Hide
7 Posts

Forbidden Stars» Forums » Rules

Subject: Tile placement vs first round player order. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomasz Kiszka
msg tools
Maybe I'm missing some part of the rules, but I'm confused if the first player token should be moved at the end of the tile placement "round".

Me and my friends figured out that this would make sense since it's usually a disadvantage to place the tiles first, as well as to place the orders first. So it seemed fair to switch the first player after tile placement so that the player who had to place his tiles first will at least have the last word when placing orders in the first round.

Could someone clarify this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
I was under the opinion that it's a disadvantage to place the orders first, but something of an advantage to place the tiles first (though more so on the second and third rounds, not as much the first). It's the last player whose final tile placement is "decided" by the rest of the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
islan wrote:
I was under the opinion that it's a disadvantage to place the orders first, but something of an advantage to place the tiles first (though more so on the second and third rounds, not as much the first). It's the last player whose final tile placement is "decided" by the rest of the table.

I'm lost. What tiles are you placing in the 2nd & 3rd rounds? Or are you talking about the order tokens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
stevepop wrote:
I'm lost. What tiles are you placing in the 2nd & 3rd rounds? Or are you talking about the order tokens?

I'm sorry, I meant the go-around of the tile placement. Where everyone plays their 1st tile, then 2nd tile, then 3rd tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Kiszka
msg tools
islan wrote:

Well this kind of makes sense, especially if you think about 3/4 player games. Most games that I played were 1v1 - in that case being first in tile placement still seems like, at best, equal to being second. Still, this opinion is mostly based on the outcome of those games, so is not necessarily valid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tkis91 wrote:
Maybe I'm missing some part of the rules, but I'm confused if the first player token should be moved at the end of the tile placement "round".

Me and my friends figured out that this would make sense since it's usually a disadvantage to place the tiles first, as well as to place the orders first. So it seemed fair to switch the first player after tile placement so that the player who had to place his tiles first will at least have the last word when placing orders in the first round.

Could someone clarify this?

No, it doesn't move.

"1st player" will place their 1st tile (and objectives) first. Go around the table clockwise one player at a time until all tiles, objectives and starting units have been placed.

When all tiles, objectives and starting units have been placed, the warp storms are placed. The "last player" places his warp storm first, then around the table anticlockwise, with the "1st player" placing his warp storm at the end.

The game is now ready to start. The "1st player" places his first order token, then clockwise round the board.

The "1st player" has been the same person throughout this process. He keeps the 1st player token throughout board set up and the first turn, right up until the start of the second turn. Only then does the token change, and that person is now the "last player".

Its mostly a disadvantage to go first, except as stated above, the last players get limited or no choice where their final tiles go. The 1st player can also ensure that his order is at the bottom of a stack (not usually a good thing, but can guarantee you get the final advance knowing that no-one can then take your conquered planet off you). The 1st player also gets to place the last warp storm during set up, so he sees where all the others are, and can place a defensive warp storm accordingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
More specifically, the act of rotating the first player token is a part of the End of Round step of the Refresh Phase, which comes after the Planning and Operations Phases.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.