mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Note* - not a tournament report

If you attended the pre-release this weekend how did you like the experience, cards and tournament play?

It had been a long time since I attended a pre-release, maybe Zendikar? IDK but when I saw the ads for this set (Dominaria) I just felt like it was time to at least have a looksee.

The last time I went to a pre-release they were run by tournament organizers, not so anymore, the pre-releases are now run by local stores so that was different. I guess there's no more "75 Additional Cards" packs but I do like what we did have; a box with promos, 6 boosters, a d20 and a little guide on how to build a deck which was the best advice I've seen in a long time (simple).

No more registering all your cards then packing them back into the box then switching with another, that's what was done the last time I did played in a PR.

The other thing that's different OR I mis-remembered was if you mulligan you get to Scry (1).....and if you lost the first game in a match you get to choose to go first for the next game. I thought the winner got to choose, oh well, that's a nice change (or maybe I forgot it was always that way)

on a negative side and from my perspective only I had forgotten about the stereotypical personality types that Magic attracts, I've had several bad experiences in the past with opponents but yesterday there were none of the really bad ones just the usual, I don't feel like going into any description because what's annoying to me may not be to someone else.

How was your day at the PR if you went?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Demers
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
“So most men teach, and few men learn.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
badge
“Let the unseen days be. Today is more than enough.” ~Sador, The Children of Hurin
mbmbmbmbmb
I typed up some of my thoughts here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/76110/post-dominaria-prer...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Martin
United Kingdom
Lincoln
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It was my first ever pre-release, and I had a lot of fun. I ended up going 1-4 (with the 1 being a bye whistle) but it didn't stop me having a laugh and learning more about the game. I ended up getting loads of blue cards in my boosters, but I've always been cack at playing blue. So I tried to fudge a white and black deck together which always ran out of steam halfway through a game, resulting in total defeat. I'd definitely take part in another event like this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
My son and I attended our third pre-release. We've been playing for just over a year and a half. This was probably the best (Kaladesh's pre-release was also very good). As a downside, the venue was overbooked / super crowded. But the crowd was diverse, relaxed, and by-and-large having fun.

It helped that the set is low on jank rares/mythics - so everyone's pool seemed to support some sort of viable strategy. I pulled "Muldrotha, The Gravetide" and was able to make UG with a splash of black work. It wasn't going to win the tournament, but promised to be a fun ride. I finished with three draws and a loss. The games slooow (hence all the draws) but they were fun. I didn't see anyone with really insane decks, you know the type that are brewed from amazing (almost unbelievable) pools. But then again, it was a Swiss tournament, so give my record, I was quickly relegated to the middle of the pack, and never faced off against best decks in room.

Happily my son had a couple bomb rares (Demonlord B and Multani) and was able to craft a solid BG deck which he took to 2 wins before falling against some of the top tier decks/gamers in the tourney.

There also seemed to be _a lot_ of returning gamers and even some newcomers at the event, which was great to see as well.

So we had a great pre-release. We pulled some sweet cards (esp. for Commander) and enjoyed the company of our fellow gamers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I had a great time, like usual.

It was crowded!!!
70+ attendes, which was the biggest I've seen, since Amonkhet (for me).

I had a perfect sealed deck. But apparently I always do so.
Went whtie-black angels.
2 - 0 win
0 - 2 loss
2 - 1 win

I love prerelease
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
How was your day at the PR if you went?

My first pre-release event and only my second ever event after most of two decades away from the game. And I decided to go to a Midnight pre-release!

It was an absolute blast.

I was expecting to be way off the oldest end of the player scale (I'm in my 40s) and was pleasantly surprised to find a handful of the 30+ attendees not only my age, but also in my same situation - returning to the game after long absence.

At both events I've attended this month, at two different NYC stores, I have been impressed with both the way the store staff running the event have kept things running smoothly with no fuss, and how friendly and helpful all the other players have been. None of the negative stereotypes mentioned by the OP above.

I am enjoying this set of cards. I built a Blue / White / Artifact deck, in large part to leverage a Saga I was excited to play, The Antiquities War. After going 1-2 in draft earlier in the month (with the 1 win being a bye) I was not expecting to be especially competitive, and this appeared to hold true as the deck sputtered and was defeated in my first game against a mono-black. Then in the second game it clicked, hitting drops in 5 straight turns (including the Saga) and steamrolling my opponent. The third game was close, and again the Saga put me over the top for my first real DCI official win.

I was then soundly stomped in two straight by an extremely well built and played Black / White deck. Interestingly, I did not draw the Saga in either game.

Next up was another Black / White deck, but this time the Saga appeared and I won a pair of close games.

By now if was coming up on 4am and my final match was against a barely 20-something who clearly played regularly and took his Magic seriously. If I was going to encounter any of the bad behavior, I guess this was where it would have come from, but in fact this was the chattiest match of the night as we discussed our histories with the game, our experiences on the night. This match was over supremely quickly, however, as I don't think my opponent drew six lands across both games. A somewhat anticlimactic finale, although I was impressed at how graciously my opponent took his freak loss. (He confirmed that he was carrying the standard 17 lands. He essentially just didn't draw any beyond the opening hands . . .)

In all, my first pre-release experience was everything I hoped it would be. I was reminded of how much I actually enjoy actually playing the game, the unexpected pleasures of the surprises waiting for you in an opponent's deck, the camaraderie of dozens of people excited about a thing you love.

Looking forward to much more draft and sealed Dominaria in the coming months!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Franco
United States
Maplewood
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
If you could touch the alien sand and hear the cries of strange birds and watch them wheel in another sky, would that satisfy you?
mbmbmbmbmb
killerjoe1962 wrote:
The other thing that's different OR I mis-remembered was if you mulligan you get to Scry (1)

You didn't mis-remember this. This was a change that has happened around 2015.

killerjoe1962 wrote:
.....and if you lost the first game in a match you get to choose to go first for the next game. I thought the winner got to choose, oh well, that's a nice change (or maybe I forgot it was always that way)

I started playing in Worldwake, and I've always recalled all games after game 1 beginning this way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I did two two headed giant tournaments and went 2-2 in both of them. Enjoyed hanging with friends. Got totally blown out by Jaya Super Blast or whatever it is called in two games.

Decided I really don't like 2HG much. I spend more time discussing (and even worse waiting for opponents to discuss) than actually playing.

Pulled a few cool cards and am really excited to Draft the set rather than.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh discussing the OP memories.

Fairly sure the Big Prerelease vs the in store prerelease changed about Shadowmoor. So a little before Zendikar.

The scry after mulligan is new.

Loser chooses has been that way forever. (Since Mirage anyway.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't recall ever having to register cards and then trade at a prerelease, not even the Champions of Kamigawa one that was my first event (though we did have the 75-card tournament packs at that time).

Dominaria was great. I'm one of those people for whom the nostalgia was a major draw (started playing with Starter '99 and Invasion and only took short-ish breaks since then) and the set did not disappoint. Everyone at the store was great, which was nice because I've been to events in the past both at this FLGS and in other cities I've lived in where there was at least one guy who was a sore loser (especially when beaten by a woman or a child), and at least one guy who was such a competitive player that they acted like the whole event was a Grand Prix.

My pool wasn't great. I had one, maybe two packs that actually had more than one Legendary card in them, two of my rares were lands, and I pulled no sagas. cry The pool was basically presenting me with four partial decks (half a Goblin deck, half a Knight deck, half a Thallid deck, less than half a Wizard deck) and no real historic support. I built the best deck I could out of what I had though (kind of agro Jund deck with a splash of blue for a single good enchantment), and I went 2-2 and had a blast.

My first match was against a guy running an historic deck, who managed to cast Thraxos (only untaps if you cast an historic spell) and actually attack with twice. I won two straight games against him.

Next matchup was against someone else running Jund as well, and their deck ran better at least in part to having better Legendary cards to work with in those colors. We went to game three but it was ultimately my loss.

Third matchup was against someone running white-blue who took our first two games down to the wire with low life totals on both sides. I managed to pull off using a black Legendary creature to reset my life total to 10, though, removed his creatures, and was able to swing in for lethal. Third game my deck really played the aggressive archetype well, and I was able to consistently drop hasted creatures and attack with them while removing the few creatures he could drop, and I pulled out a win on game three.

Last matchup my deck stalled out. Multiple mulligans weren't able to mitigate the problems my opening hand had, my deck ran slow, and I was taken down in two games. My mana base in the second game was nuts. Two lands that didn't produce colored mana (one was in there for the scry 1, the other could filter into lots of black mana under the right conditions), and no green, with a fistful of green spells after the first two creatures I cast.

The best part of the day was taking my 11-year-old daughter along with me so she could see how a prerelease went, so that in the future she could actually participate (she's been playing casually for a few years now, and handled herself quite well at the Unstable draft we did).

And hey, our store hands out a pack per win, so I came home with a pair of Dominaria packs to play Mini-Master/Pack Wars with my husband, who wasn't able to attend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KogarashiKaze wrote:
(especially when beaten by a woman or a child)

This reminds me that there was one thing that bothered me about the event I attended. It was 100% male.

(Less bothered by the fact it was 100% adult seeing as the start time was Midnight!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda W
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nycavri wrote:
KogarashiKaze wrote:
(especially when beaten by a woman or a child)

This reminds me that there was one thing that bothered me about the event I attended. It was 100% male.

(Less bothered by the fact it was 100% adult seeing as the start time was Midnight!)

Sadly, it happens. Quite a lot. The one I attended had three women, including myself. My daughter didn't count as she was just a spectator. It'd be nice to find/start up a Lady Planeswalker group in my area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pascal Van Vlaenderen
Belgium
Lissewege
Belgie
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There were 2 female players and 1 spectator where I played.
I hardly ever see women play mtg, which is certainly not true for other games.

I’m trying to convince the next generation already: my daughter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.