Subject: Fantasy less numerous than Sci-fi? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone have thoughts and suggestions for competitive and interactive traditional fantasy themed board games? Lately a lot of buzz surrounds sci-fi themed games or cooperative fantasy games and that's reflected in my collection. A lot of what BGG lists as fantasy can also be more categorized as mythology, Viking, horror, or other subgenre which I consider to be different. Thanks

And yes I already own Mage Knight

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Challie Coppel
United States
Huntsville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon Alliance
Vast: The Crystal Caverns
Swords & Sorcery
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, when you break fantasy down into all its subgenres there tends to be nothing left

War of the ring, runewars, lots of skirmish/army games, Clank, Super Dungeon Explore, Argent the consortium, barony, broom service, ethnos, a game of gnomes, lord of the ice garden, magic, middle earth quest, terra mystica, wizard kings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
I find this bizarre as I see fantasy competitive games as by far the most common theme out there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scifiantihero wrote:
Well, when you break fantasy down into all its subgenres there tends to be nothing left

War of the ring, runewars, lots of skirmish/army games, Clank, Super Dungeon Explore, Argent the consortium, barony, broom service, ethnos, a game of gnomes, lord of the ice garden, magic, middle earth quest, terra mystica, wizard kings.

I guess I'm looking for basic fantasy or high fantasy (e.g. dragons, and other fantastical creatures), but I see your point. I do have a lot of the ones you mention and hopefully I've done my research on what got buzz in the last several years.

Geosphere wrote:
I find this bizarre as I see fantasy competitive games as by far the most common theme out there.

I see a bunch of cooperative games but not competitive games that are highly rated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:

Geosphere wrote:

I see a bunch of cooperative games but not competitive games that are highly rated.

8: Terra Mystica
12: War Of The Ring 2e
14: Caverna
21: Blood Rage
32: Kingdom Death
50: Lords Of Waterdeep
51: Five Tribes
57: Dominion: Intrigue
59: Clank!
72: Dominion
76: Descent
77: Kemet
81: Alchemists
82: War Of The Ring 1e
84: Game Of Thrones
85: Resistance Avalon
86: Arcadia Quest
94: Charterstone
95: Chaos in the Old World

Not counting horror fantasy and edge cases like Santorini, there's now 19 non-coop fantasy games in the top 100.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually I have access to 14 of them but it just seems to me that there is a lot more successful generic Sci-fi than generic fantasy, like Terraforming Mars, eclipse, TI, Gaia Project, Forbidden Stars, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:
Actually I have access to 14 of them but it just seems to me that there is a lot more successful generic Sci-fi than generic fantasy, like Terraforming Mars, eclipse, TI, Gaia Project, Forbidden Stars, etc

Do you like fantasy more? Cause when you start breaking things down into hard sci fi, space opera, military sci fi, near future sci fi, steampunk, etc, the "generic" sci fi games disappear too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Destrio wrote:
Forbidden Stars,

Not even remotely generic.

I think you need to really define your parameters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
Destrio wrote:
Forbidden Stars,

Not even remotely generic.

I think you need to really define your parameters.

Whoops yep that was a mistake on the list. Still quite a good game though which was why I added it.

scifiantihero wrote:
Destrio wrote:

Do you like fantasy more? Cause when you start breaking things down into hard sci fi, space opera, military sci fi, near future sci fi, steampunk, etc, the "generic" sci fi games disappear too

Hmm true. I see there could be a difference in hard and soft sci-fi. I haven't seen too many hard sci-fi games but I am not having trouble filling the collection with compelling sci-fi games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
57: Dominion: Intrigue
72: Dominion

I see the point, but that feels far from a fantasy themed game when playing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.