Subject: Would this fit in my collection? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had my eye on Terraforming Mars for a while now, but can't quite pull the trigger. I'd probably play it solo or with my wife, who isn't really a "gamer".

I've seen it compared to a "longer, uglier Race for the Galaxy", which I already have, but i'm not crazy about.

I've also seen it compared to Imperial Settlers, which I also have, but don't play much (that small font on the cards doesn't help these old eyes either).

I love the idea of TM, but is it duplicating things I already have? I had kind of decided to pass on it, but it's on the Daily Deal at amazon today, which is making me consider it again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a tableau-builder, but I wouldn't compare it to Race for the Galaxy. The gameplay is excellent, however if your wife isn't really a gamer, she might have a problem playing this. That said, solo is pretty fun and that's coming from someone for whom a solo game really needs to stand out for me to enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RyuSora
Brazil
Sao Paulo
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try before you buy. Coming in TM forum to ask if the game is awesome the answer will likely be YES. And i considering this to be one of the best games i have ever played!

But as i said, try before you buy if possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason DuVall

Compton
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
With regard to the "longer, uglier RftG" comment... I hated RftG (well, not hated, but certainly didn't enjoy to any degree). I was intrigued with TfM from the first time I saw it, and loved it after my first playthrough.

In comparison, the next game I bought AFTER TfM was Downforce, and I was still uncertain about it after my first time playing it. After my second, I'm still not really sure if this is going to be in my "game box," but I'm far less likely to just chuck it and get something else now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't feel that much like Race to me - speaking as someone who loves both games. Yes, you're building a tableau in each case, but Race is all about phase selection, and there's nothing of the sort in TFM.

So what do I love about TFM?

1) The tension of drawing cards that you want to buy, but can't afford to.
2) The skill of reading the game-state to see which parameters are increasing faster than others and making decisions accordingly.
3) The race for milestones and the risk of funding awards.
4) The fun when a microbe engine comes together.
5) I could go on . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my favorite bits of tension is when you take a chance on a card and you're just praying that someone doesn't bump one of the parameters too high that you can't play it. Great stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could say it's similar to Imperial Settlers. You are building an "engine" which produces VP. Timing of your engine is important (don't go too fast too soon) and other players' actions directly affect you. I'm hard pressed to see playing it solo will give you the game's full potential. Also, it's probably not the best choice for a "non-gamer spouse."

I agree it's tempting at the discount price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
I've seen it compared to a "longer, uglier Race for the Galaxy", which I already have, but i'm not crazy about.
That's not a very good comparison.

Ringworm wrote:
I've also seen it compared to Imperial Settlers, which I also have, but don't play much (that small font on the cards doesn't help these old eyes either).
That's probably a better comparison... but I still think it's a lot different than Imperial Settlers.

Ringworm wrote:
I love the idea of TM, but is it duplicating things I already have?
No. Race for the Galaxy scratches an entirely different itch for me. It's more about deciding what to do with cards, building an engine to get cards, and a race to get more points by the end of the game (which I guess all victory point games are, but it literally feels like you're racing). Terraforming Mars is more of a tableau engine building game. I've only played IS twice, but it had a very different feel than TM.

Almost every person I know has enjoyed it. I've played it 90 times in the past year and a half. I played it 2 player yesterday and enjoyed it. It's great with 2 (while many other games that say 2-4 or 2-5 just aren't).

Ringworm wrote:
I had kind of decided to pass on it, but it's on the Daily Deal at amazon today, which is making me consider it again.
It's a steal. You can't pass it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Noel
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ringworm wrote:
(that small font on the cards doesn't help these old eyes either).

Ease of readability is one of the big things I like about TM. The cards all have good iconography as well as text explanations. Most of the game state can be read from the central board and the production tracks on the player boards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think it is a fantastic game, but that doesn't mean it is for everybody. In particular, if you are looking for something to play with your wife who is a nonenthusiast, TFM might not be a great choice. On the other hand, if you have occasional opportunities to play with other gamers, it is a fine choice. It is also a good solo play if you enjoy that (I don't very much - I'd rather read a book).

I wouldn't get too hung up on the comparisons to Race for the Galaxy, which I think are exaggerated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Fryxelius
Sweden
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,
Having been on the TM forums for a while, I've seen a few player types that don't enjoy TM much:

TM is not for you if you can't stand
1) Longer games
2) Take that
3) No take that
4) Some randomness
5) Non-luxury editions

Other than that, it seems most people enjoy the game. One thing that surprised us is how many players tell us their wives really enjoy the game, even if they weren't much into gaming before.

I think it's a combination of a relatively peaceful game where you kind of work together, while still being competitive, challenging and educational in an inviting way. Just a feeling I have.

I hope you make a good choice for you.
Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:

2) Take that
3) No take that
Sometimes you can't win for losing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
Fryxen wrote:

2) Take that
3) No take that
Sometimes you can't win for losing.

This aspect often amuses me. Some people say they want more player interaction, others can hardly tolerate what interaction there is. To me it suggests that TFM is drawing players from a wide range of gamers and preferences.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gringe Commander
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
I would say that a non-hardcore-gamer has little fun playing TM.
Which games does your wife like? Which ones you play often?

Playing TM, you need to know all the cards, that are available in the game, which takes a couple of games, or you sit down and start reading each card. Without that knowledge the game is very random.
And I am not sure if its a good two-player. I prefer twoplayer-games that have more interaction, and where i can react to my partners moves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you should expect your wife to like it.

I'd get the app if all you want to do is solo. Comes out in a month or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
GringeCommander wrote:
I would say that a non-hardcore-gamer has little fun playing TM.
Playing TM, you need to know all the cards

I disagree. Playing without drafting, the luck part quite diminish any advantage of having any knowledge about the cards pool.

For example, Blood Rage is a game where knowing the cards in advance (from Age 2 and 3) plays huge part, since big part of the game is attacking your opponents and exploiting any mistake.

As a 2nd example, the 1st time I played TM, we were 4, 2 of which were hardcore boardgame players that have played TM before (one of them was the owner of the game).

So I got Tharsis Republic and something other corporation that I consider too complicated, while more money = good looked simple. Without knowing much or having any strategy, I got the card "Artic Algae" (you get plants when someone place an ocean) and I got few Event cards placing oceans. And combined with the placement bonus plants, I placed decent amount of Forests next to my cities. and back then Venus Next was not out, thus putting quite some oceans followed by bunch of Forests, I shortened the game quite a lot, and their better knowledge of the game and optimized engines had no time to kick in ... and I won by big margin.

The TM learning curve and randomness is in good favor for new players and the game, as many other Euro games, is quite forgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Count Ringworm
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the feedback, all. Gave me something to chew on. I just went to Amazon to check and it's apparently not available at the deal price anymore- either sold out or wasn't supposed to be there to begin with.

At the special price, I was more willing to take a risk on it (figuring full well the wife wouldn't like it, but worth it anyway), but not at the 'normal' amazon price.

I also knew the 'risk' of asking in the TfM forum, but I assumed people would be objective enough to give an honest opinion. Glad to see that was the case!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Fryxen wrote:
Hi,
Having been on the TM forums for a while, I've seen a few player types that don't enjoy TM much:

1) Longer games
2) Take that
3) No take that
4) Some randomness
5) Non-luxury editions

Other than that, it seems most people enjoy the game. One thing that surprised us is how many players tell us their wives really enjoy the game, even if they weren't much into gaming before.

I think it's a combination of a relatively peaceful game where you kind of work together, while still being competitive, challenging and educational in an inviting way. Just a feeling I have.

I hope you make a good choice for you.
Cheers!
Concur with most of this but my additional caveat would be that this game is not at its best with just two players, especially if your partner is not a died-in-the-wool gamer. I'm not a fan of the solo version either, although I might try it once the digital 'port becomes available. But you'll see lots of fans of the solo game. Tough decision!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hopefully you enjoy, and I mean REALLY enjoy, pushing little clear plastic cubes on production tracks and into little piles and then bumping the table and knocking them out of position.

because what game is fun if you aren't doing that, ad-freaking-infinitum?

added bonus, the flecks of copper, silver and gold metallic paint that you don't see in your party mix bowl of point salad are the ones you've already eaten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteyWA wrote:
hopefully you enjoy, and I mean REALLY enjoy, pushing little clear plastic cubes on production tracks and into little piles and then bumping the table and knocking them out of position.

I don't understand why some people apparently haven't upgraded to solid marble gaming tables.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Collins
Canada
Prince Rupert
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:
PeteyWA wrote:

I don't understand why some people apparently haven't upgraded to solid marble gaming tables.

now I hadn't thought of that...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.