Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Retirement Party for Puck my Cragheart. - minior spoilers for Cragheart ability cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Puck was my Cragheart. He might have been grumpy in the mornings but if you got to know him he was all heart.

The end of the the personal quest - The Fall of Man
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Last night I completed #62 (The end of The Fall of Man PQ) it was a close one. I thought I was not going to pull it off. I didn't get the chest. The scenario seems to be perfect for Cragheart. Lots of room to toss around some rocks.

Things went south fast.

The starting plan was to kill the two Spirits in two turns. Go late, let them move up, move up a bit and Rock Slide them for two points and start placing rocks to guide/bottleneck the incoming Skeletons.

Meanwhile my Brute planned on Hook and Chaining the starting elite skeleton through a trap. That worked but then that skeleton and another one did 23 of his starting 24 points.

So that changed the plan.

I eventually made my way across the basement and killed the Hungry Soul on my last turn. My Cragheart exhausted the turn before.

This is my first time retiring a character. My Brute has only one more to go. So soon I will have a brand new party. Then I will have to choose from Saw, Eclipse, Sun, or the 6 starters to create my new two-some. Any advice here would be great.

I need a PDF of the town record. I don't want to break the seal of the real one before my other campaign gets there. If anyone can help with this that would be great.

This was the final hand:
8 - Rocky End - Never got to use the top. The bottom was useful in the last scenario
7 - Brutal Momentum - Great card top and bottom
6 - Cataclysm - Another great card
4 - Rockslide - very fun
3 - Clear the way - I used the bottom 95% of the scenarios.
2 - Sentient Growth - I first took Explosive Punch because the visuals of that card are cool.
1 - Rumbling Advance - This is one of two cards I enhanced. I added a +1 to the Heal. I am glad I did.
1 - Massive Boulder - This works well with Backup Ammo.
1 - Backup Ammunition - 70% of the time I took this card I never had time to play the top.
1 - Forceful Storm - Great in certain situations.
X - Heaving Swing - I added wound to this. I got lots of great use out of this card.

I skipped the 5s to take Sentient Growth. Sentient Growth is a tool box of useful.

I plan to sell everything, donate and buy an enchantment with the rest. Maybe Curse on Dirt Tornado. Although I didn't use DT very much. I will have to think about it. Any advice is welcome.

My final perks were:
Remove 4 +0s
3X replace -1 with +1
Add one -2 and two +2s
2X add one +2 muddle
Add two rolling push (I just added this)
Add two rolling Earth
Add two rolling Wind
Ignore negative scenario effects.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
http://www.destructoid.com/author.phtml?a=1364
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
I plan to sell everything, donate and buy an enchantment with the rest. Maybe Curse on Dirt Tornado. Although I didn't use DT very much. I will have to think about it. Any advice is welcome.

Curse on Dirt Tornado is the idea that's always thrown out, and I agree it can be very powerful. But I am also with you; on its own, Dirt Tornado made its way out of my hand after a few levels. Personally, I prefer to enhance cards that are already useful, so even if the bonus isn't amazing, it's still a good card.

Curse on Dirt Tornado seems like it would really change the way the Cragheart feels. Like, if you're going through a rest cycle and not mass-cursing with it, then you're doing it wrong. I don't know why I don't like the sound of that, but I guess it just feels very un-Cragheart-like, after having spent so much time with the guy. (Side note, my Cragheart has the same PQ as you, and I'm not close to done with it.)

As for actual advice on enhancements, looking at your final hand, I'd say:

Forceful Storm: Add a hex to the top. This not only brings up its damage potential, but also its XP generation.
Heaving Swing: Add a +1 to the PUSH. Makes it easier to use and even gives it the potential to deal 4 unblockable damage. For a low price, too.
Rumbling Advance: Add a +1 to the Move as well. It shouldn't cost extra, since it's on the other action.

The above enhancements will only cost you 126 gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:
Xaqery wrote:

Curse on Dirt Tornado is the idea that's always thrown out, and I agree it can be very powerful. But I am also with you; on its own, Dirt Tornado made its way out of my hand after a few levels. Personally, I prefer to enhance cards that are already useful, so even if the bonus isn't amazing, it's still a good card.

Curse on Dirt Tornado seems like it would really change the way the Cragheart feels. Like, if you're going through a rest cycle and not mass-cursing with it, then you're doing it wrong. I don't know why I don't like the sound of that, but I guess it just feels very un-Cragheart-like, after having spent so much time with the guy. (Side note, my Cragheart has the same PQ as you, and I'm not close to done with it.)

Forceful Storm: Add a hex to the top. This not only brings up its damage potential, but also its XP generation.
Heaving Swing: Add a +1 to the PUSH. Makes it easier to use and even gives it the potential to deal 4 unblockable damage. For a low price, too.
Rumbling Advance: Add a +1 to the Move as well. It shouldn't cost extra, since it's on the other action.

Thanks! I like your advice.

Path to the end
After about 15 won scenarios, meandering my way along, I started wondering where the other swamp scenarios were. So I looked it up. That is when I learned that completing #27 closed off one of them.

So then I learned the path to the only remaining one I had left and made that a priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dexter345 wrote:

I think you forgot the +75gp to add to an action that already has an enhancement.

66 - add a hex to Forceful Storm
105 - +1 to Heaving Swing
30 - +1 to move on Rumbling Advance

I had 161GP.
50 - jump to massive boulder
105 - +1 to push of Heaving Swing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
This user optimizes his gaming experience.
badge
This user might be a mutant in hiding.
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:

I think you forgot the +75gp to add to an action that already has an enhancement.

Minor nitpick: It's to a card that is already enhanced. Doesn't matter if you take top or bottom for additional stickers.

I've seen the light! And it is glorious!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wester van Urk
msg tools
The rulebook says "Additional costs are added based on the level of the ability card and the number of
previously placed enhancement stickers on the same action.", so Xaqery had it right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:

Before you retire, play a randomly generated scenario with DT, and pretend it has curse, just to give it a feel.

It is an absolute game changer. You can keep 10 curses in the enemy deck pretty easily if there are good enemy groupings, and muddle helps them pull those curses out more frequently. It is sickening the power of this card.

I managed to get this card one scenario before I retired my Crag (I took Angry Face). My group was skeptical of its power at first, but after being swarmed by a hoarde of elite living bones and corpses that were unable to do much damage to us, they changed their tune pretty fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:

Indeed. I missed that you already added Wound to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
kgk4569 wrote:
Before you retire, play a randomly generated scenario with DT, and pretend it has curse, just to give it a feel.

It is an absolute game changer. You can keep 10 curses in the enemy deck pretty easily if there are good enemy groupings, and muddle helps them pull those curses out more frequently. It is sickening the power of this card.

I managed to get this card one scenario before I retired my Crag (I took Angry Face). My group was skeptical of its power at first, but after being swarmed by a hoarde of elite living bones and corpses that were unable to do much damage to us, they changed their tune pretty fast.

This is a good idea.

The reason I stopped playing with DT is because, as a two character party, I didnt see grouped monsters very often. And I find muddle to be situational.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cogitor wrote:
The rulebook says "Additional costs are added based on the level of the ability card and the number of
previously placed enhancement stickers on the same action.", so Xaqery had it right.

Oh snap. That changes so much!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kip Kwiatkowski
United States
Bethel Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Stop it! That tickles! :P
mbmbmbmbmb
Vermlings, oozes, and summoners are the big ones it is good with.

It does require some tactic changes in order to get the groupings, such as letting oozes split a few times, or opening some doors early. I always looked at it as "for the greater good". If I could get 2 turns on a 4+ group of baddies, it was worth one turn of hits. Thankfully, you can further prep a battlefield with Rock Slide, funneling them so you aren't surrounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy's
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Dirt tornado is mediocre with 2 characters but it really shines with 4, especially if one or more allies can buff the effects, damage or range. I quickly took it out of my build playing with just my wife but it's amazing and back in when playing with 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
I think Immobilize on Massive Boulder would be fun, especially when combined with Backup Ammunition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
I think Immobilize on Massive Boulder would be fun, especially when combined with Backup Ammunition.

It would be fun. You throw a bolder at a dude and a another he is adjacent to. Then use Stamina potion to get it back and do it again next turn since you know they didn't move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
At first and second glance I am liking the Eclipse ability cards and I have an idea how they get things done.

Soon the 2nd half of my duo will also retire. One more scenario. He will unlock Saw. Without knowing anything about Saw I think I will pair my new Eclipse character (name still needed) with a Sun character. I think that might work. Any thoughts?

PS - I am excited because the PQ card I drew requires my eclipse character to kill 20 different monsters which seems perfect. AND it leads to two-minis which I am also excited about. Is there a difference between phoenix face, angry face, and two-minis?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I haven't unlocked Moon/Eclipse yet, but from what I gather (and what I've seen of Sun), it can work well that that class. I know at least one of Sun's actions feeds off something Moon/Eclipse does. But for the most part they won't be getting in each other's ways.

2. "Phoenix Face" is a mostly defunct name for what most people now call "Two Minis." That one probably took the community the longest to name because the logo is so abstract. "Angry Face" is a different class, also sometimes called "Spiky Haired Angry Guy" or "SHAG."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:
At first and second glance I am liking the Eclipse ability cards and I have an idea how they get things done.

Soon the 2nd half of my duo will also retire. One more scenario. He will unlock Saw. Without knowing anything about Saw I think I will pair my new Eclipse character (name still needed) with a Sun character. I think that might work. Any thoughts?

Sun/Moon get some nice synergies, but the actions that set them up aren't that good without having the synergy. Once either of the duo retires, the other will be slightly gimped if you're not using some sort of respec houserule. You'll have to decide for yourself if it's worth it.

Quote:
..., also sometimes called "Spiky Haired Angry Guy" or "SHAG."

Ooooh, hadn't heard of this one, yet. Now I'm tempted to call him Shaggy instead of Spike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:

PS - I am excited because the PQ card I drew requires my eclipse character to kill 20 different monsters which seems perfect. AND it leads to two-minis which I am also excited about. Is there a difference between phoenix face, angry face, and two-minis?

oooooo With Sun and Moon and I can go back to scenario #81 and finally kicks its butt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Happy Retirement!

bag bacon thumbsup

Seriously, I came here thinking people would be posting congrats and party comments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
GerryRailBaron wrote:
Happy Retirement!

bag bacon thumbsup

Seriously, I came here thinking people would be posting congrats and party comments.

THANKS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Rockman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
The Cragheart in our party retired tonight.

He had already enhanced Rumbling Advance with +1 heal and Massive Boulder with +1 attack. His retirement pushed us up to prosperity 4, so he could only have 3 cards enhanced before he retired.

He had 89 gold, so we decided on a +1 push to Heaving Swing and adding Jump to the bottom of Massive Boulder. The Cragheart is notoriously bad at jumping - their only non-loss jump move comes at level 7.

Our Cragheart is retiring his 22 health Cragheart and playing a squishy 9 health character now. I'm guessing you're doing something similar going from a Cragheart to Eclipse, right? What's it like going from tanky to squishy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Nakamura
United States
Columbus
Mississippi
flag msg tools
badge
Darren@destructoid.com
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
What's it like going from tanky to squishy?

Though I haven't retired my Cragheart yet, I play multiple characters. Currently my main is squishy. You have to approach things differently. Where with my Cragheart (20 HP, Chainmail, Heater Shield) can stand wherever he wants to maximize his turns without having to worry much, my squishy character needs to stand behind other people or out of range of monsters, or intentionally go late in the round to act after everyone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
gabrielrockman1 wrote:
The Cragheart in our party retired tonight.
WOO! Congrats!

gabrielrockman1 wrote:
He had already enhanced Rumbling Advance with +1 heal and Massive Boulder with +1 attack. His retirement pushed us up to prosperity 4, so he could only have 3 cards enhanced before he retired.

He had 89 gold, so we decided on a +1 push to Heaving Swing and adding Jump to the bottom of Massive Boulder. The Cragheart is notoriously bad at jumping - their only non-loss jump move comes at level 7.

These are really good choices in my oppinion.

gabrielrockman1 wrote:
Our Cragheart is retiring his 22 health Cragheart and playing a squishy 9 health character now. I'm guessing you're doing something similar going from a Cragheart to Eclipse, right? What's it like going from tanky to squishy?

I had a Brute and a Crageheart. I was playing the Brute more tanky and the Cragheart was ranged and support.

For one scenario I had a Brute and a moon class. This worked okay but I forgot to bring any healing since my Cragheart was the healer.

Then my Brute retired and unlocked Saw class. Saw class is interesting but I decided to replace the Brute with a Sun class.

The Sun Moon duo is great. Last night I played for the 2nd time with this new duo. Its working pretty well. My Sun character got item #103. Which fits her like a glove.

Moon and Sun capabilities:
4th level Sun has lots of options. She can hit hard. Tank and be a good support. She is fun. I like the moon class too but he is more of a one trick pony. Kill.

The scenario details:
I finished that scenario in 4 rounds after about 90 minutes of meticulous planning. It was hilarious. I had everything planned, turned over the first set of monster ability cards and bam the Spitting Drakes are going to stun anyone they attack! Plans had to change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Des T.
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaqery wrote:

I like the moon class too but he is more of a one trick pony. Kill.

But damn he's good at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwight Sullivan
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
Shall we play a game?
badge
Shall we play a game?
mbmbmbmbmb
DeS_Tructive wrote:
Xaqery wrote:

I like the moon class too but he is more of a one trick pony. Kill.

But damn he's good at it.

Agree. In Scenario #34 last night he did lots of damage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.