it boarderline disrespectful to make a game out of a topic that people of that religion deem serious?

I've always wanted to pick up a copy of this for game nights that were hosted as church events. Alas, by the time I was genuinely looking to pick it up, the local bible bookstores weren't carrying it anymore.

I always envisioned the wallbuilding thing to be the rebuilding in Nehemiah's day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Abraham Drucker
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
MOAR GAMES
badge
Damn Dirty Ape I Love You
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought it because it had a two player version out of the box, while Settlers is 3-4 players. There are two player variants now, but not really when this came out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.