ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Do I have this correct?

Seems straight forward that when you deploy main generators you also have to deploy the 4th marker if it isn't already out.

But then this means the IMPs can only deploy to the 4th marker.
BUT if a marker further than 4th is already out, then basically, the IMPs can only deploy to the farthest marker (tho no necc the Wampa Cave)

Now if the IMPs deployed to interior Hoth sites before the Main Generators deployed, then it's considered that those IMPs landed on Hoth before the shield went up?

thx in adv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. Any Imperial characters/vehicles/etc. that were deployed before the Shield Generator site was played remain where they are. However, once the Shield Generator is on the table, the Imperial player cannot deploy any future cards to any Hoth sites closer than the furthest marker (even at sites where he has presence and even when deploying spies, if I recall correctly).

So, yes, any such deployments effectively happened before the rebels "raised the shields". If the Rebel player is going for a Hoth deck, it almost always makes the most sense to start with the Shield Generators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
thank you!

Webhead123 wrote:
once the Shield Generator is on the table, the Imperial player cannot deploy any future cards to any Hoth sites closer than the furthest marker

And so the closest (ie: at game start) would be the 4th marker. But once the 5th or 7th comes out, the shield has essentially spread further. correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ketchupgun wrote:
thank you!

Webhead123 wrote:
once the Shield Generator is on the table, the Imperial player cannot deploy any future cards to any Hoth sites closer than the furthest marker

And so the closest (ie: at game start) would be the 4th marker. But once the 5th or 7th comes out, the shield has essentially spread further. correct?

Those were the original rules, but the current rule is that the Energy Shield only covers Echo Base sites and the first 3 marker sites:

Hoth Energy Shield Rules
The Hoth: Main Power Generators site produces an energy shield which is "strong enough to withstand any bombardment." This shield protects much of Hoth for the Light Side by preventing many forms of Dark Side deployment and movement; however, the Dark Side may deploy or land beyond the shield and "march in" to Echo Base. When the Main Power Generators site is face up on table, the energy shield covers all Echo Base sites and the first three marker sites. The shield will never extend beyond the 3rd marker.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bate
United Kingdom
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
ketchupgun wrote:
thank you!

Webhead123 wrote:

Those were the original rules, but the current rule is that the Energy Shield only covers Echo Base sites and the first 3 marker sites:

Hoth Energy Shield Rules
The Hoth: Main Power Generators site produces an energy shield which is "strong enough to withstand any bombardment." This shield protects much of Hoth for the Light Side by preventing many forms of Dark Side deployment and movement; however, the Dark Side may deploy or land beyond the shield and "march in" to Echo Base. When the Main Power Generators site is face up on table, the energy shield covers all Echo Base sites and the first three marker sites. The shield will never extend beyond the 3rd marker.

Are these player committee rulings as opposed to the classic Decipher rulings?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
puck71 wrote:
ketchupgun wrote:
thank you!

Webhead123 wrote:

Hoth Energy Shield Rules

Yes, I'm also curious where that ruling is from. I've never played that way.

But in either case, the shield would never extend to the 7th marker (isn't that the wampa cave, or something?). Originally it would be the farthest out of 4th, 5th, or 6th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wrrlykam wrote:
puck71 wrote:
ketchupgun wrote:
thank you!

Webhead123 wrote:

Hoth Energy Shield Rules

Are these player committee rulings as opposed to the classic Decipher rulings?
Yes, it was made in 2016. The reasoning was posted as this: "It was intended to simplify the rules to be more intuitive. The shield will now always cover all Echo Base locations, as well as the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd marker sites....but will never extend further out. This means that the Dark Side player will no longer be able to make the shield extend to the 4th or 5th markers by deploying his own Hoth locations."

The last part I think was a part of the reason. Since the sites under the shield are not battlegrounds, it was considered problematic for the Dark Side player to force the Light Side player's sites to turn from battlegrounds into non-battlegrounds, when it's supposed to be the Light Side player's shield, so they should be in "control" of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liz Burton
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ketchupgun
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
This is WAAAY easier!!! And thx for explaining why I thought I was reading two different unclear rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S.
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
All this discussion makes me wish I still had my collection...and someone to play against...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webhead123 wrote:
All this discussion makes me wish I still had my collection...and someone to play against...
There is online play now, and it (GEMP) is pretty awesome. https://www.starwarsccg.org/community/online-play/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.