Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Moritz
United States
Shawnee
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the playtime still 2 hours even for only 2 players? Is it even longer for 3 or 4 players?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Francisco
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the funny things about this game is that the planet takes about the same amount of actions to terraform, just with more players, each player contributes less. My 2p games usually take 2.5-3 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2 player games usually last about 1.5 to 2 hrs for us. My wife is always ready on her turn. She develops strategy super fast. I usually have to take a couple minutes to figure out my moves at the beginning of the round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
90-120 minutes for the two of us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah the great TM playtime debate. This game's playtime is incredibly variable. A lot depends on each players familiarity with the cards, general AP and how aggressively the end game is pursued.

If you are brand new at the game and love to try and play optimally your first time through and you drag out the terraforming in favor of earning more VPs, then yes you will have a long 2+ hour game.

If you make reasonably quick decisions and focus on terraforming, especially in the late game, your game could easily be under 90 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Lund

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DC680 wrote:
Ah the great TM playtime debate. This game's playtime is incredibly variable. A lot depends on each players familiarity with the cards, general AP and how aggressively the end game is pursued.

If you are brand new at the game and love to try and play optimally your first time through and you drag out the terraforming in favor of earning more VPs, then yes you will have a long 2+ hour game.

If you make reasonably quick decisions and focus on terraforming, especially in the late game, your game could easily be under 90 min.

Same, games between myself and another experienced TM player would take less than 90 min.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Korson
United States
Galloway
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played this recently 2p with my wife and it took 3 hours (but it was also our first play).

We played it with 4 players on the weekend and it only took 2 hours that time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
designer
mb
jeremymoritz wrote:
Is the playtime still 2 hours even for only 2 players? Is it even longer for 3 or 4 players?
2 hours is achievable, but less likely if you use the draft variant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mavis
England
A Fine City
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us two player games with drafting take 1.5-2 hours to play. Play time drops considerably with experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Greaves
United States
SALEM
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As always, depends on how fast each player is. My wife and I take 3 hours, while with my other friends we take 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
senorcoo wrote:
One of the funny things about this game is that the planet takes about the same amount of actions to terraform, just with more players, each player contributes less.
With more players you have multiple economies feeding money into the system. So for example, with two players you'll have roughly 40 money coming in the second round, whereas with five players you'll have roughly 100 money coming in the second round. Which means that Terraforming steps happen faster with more players... as in you'll terraform the planet quicker (in fewer generations) than you will with fewer players. Time-wise this is offset by the fact that more players means more people taking turns, thinking, dithering, etc.

However, the fact that in the two player game, there'll be more generations (generally) tends to encourage players to play a "long" game and invest in building engines and long-term strategies, like accumulating animals/microbes on blue cards. So players tend to put less emphasis on rushing the game and pushing terraforming, whereas in multiplayer games, players know it won't run as long so they're more likely to grab terraforming points instead of investing in long-term strategies, and as there's only so many terraforming points to go around there's a bit of a race for them too.

So while nothing is hard and fast and it all depends on how people play, I feel like two player games might go a bit longer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremymoritz wrote:
Is the playtime still 2 hours even for only 2 players?

Yes. 2 hours for a 2 player game is totally reasonable.

Quote:
Is it even longer for 3 or 4 players?

It shouldn't be, no. With 3 or 4 players, the game is going to be shorter, in terms of generations. A 2 player game is likely to go 12-14 generations. A 3-4 player game is likely to go about 10 generations. A 5 player game is likely to go about 8-9 generations.

If people are slow in general and/or not paying attention to actually winning the game, then it might take longer. But 2 hours is completely reasonable for most games of TM, assuming everyone already knows how to play and aren't wildly slow or overly analytical. I played a 5 player game the other night that was unusually long at 3 hours, but that was including teaching a new guy how to play, and he took longer than everyone else as all the cards were brand new to him. Which was reasonable. But most 2-5 player games I play (which is a lot of them) are about 2 hours long. Sometimes 1.5 hours when we are on top of things.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
Playtime varies strongly with variables such as player experience, innate player speed, and player styles/metagame tendencies, but not very much with number of players.

I find that 1.75-2 hours is normal for experienced players who are not naturally slow and who work on the game end conditions. Most groups seem to lack one of these criteria though, so I think that getting under 2 hours will be a minority result. More common will be 2.5 up to 5+ with very slow beginners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Mcgamin

Arizona
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talmanes wrote:
More common will be 2.5 up to 5+ with very slow beginners.

I think the game would cease to be fun long before the 5 hour mark. I sincerely hope this doesn't actually happen to many people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
DC680 wrote:

I think the game would cease to be fun long before the 5 hour mark. I sincerely hope this doesn't actually happen to many people.

Yeah, I can't really imagine that happening. The longest game of TM I ever played was about 3.5 hours, including teaching the game to 4 new players, and then playing a 5 player game with 4 completely brand new players who had no idea how the game worked. And even then, the actual play of the game was probably less than 3 hours.

TM. Games generally take about 2 hours. Including drafting. And expansion rules. Even with 5 people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Cooper
msg tools
mbmbmb
bakija wrote:
DC680 wrote:

Yeah, I can't really imagine that happening. The longest game of TM I ever played was about 3.5 hours, including teaching the game to 4 new players, and then playing a 5 player game with 4 completely brand new players who had no idea how the game worked. And even then, the actual play of the game was probably less than 3 hours.

TM. Games generally take about 2 hours. Including drafting. And expansion rules. Even with 5 people.

You don't have to imagine. You can find their threads about it in these forums.

I have had games with slow beginners go 4+ hours a couple of times. And that is with pushing them along. And they seemed to enjoy it the whole time! I have not personally experienced 5 hours but it won't surprise me if it happens. It sounds like your beginners were not naturally slow players - lucky you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
mbmbmbmbmb
Thunkd wrote:
senorcoo wrote:
One of the funny things about this game is that the planet takes about the same amount of actions to terraform, just with more players, each player contributes less.
With more players you have multiple economies feeding money into the system. So for example, with two players you'll have roughly 40 money coming in the second round, whereas with five players you'll have roughly 100 money coming in the second round. Which means that Terraforming steps happen faster with more players... as in you'll terraform the planet quicker (in fewer generations) than you will with fewer players. Time-wise this is offset by the fact that more players means more people taking turns, thinking, dithering, etc.

However, the fact that in the two player game, there'll be more generations (generally) tends to encourage players to play a "long" game and invest in building engines and long-term strategies, like accumulating animals/microbes on blue cards. So players tend to put less emphasis on rushing the game and pushing terraforming, whereas in multiplayer games, players know it won't run as long so they're more likely to grab terraforming points instead of investing in long-term strategies, and as there's only so many terraforming points to go around there's a bit of a race for them too.

So while nothing is hard and fast and it all depends on how people play, I feel like two player games might go a bit longer.
Absolutely our experience but drafting can be a mitigating factor. I see no point in a two player draft - we often use a modified multi-player draft (version of left/keep/right, so we are actually only drafting every other turn) and it adds to the overall time of the session. In the end though, we notice two player games going consistently longer than with more players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
daniel balik
Czech Republic
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have played 7 two player games with average game time 87.17 minutes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias N
Germany
Landsberg / Lech
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I've played TM almost 30 games so far. My avarage playing time without setup and put the whole stuff back in the box after playing is about 75 minutes for solo, 150 min for a 3p and 225 min for a 4p. Never played as a 2p before. I have to admit, that we have one chess playing person in my 4p games, who takes a certain time to plan and overthink his moves ahead. And not to neglect, we play the draft variant, which takes a longer time than the basic game in principle.

There are so many factors which have influence on the total playing time, so the data giving above is rough appraisal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Hartlein
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Zoiks. Took me and my friend about 4.5 hours. blush

And that's why I've come here to BGG, to see if I missed something in the rules about a special set up for two-player games. But I guess not. Guess we're just slow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.