Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm planning to move from Bartlett to Naperville in a few months, and I was wondering if anyone in the area has any recommendations for nearby game groups or local stores.

I've checked through some of the posts in this forum, but I know things can change quickly so I just wanted to make sure I'm getting the most up-to-date info.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Samocha
United States
Burnsville
MN
flag msg tools
Rasecars, Lasers, Aeroplanes
badge
Here in Duckburg
mbmbmbmbmb
When I lived in That area I loved the Downers Grove game group, check Hot Sauce games in downers grove i think they meet wednesdays, but I moved out of the area in 2016, ask this friendly fella
Jack Otto
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary Creature- Human Artificer
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
glitch404 wrote:
When I lived in That area I loved the Downers Grove game group, check Hot Sauce games in downers grove i think they meet wednesdays, but I moved out of the area in 2016, ask this friendly fella
Jack Otto
United States
Arlington Heights
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Legendary Creature- Human Artificer
mbmbmbmbmb

Thanks! That's one I have not heard of yet. I'll have to make sure to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
Maybe I'll just stay home and play KDM.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a little bit of a drive from Naperville, but Games Plus in Mt Prospect has a great group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RageGoblin wrote:
It's a little bit of a drive from Naperville, but Games Plus in Mt Prospect has a great group.

I used to work right near Games Plus, so I'm familiar with it. I never made it there for any game nights, but I've visited the store in the past. I've heard great things about the group though!

It looks like it would be about a 45 minute drive (about the same time to get to my existing game group in Elgin from my new house). I'm a little spoiled with my 10-15 minute drive at the moment, as most of the stores hosting gaming nights look to be at least 25 minutes away.

Does the Gaming Goat in Naperville host any open game nights? That looks to be only about 10 minutes away from where I'm planning to be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a meet up at the Meijer at Boughton and Weber Road every Thursday night. Start there and you'll be able to find a bunch more meetups off of that. Most people in that game group play in multiple game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
There is a meet up at the Meijer at Boughton and Weber Road every Thursday night. Start there and you'll be able to find a bunch more meetups off of that. Most people in that game group play in multiple game nights.

Thanks! I'll have to check that out! So does this group actually play games in the Meijer? Is there a place to sit down inside?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also Fair Game in downers grove is a good place. Hot sauce is more focused on magic the gathering whereas fair game is more board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there is a large cafeteria section and since its 24 hours people stay late. Just buy a refillable soda cup for a buck and some change and your golden. The gamers there a super friendly and welcoming. There is a euro-bent to the games they play but they will play just about anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cable
United States
Bolingbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Roland used to host game nights at Naperville Gaming Goat on Monday nights, although I'm not sure if he still is. It was difficult for me to get out there, and I only made it out there once. You could visit and ask them about it, though, maybe it's still going on.

Fair Game in downtown Downers Grove hosts open gaming periodically (there used to be a regular Tuesday night get together, but I'm not sure if it's still happening). They're pretty good about posting things on their Facebook group.

If you go to the Thursday nights at Meijer you'll probably meet me at some point. I just moved really close and plan to go to those periodically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Mounsey
United States
Wheaton
Illinois
flag msg tools
MrMan2k3 wrote:
Myoman wrote:

Thanks! I'll have to check that out! So does this group actually play games in the Meijer? Is there a place to sit down inside?

I go to the Meijer group almost weekly. Very good group. Play everything from light into games to heavy euros like Lisboa. The nice thing too is you can come and go whenever.

Other suggestions... Whirlyball in Lombard meets on Saturdays in a sectioned off room. Anywhere from 3 to 8 games going on at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for jotto otts...he is a great guy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Myoman wrote:
Also Fair Game in downers grove is a good place. Hot sauce is more focused on magic the gathering whereas fair game is more board game.

Ah, yes, some friends of mine used to live down the street from Fair Game. I visited one time (before their new ownership), but we just stopped in for a few minutes. Seemed like a nice place!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bet you could meet a bunch of local, friendly gamers/groups at the Gaming Hoopla this coming weekend in Mundelein. Shameless plug, yes, but there's really a lot of great people there from this area. www.gaminghoopla.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Fair Game as a good place to go. I go there some Tuesday nights for Netrunner, but other people play there regularly as well.

I'd also recommend (though it's a bit further drive) the [toggle] gaming group in Palatine. They meet at Durty Nellie's pub from 6pm until 12am on Tuesdays, and there are usually about 50-75 people there. Great bunch.

http://www.togglegaming.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nomisofsiman wrote:
I go to the Meijer group almost weekly. Very good group. Play everything from light into games to heavy euros like Lisboa. The nice thing too is you can come and go whenever.

Other suggestions... Whirlyball in Lombard meets on Saturdays in a sectioned off room. Anywhere from 3 to 8 games going on at once.

The Meijer group seems similar to what I'm used to. It looks like it would only be about a 10 minute drive, so not too bad!

Whirlyball is right near my office in Lombard, and I've definitely been meaning to check it out sometime. The only problem is that they meet up on weekends, and I'm in the area on weekdays!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also check out wandering dragon in plainfield. Lots of gaming events, huge selection
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean roberts
United States
Homewood
IL-Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whirlyball on Saturday nights 6-1. usually 20+ people.
Downers Grove meets at bar on Wednesday I believe.
I believe a a piece of that group meets at downers sand club on Thursdays as well.... would have to look at it.
Naperville Meijer on Thursdays I believe. Nice group, smaller tables that you combine. I haven't been in a while.
Fair Game store.
Every 3rd saturday is a party gamers group in Lisle starbucks. Meant for taboo and CAH and stuff, but a couple of them started bringing some heavier games and play.

Most of that is on Meetup.com and facebook. if you need any links, pm me and I'll get you what I know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Mallas
United States
Bartlett
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
historyguy71 wrote:
I bet you could meet a bunch of local, friendly gamers/groups at the Gaming Hoopla this coming weekend in Mundelein. Shameless plug, yes, but there's really a lot of great people there from this area. www.gaminghoopla.com

I received a "business card" about Gaming Hoopla at the last KitCon, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go this year. I'll be too busy getting my current home cleaned up and ready to put on the market soon.

Gaming Hoopla used to be in Gurnee, right? Will it be staying in Mundelein in the future? Hopefully next year will work out better for my schedule!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Wood
United States
Darien
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty sure the sand club is on wednesdays.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
unfortunately. cannot recommend the Hot Sauce game night.

But most of the rest is great, including Jack Otto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Specht
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMan2k3 wrote:
Myoman wrote:

Ah, yes, some friends of mine used to live down the street from Fair Game. I visited one time (before their new ownership), but we just stopped in for a few minutes. Seemed like a nice place!

New owners / manager have breathed so much life into the store !!

It was great before, better now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Cunningham
United States
Lake Geneva
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMan2k3 wrote:
historyguy71 wrote:

I received a "business card" about Gaming Hoopla at the last KitCon, but unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to go this year. I'll be too busy getting my current home cleaned up and ready to put on the market soon.

Gaming Hoopla used to be in Gurnee, right? Will it be staying in Mundelein in the future? Hopefully next year will work out better for my schedule!

Yes, it used to be in Gurnee. Our current plan is to stay in Mundelein for at least the next two years, pending growth and cost. We're hoping to make the 2019 announcement at Hoopla this weekend, but there are some variables in being able to do that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sean roberts
United States
Homewood
IL-Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.meetup.com/BoardGamesAtWhirlyball/
https://www.meetup.com/boardgames-394/
https://www.meetup.com/The-Fellowship-of-West-Suburban-Board...

https://www.facebook.com/BoardGamesAtWhirlyball/
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1537151253187966/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mackenzie Upchurch
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmb
All Naperville Gaming Goat groups have fallen flat unfortunately. I used to run Wednesday night and Roland Monday night, but management changed. I play at Paper or Plastic now on Thursday and Sundays. Fair Game has game nights in Downers Grove. The Wandering Dragon has a big selection of games in Plainfield.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.