Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have moved this post to the D&D Adventure System page. Was suggested to me by a couple of users, and it made sense. Link below.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/28907843#28907843
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I would guess anyone interested in something as 'adventurous' as this excellent effort has all the games. I do!

As far as the last paragraph "I also want to hear what you lot want from a Campaign Guide" I we'd have to see the first draft imho
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
I would guess anyone interested in something as 'adventurous' as this excellent effort has all the games. I do!

As far as the last paragraph "I also want to hear what you lot want from a Campaign Guide" I we'd have to see the first draft imho

Yeah that was my thinking. As for getting your hands on it, all in good time sir. I'm going to thoroughly playtest what I've got first, then publish a "beta" version of the guide here. After that, it's just a case of adding polish and graphics.

Which reminds me, I need to get on DM Guild and download all of their free art assets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I don't know if you need type font info I posted in a thread that needed it for the cards but the fonts are also used in the books

From GeckoTH's Layered Photoshop Templates:

ITEM = Mentor Sans Std Bold 8pt (font name is MentorSansStd-Bold.otf (.otf means OpenType - PS and PS means PostScript)

TITLE = Mentor Sans Std Bold 12pt

Flavor Text = Mentor Std Italic 7pt (font name is MentorSansStd-Italic.otf (I always thought that was a bit small to read especially when WotC made it with type on a colored field but it still works)

Use during your Hero Phase = Mentor Sans Std Bold 9pt

Attack 1 Monster within 2 tiles of you. = Mentor Std Regular 8pt (font name is MentorStd.otf)

ATTACK and DAMAGE = Mentor Sans Std Bold 7pt

+7 and 1 = Mentor Sans Std Bold 13.5pt

FLIP THIS CARD OVER AFTER YOU USE THE ITEM = Mentor Sans Std Bold 6.5pt

Price: 2,000 gold = Mentor Std Regular 5.5pt

TM & © 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC = Mentor Std Regular 7pt

150/200 = Mentor Sans Std Bold 7pt

TREASURE on the Back of the Card (He didn't use editable type but I know the Font from the 4e PHB) = DnDLolth

I'd put a small copyright line somewhere

Game ©WotC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
I don't know if you need type font info I posted in a thread that needed it for the cards but the fonts are also used in the books

From GeckoTH's Layered Photoshop Templates:

ITEM = Mentor Sans Std Bold 8pt (font name is MentorSansStd-Bold.otf (.otf means OpenType - PS and PS means PostScript)

TITLE = Mentor Sans Std Bold 12pt

Flavor Text = Mentor Std Italic 7pt (font name is MentorSansStd-Italic.otf (I always thought that was a bit small to read especially when WotC made it with type on a colored field but it still works)

Use during your Hero Phase = Mentor Sans Std Bold 9pt

Attack 1 Monster within 2 tiles of you. = Mentor Std Regular 8pt (font name is MentorStd.otf)

ATTACK and DAMAGE = Mentor Sans Std Bold 7pt

+7 and 1 = Mentor Sans Std Bold 13.5pt

FLIP THIS CARD OVER AFTER YOU USE THE ITEM = Mentor Sans Std Bold 6.5pt

Price: 2,000 gold = Mentor Std Regular 5.5pt

TM & © 2010 Wizards of the Coast LLC = Mentor Std Regular 7pt

150/200 = Mentor Sans Std Bold 7pt

TREASURE on the Back of the Card (He didn't use editable type but I know the Font from the 4e PHB) = DnDLolth

I'd put a small copyright line somewhere

Game ©WotC

Thanks man, and yeah I have all those fonts. Funny thing, I won't be using them. I also have all the fonts for the "updated presentation" and will be using those instead. I haven't played with presentation and graphics etc yet, and the playtest version uses all of the old fonts... but when I do I'm hoping to make it look "close to ToEE and ToA, but still clearly not official".

There's a lot in these books, and I want to make sure players know they're not official rules. Some of the stuff I've seen on here could very easily be confused with the real thing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilhem Bedos
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petewys3 wrote:
Tables for random adventure creation.

If by this you mean some sort of scenario generator, I'm all for it thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Guilhem wrote:
petewys3 wrote:
Tables for random adventure creation.

If by this you mean some sort of scenario generator, I'm all for it thumbsup

Absolutely... I currently have:

Deck Building guidelines

A brand new Travel Phase between the Town Actions and Adventure

A Wilderness Encounter table

A victory / defeat tracker that modifies the Wilderness Encounter table

Rules for using Trap Tokens (from ToA) in any dungeon

Boss progression rules

14 Generic Adventure templates + "Chamber"

10 Generic Chamber templates

Tables for all of the locations and individual tiles

Tables for all of the villains

A table for the Bosses*

and 13 Aftermath Phases that link to the Deck Building guidelines

*Which reminds me! I need to work on some rules for leveling up the villains... 5 Bosses isn't enough, and 3 of them are undead!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are Advancement Tokens used?

The Custom Town Action Cards by Teagan McArthur (Teagan75)Jungo Jungo (TribalBrute) in the ToA BGG Forums is an idea. Whether or not those contributors will work with you to add to your game mods could be addressed. They have some good ideas.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1956542/toa-town-event-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
Are Advancement Tokens used?

The Custom Town Action Cards by Teagan McArthur (Teagan75)Jungo Jungo (TribalBrute) in the ToA BGG Forums is an idea. Whether or not those contributors will work with you to add to your game mods could be addressed. They have some good ideas.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1956542/toa-town-event-...

The advancement tokens from ToEE are used. Unfortunately, the ones from ToA are specific to locations in Chult.

Yeah I've seen those, and thought about it, but right now I want to produce an "out of the box" experience. Once this is done I might look at an advanced version that uses some of the excellent stuff on here, but then again, I don't really need to. Pretty much anything can be added to my Campaign Guide, and even the stuff I've done is semi-modular. You could use the adventure creation stuff without the deck building guidelines, and you could use the Aftermath Phases without the Travel Phase stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really dig the idea and effort Pete.

After checking all you links in my subscriber feed, I popped this one because I was interested and curious.

To be honest, I think the combinative thread for this should be here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/forum/952530/dungeons-and-drag...

It took me a while to find the forums that covered the whole of the D&D Adventure gaming system, but it makes sense.

Tristan and GeckoTH did an amazing job putting together a campaign with some rules and advancement (including town periods between adventures) that are very fun and I have used them with success with my friends. I even went to the point of printing out the cards developed using one of the printing places, but I have seen they are rejecting printing them based on copyright issues (though I had one set I missed and printed them on a nice color printer and just sleeved them)

I have to admit I am tardy and did not see some of new efforts being made for ToEE and the new game. I think it's fantastic and hope to take advantage.

It seems you have done your research, so hey, get creative and help bring more to this franchise that us boardgamers can use to have fun when it's so hard to find the time to put together an old school RPG campaign!

Dig around with what they have done and take some of those ideas. My favorite advances for CR were helping the rooms with names have a meaning.

I am looking forward to what you create!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cavetoad wrote:

It took me a while to find the forums that covered the whole of the D&D Adventure gaming system, but it makes sense.

Tristan and GeckoTH did an amazing job putting together a campaign with some rules and advancement (including town periods between adventures) that are very fun and I have used them with success with my friends.

Same here. I did a quick search for the Game System page to recommend it and couldn't find it quickly glad you did

Good to hear you've used Tristan and GeckoTH's material. I download custom material but don't always get to play it. But this one I'm excited about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavetoad wrote:

After checking all you links in my subscriber feed, I popped this one because I was interested and curious.

Tristan and GeckoTH did an amazing job putting together a campaign with some rules and advancement (including town periods between adventures) that are very fun and I have used them with success with my friends. I even went to the point of printing out the cards developed using one of the printing places, but I have seen they are rejecting printing them based on copyright issues (though I had one set I missed and printed them on a nice color printer and just sleeved them)

I have to admit I am tardy and did not see some of new efforts being made for ToEE and the new game. I think it's fantastic and hope to take advantage.

It seems you have done your research, so hey, get creative and help bring more to this franchise that us boardgamers can use to have fun when it's so hard to find the time to put together an old school RPG campaign!

Dig around with what they have done and take some of those ideas. My favorite advances for CR were helping the rooms with names have a meaning.

I have no idea how to move this thread to another page, but if an admin is watching... do ittttt. Didn't even think of this option, to be honest. If it happens I'll need to leave a "hey go check this out link", unless this thread remains here too? I don't know how this works.

Glad you're excited though. What you mentioned is exactly why I'm doing it this way... I wanted people to be able to play it without getting components printed off. Well, except the books of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary A
United States
Lakeville/Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you have to move the whole thread, just do like you did and make the same post to that area.

I am, like I presume many other fans, are subscribed over there too.

Make your initial post, discuss what you want to do, and let everyone have fun over there!
I know many feel the board game play style for D&D is too basic and an underwhelming example of dungeon crawls, but to me it is a very nice open platform for getting that 'DnD experience' without too much RPG.

Myself, I want the RPG, but I have found I can meld gaming friends into the game as more bits are added to create an evening of RPG that leaves them wanting more... But, it needs flavor and thankfully through the games they give you plenty of bits that are rarely used, or never used, to let a GM set up scenarios for a creating a challenging experience.

petewys3 wrote:
Cavetoad wrote:

I have no idea how to move this thread to another page, but if an admin is watching... do ittttt. Didn't even think of this option, to be honest. If it happens I'll need to leave a "hey go check this out link", unless this thread remains here too? I don't know how this works.

Glad you're excited though. What you mentioned is exactly why I'm doing it this way... I wanted people to be able to play it without getting components printed off. Well, except the books of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I sub to all 5 games here so I got all of your identical posts that linked to this page.

So it depends on who finds it in which game forum.

I think even though ToEE and ToA are the main games that it seems you're basing your ideas on it would be better served in the 'all games' page.

I don't see a problem with posting multiple times like you did today in the different games forums to redirect with a simple link once or twice.

Someone described these games not so much dungeon crawls as much as dungeon races to get to the 9-12 tile objective. Which is true.

The reason for the system in the first place imho was a challenging filler game when you didn't have time for your gaming group RPG night. So you got the distilled flavor. Luckily it didn't feel watered down like it could have. I attribute that to being based on the combat centric heroic powers out of the box with tons of treasure and fun encounters 4e system. And also low HP. CR and WoA were challenging yet fun even when you lost because you lost towards the end not the beginning. The Heroes have enough personality in their 4e powers and the flavor text on the cards no one reads lol to give it enough of the role playing in RPG 'requirement'

The whole concept to me rings a bell from their DM Guides and Miniatures Combat Game Handbook that suggest random dungeon not by rolling on tables so much as making a deck of index cards to draw from. That sounds familiar lol

Whether WotC designed the system to be expandable with sand box house rules I'm not sure. But it works. to the point they included tokens like the (could be Treasure) Chests in LoD that aren't used at all in the Adventures.

I designed a game using CR with a bit of WoA and LoD as a three phase RPG dungeon video with intentionally situational thematic cards using Heskan rescuing Thoragrim then switching Wizard powers to defeat Strahd also using some painted minis from Dungeon Command Curse of Undeath and D&D Minis game. Really well done if I don't say so myself. I shot it as a video. Didn't finish the Strahd showdown. Don't have time to edit it. But point is yes even an RPG designed video that can be done with the components of these games ;
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Meltzer
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
badge
Eight ball, corner pocket
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very intrigued by this, but I am one of those that does not have ToEE (I have CR and LoD only). Is there anything in this new campaign guide that I can use? If not, I still appreciate the effort.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cavetoad wrote:
I don't think you have to move the whole thread, just do like you did and make the same post to that area.

I am, like I presume many other fans, are subscribed over there too.

Make your initial post, discuss what you want to do, and let everyone have fun over there!
I know many feel the board game play style for D&D is too basic and an underwhelming example of dungeon crawls, but to me it is a very nice open platform for getting that 'DnD experience' without too much RPG.

Myself, I want the RPG, but I have found I can meld gaming friends into the game as more bits are added to create an evening of RPG that leaves them wanting more... But, it needs flavor and thankfully through the games they give you plenty of bits that are rarely used, or never used, to let a GM set up scenarios for a creating a challenging experience.

I'll get on it. Thanks. I DM the RPG on a weekly basis, and absolutely love it. In fact, it's why I started getting these games... to use the miniatures. But then I fell in love with the super simple mechanics

Collection 1138 wrote:
I sub to all 5 games here so I got all of your identical posts that linked to this page.

So it depends on who finds it in which game forum.

I think even though ToEE and ToA are the main games that it seems you're basing your ideas on it would be better served in the 'all games' page.

I don't see a problem with posting multiple times like you did today in the different games forums to redirect with a simple link once or twice.

Someone described these games not so much dungeon crawls as much as dungeon races to get to the 9-12 tile objective. Which is true.

The reason for the system in the first place imho was a challenging filler game when you didn't have time for your gaming group RPG night. So you got the distilled flavor. Luckily it didn't feel watered down like it could have. I attribute that to being based on the combat centric heroic powers out of the box with tons of treasure and fun encounters 4e system. And also low HP. CR and WoA were challenging yet fun even when you lost because you lost towards the end not the beginning. The Heroes have enough personality in their 4e powers and the flavor text on the cards no one reads lol to give it enough of the role playing in RPG 'requirement'

The whole concept to me rings a bell from their DM Guides and Miniatures Combat Game Handbook that suggest random dungeon not by rolling on tables so much as making a deck of index cards to draw from. That sounds familiar lol

Whether WotC designed the system to be expandable with sand box house rules I'm not sure. But it works. to the point they included tokens like the (could be Treasure) Chests in LoD that aren't used at all in the Adventures.

I designed a game using CR with a bit of WoA and LoD as a three phase RPG dungeon video with intentionally situational thematic cards using Heskan rescuing Thoragrim then switching Wizard powers to defeat Strahd also using some painted minis from Dungeon Command Curse of Undeath and D&D Minis game. Really well done if I don't say so myself. I shot it as a video. Didn't finish the Strahd showdown. Don't have time to edit it. But point is yes even an RPG designed video that can be done with the components of these games ;

Thanks man. I think they just wanted A board game, and then it kept rolling.

Oh and, those Treasure Chests are used in the game. There's an encounter card that asks you to place one on the tile haha! So yeah, I think you're right, they started thinking "give them extra stuff".

Mizerak wrote:
I am very intrigued by this, but I am one of those that does not have ToEE (I have CR and LoD only). Is there anything in this new campaign guide that I can use? If not, I still appreciate the effort.

The adventure creation and deck building can be used by any game, or any combination of games. Owning ToA just allows you to use the new Trap deck, owning ToEE allows you to use the Trap tokens and Campaign mechanics (advancement tokens).

I'm sure, if you really wanted to, you could just find out what advancement tokens are included in ToEE and recreate them yourself. Essentially, they're purchasable one-use (per adventure) powers that regain HP, allow you to reroll, etc. etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petewys3 wrote:

Oh and, those Treasure Chests are used in the game. There's an encounter card that asks you to place one on the tile haha! So yeah, I think you're right, they started thinking "give them extra stuff".

Gotcha I hadn't come across that one from memory. when I have all 5 games I don't play often you tend to forget lol LoD's booklet says yeah we gave you extra tokens (and um we had adventures that used them but we edited them so that's why they're there is what they might be saying lol It think the LoD rulebook says that going thru the components but it's debatable it could have put the extra components note in the Adventure book since that's where you expect to use tokens and where I was looking for chests not in the encounter cards lol. No matter I'm glad they gave us extra sand box tokens to get them in any of the games ; and i fact a Chest might not always be a Treasure Chest.

And sideote I had to ask WotC a long time ago if Damage treasure could be stacked with Attack powers and they said yes because it's really not stacked. I had to question that because they only treasures that do damage are bracers with different names and I think there's only 3 in the system. things like that come up that aren't seen all the time.

You had to go thru the games with a fine toothed comb I'd think tackling this huge project(?) did you make excel sheets to keep components straight? I did a sortable one for all the heroes stats out of stats curiosity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
petewys3 wrote:

Gotcha I hadn't come across that one from memory. when I have all 5 games I don't play often you tend to forget lol LoD's booklet says yeah we gave you extra tokens (and um we had adventures that used them but we edited them so that's why they're there is what they might be saying lol It think the LoD rulebook says that going thru the components but it's debatable it could have put the extra components note in the Adventure book since that's where you expect to use tokens and where I was looking for chests not in the encounter cards lol. No matter I'm glad they gave us extra sand box tokens to get them in any of the games ; and i fact a Chest might not always be a Treasure Chest.

And sideote I had to ask WotC a long time ago if Damage treasure could be stacked with Attack powers and they said yes because it's really not stacked. I had to question that because they only treasures that do damage are bracers with different names and I think there's only 3 in the system. things like that come up that aren't seen all the time.

You had to go thru the games with a fine toothed comb I'd think tackling this huge project(?) did you make excel sheets to keep components straight? I did a sortable one for all the heroes stats out of stats curiosity.

I didn't, no. I have a big spare room / office with a bed in it, and for two weeks had EVERYTHING laid out on the bed (except miniatures). I say had... even though I'm playtesting I still have notes and rulebooks laid out haha.

I do wish they'd have added a lot more "unused components for custom content" type stuff. Hell, an official version of what I'm doing would be awesome.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laying the physical components out is probably better way to do it. Looking at a computer screen can be beneficial for a sortable excel file but in certain cases doesn't compare to seeing everything laid out. you need to upload pics of that! lol

You can get D&D dungeon tile product line for 3.5e and 4e and updated repurposed 5e that have those types of tokens. but yeah then not everyone has access to them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Wyse
United Kingdom
Chippenham
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Collection 1138 wrote:
Laying the physical components out is probably better way to do it. Looking at a computer screen can be beneficial for a sortable excel file but in certain cases doesn't compare to seeing everything laid out. you need to upload pics of that! lol

You can get D&D dungeon tile product line for 3.5e and 4e and updated repurposed 5e that have those types of tokens. but yeah then not everyone has access to them.

Oh I have them all, and the Dungeon Command games, and a bunch of Dungeon Saga stuff... problem with creating rules for them is that you can't guarantee everyone (or even anyone) has the same stuff as you. Trust me, I'd have loved to use the Treasure Chest tokens from Dungeon Command in my rules... but that would reduce the amount of people who can use my rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.