Hide
8 Posts

Hannibal & Hamilcar» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Any example of play or full tur by turn session of the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
I have a hard time grasping the game flow. This is the first time I feel so much frustation,

Twilight struggle has semiliar card driven system and it easy to understand when and why you do something, Why choose to use even instead of revolution and etc.

In Hannibal I see no reason to play event for event most of the times,

We started with Iberia scenario whihc is a small scale warfare and +- ballance by designer notes,

I dont understand hOw Rome can have any chance to survive wit such small forces,
Scenario has few gimmick that supposed to hel but you can easily ignore them,

Turn one for Car opens with minor campaing card, Mago and Gisgo move forward to face scipio,
Mago with 4 CU attack Rome despite attempts to avoid confrontation so soon.
Mago goal to deal some meh attrition dmg and to die, That would lift ban of combining enemy forces from this scenario.
But this is not what happened, Mago won battle despite having twice as less card by spamming right flank,
Rome just didnt have enough cards to match them in its 12 card deck,
All counter attack rolls failed as well.

Rome loses 5 CU with 1 to attrition and 4 to retreat. Rome Army is basicly done for. Next turn Car just combines 2 forces and destroys Rome army 100%. After that Rome play is reduced to a card play.

After losing all CU you just cant siege or do anything else to achive Rome victory conditions.

I dont see any counter play, Praying that few rolls allow you to counter attack or avoid again and again is stupid,
Rome just need to hope that Car has no campgain card and immideatly attack Hasdrubal to remove him from play, That way you can at least get breathing room.

I need to read or see some detailed playtrough to undesrtand this game, I doubt it would get best 2p game if it was as dumb as it looks like to me right now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tons of session reports:
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/234/hannibal-rome-vs-car...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You are playing with bad tactics.

Keep at it.

I think you will find the game offers a lot more than you have found so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nik Degtyarenko
msg tools
All I see in thos reports are very same army rush from all sides and stack wipes with occasional 1 even played per whole round for something major as revolt or easier siege,

I dont see how Rome can survive past first round of the Iberia scenario.
You cant just hope for avoid land battle rolls. Thats not a stratedy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wyrtt wrote:
All I see in thos reports are very same army rush from all sides and stack wipes with occasional 1 even played per whole round for something major as revolt or easier siege,

Stack wipes? These are rare. Army rush? Not sure I understand what you mean by that.

I haven't played the Iberia scenario, but took a look at it.

1) This scenario looks like it has a higher variance than the proper game.
2) Why would you want to avoid battle with Scipio? Intercept instead.
3) The hard part in the scenario is to siege the 3 cities in time. Scipio shouldn't have any problems smashing these little armies.
4) The idea of the scenario looks interesting. Kind of turned the table on the original game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nil Desperandum
Wyrtt wrote:
I haven't played this, but it doesn't look at all hopeless.

If you are playing the full scenario rules, then Scipio starts entitled to 8+4+1=13 Battle Cards . The Carthaginians can't combine, so Hasdrubal can deploy 6+2+3= 11. He can only move on a 3, so he may not be a problem. Mago would only have 4+2+3=9 cards so moving against Scipio might be suicide.

I would move Scipio over the border and flip a token; Cartala is menacing. If Hasdrubal does move against Scipio and the battle is inconclusive then he leaves Iberia! If he doesn't come out to play, erode a path across Celtiberia and dare a lesser General to challenge you. If they don't you end the Year with 2 provinces.

Yes it isn't a perfect plan, but personally I'd rather be Scipio than against him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Kieffer

Minnesota
msg tools
mb
I don't have my copy yet and don't know how this scenario is set up, but having played upwards of 300 times, the game is fantastic and as perfectly balanced as any game can get. I've also seen incredible variation in how games play out, so it's not always the same strategy over and over.

Would definitely encourage you to continue playing. Possibly try the original setup, as that is obviously well known and people will be able to comment on different strategies much easier.

Hope you keep playing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tabletop Translation
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Wuerttemberg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Understanding Twilight Struggle is definitely a big help, although since some things are different it can be a disadvantage in a few aspects.

Overall though, the new version of Hannibal has awful rules. They did an amazing job with graphic design and layout, but a terrible job making them readable, clear and concise. In fact, I've found tons of typos in the English versions. Truly embarassing. And the rules are poorly organized. My first games I consistently had to read through the entire rule book only to find what I was looking for listed under a seemingly unrelated topic.

There's also no index.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.