1 Posts

Cutthroat Caverns: Deeper & Darker» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A Mini-Review for a Mini-Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Cook
United States
flag msg tools
Deeper & Darker is the first expansion for Smirk & Dagger's new Cutthroat Caverns, a new twist on the old-school dungeon delve. For most of the gameplay, check out the main Cutthroat Caverns page, where I've already posted a review. I've got no idea when this thing will hit store shelves, but I managed to snag a copy of this (along with the core game) at GenCon this year, and I just wanted to share some news about what it includes.

The first thing it introduces is the concept of character abilities. Before, each character was exactly the same, save for the art on the character card. Now, each has a special ability that can be implemented once per game (not encounter, but game) to add a bit of variety. And while I initially thought that only one use per game was quite light, they each have the capacity to be game-breaking, from invulnerability for an entire battle to sneaking in a potentially unblockable killing blow at just the right moment.

The other new addition is a collection of 15 new encounters, as varied as the originals. Many have unique abilities, such as sparing whoever played the last Action card (and doing more damage the more get played!), and are just as fun (if not more) than the original. My favorite has to be the Obsidian Gate--an opportunity to select the encounter you face, including bringing it ones downloaded from the website, or even homegrown ones (once this gets a wider release, maybe we'll see some uploaded here?).

All in all, a worthy addition to this great game, and I look forward to what the future holds.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.