Zulus on the Ramparts!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Retreating zulu rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Trifan

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
Quick question. I have a Zulu in -1 space and then 2 Zulu in the 0 spaces. Both of those in the zero had a 2 movement but they were stopped by the guy in the -1 and thus are stuck in the 0 box. Now I fire on the -1 guy and he has to retreat 2 spaces. It states when retreating a unit it displaced a unit back one box and the continues its own retreat. Since both boxes are filled, which one of the two do I retreat?

I’m just confused as to wording regarding interior box because according to 5.1.2 an ibutho cannot winter interior box if there is another ibutho there. Technically the 0 is an interior box according to definition. Thus, can there only be one unit then in the 0 box and if so does it get displaced by the retreating ibutho from the -1? Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are 2 Zero spaces....one for the Left Horn and Loins, and one for the Chest and Right Horn. Basically, even though there are 2 Zero spaces on the map, there is, in effect, only 1 Zero space for each iButho, and the other one is "not there" for that specific iButho.

What this means is that should, say, the Left Horn iButho move to the Zero space, the Loins iButho cannot also occupy the other Zero space at the same time. There is only 1 Zero space for each iButho, and it happens to be the same space for each of those two iButho's.

Also, when Retreating, the iButho's must use their specifically assigned Zero space. If it's occupied by the other iButho that is also assigned to that specific Zero space, that iButho must also retreat to its 1 space first, and then the -1 iButho can Retreat to its Zero space, and then further to its own 1 space if necessary.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Trifan

Charlotte
North Carolina
msg tools
But say the left horn/right horn had a 2 movement order. There is a unit in -1 space and both of the horns are in their 1 space respective. The -1 unit is a loins. So for the 2 movement order, do both horns enter, one at the top 0 and one at the bottom 0 and stop as they can’t advance in to -1? If so, when I’m retreating the loins in the -1 box, is it random to decide which ibutho retreats or I take it I would have to retreat the left horn as both left and loins enter same route?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Holt
United States
Eau Claire
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, when retreating, the iButho must follow its original path and use the same Zero space it used to enter originally.

The way to think of it is that the Left Horn/Loins are assigned the top Zero space. That's the only Zero space that exists for those 2 iButhos. The other Zero space printed on the board does not exist for those 2 iButhos...it's not there.

Same holds true for the Chest/Right Horn, except that the only Zero space that exists for them is the lower Zero space on the board.

Edit: Here is a picture that may make things clear:
The Left Horn iButho can only move through or occupy the yellow colored spaces.
The Loins iButho can only move through or occupy the orange colored spaces.
The Chest iButho can only move through or occupy the green colored spaces.
The Right Horn iButho can only move through or occupy the blue colored spaces.

So, if the Loins was in -1, and the Left Horn was in its 0 space, and the Right Horn was in its 0 space, and then the Loins are forced to retreat, then the Left Horn would have to retreat first, to its 1 space, as the only 0 space the Loins can retreat to is the one currently occupied by the Left Horn, and then the Loins would retreat to its 0 space, and then further to its 1 space if necessary.

Tony
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.