2 Posts

Alexander the Great» Forums » General

Subject: Fun, Fast, 3 player game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Don Hancock
United States
flag msg tools
We played this in a little more than a hour with three players, two who had never played. The owner noted that the rules were poorly written. We played it as he presented it and it worked well. Our way may conflict with the rules, however. Here's how we played it.

Pre-game. Randomly drop for 1st, 2nd, 3rd

Each Campaign.

Allocate 15 cubes.
High bidder adjusts position (1st campaign, order by bid)

Round 1
1st player moves.
1st player attempts to build a city if empty site
1st player attempts to build a temple
2nd player...
3rd player...
Strongest builds city (in area order)
Strongest builds temple
End campaign if army in last area
Reallocate cubes between temple/city builders
Round 2

Round 3

Score for strongest army in area.

Repeat for each compaign
Score end of round points for most temples/cities.

Somebody said to score the strongest army per area after each move and I have to say, regardless of the rules, that's a dumb idea. We didn't play it that way and I think it would make the value of bidding for order pointless.

I liked the game. I liked that it played fast. I liked outguessing on the initial bidding. I liked the choices between going for cities/temples/early end, strongest army. I like the bonus at the end for a "global" plan.

Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
flag msg tools
We played three player for the first time today and really enjoyed it too!

I disagree where you placed the army scoring. It should be in the slot after 3rd player and before attempt to build city. See rule 5.5.1.

I am not sure why you think it is a dumb idea or makes the turn order pointless. I think it is a great idea as it gives a third path of scoring and makes turn order far more important as you can now maneuver your armies to squeeze out a couple extra VP's.
 Thumb up
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.