Firefly Adventures: Brigands and Browncoats» Forums » General

Subject: First play through - a few questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I've started playing through Goose Juggling a few times now, but there's a few things I'm struggling to get my head around.

The event chart seems to assume that the alarm is on the timeline from the word go. What happens if you've not accessed it yet and you roll a Disgruntled Face or a Firefly?

More generally, it was hard to figure out how to approach this mission? We ended up finding a quiet corner (below the main compound), shooting each thug as he came out on patrol, then dragging the body into the building. We then had an empty compound to explore, but due to rolling lots of 4s and 5s on the event chart, only Kaylee could really attempt the tech test.

Given that you have to act heroic in the compound, I couldn't really see a way to do this mission in a sneaky fashion - it felt like our only option was to kill everyone.

Can anyone shed any light - either on things we might be doing wrong? Or generally on strategies for approaching the scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Mightyjim wrote:
So, I've started playing through Goose Juggling a few times now, but there's a few things I'm struggling to get my head around.

The event chart seems to assume that the alarm is on the timeline from the word go. What happens if you've not accessed it yet and you roll a Disgruntled Face or a Firefly?

I asked the same question:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1949462/alarm-goose-jugglin...

Essentially people interpret it as you do nothing.

Mightyjim wrote:
More generally, it was hard to figure out how to approach this mission? We ended up finding a quiet corner (below the main compound), shooting each thug as he came out on patrol, then dragging the body into the building. We then had an empty compound to explore, but due to rolling lots of 4s and 5s on the event chart, only Kaylee could really attempt the tech test.

Given that you have to act heroic in the compound, I couldn't really see a way to do this mission in a sneaky fashion - it felt like our only option was to kill everyone.

Can anyone shed any light - either on things we might be doing wrong? Or generally on strategies for approaching the scenario?

Yeah we've discussed this mission before as well on the forums. Seems the only real way to do it is to go in guns blazing. It kind of goes against the idea of the game, but I did it sneaking around at first, and ran out of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Deare and Sammy G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
That's what happened when we played the game we tried to be stealthy but it just wasn't working and we went in guns blazing and we just rolled through got the cash and escaped. It was fun but we had really wanted to be able to pull it off in a more sneaky fashion!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It just doesn't feel very Firefly-y at the moment. All guns blazing is the back-up plan when everything goes to pot.
(I know the gear has loads of thematic references, but it doesn't really drive the gameplay).

I've seen lots of people say that there's a great game in here somewhere, but right now I'm not seeing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Mightyjim wrote:
It just doesn't feel very Firefly-y at the moment. All guns blazing is the back-up plan when everything goes to pot.
(I know the gear has loads of thematic references, but it doesn't really drive the gameplay).

I've seen lots of people say that there's a great game in here somewhere, but right now I'm not seeing it.

Yeah this mission is an odd one. It has rules clearly designed for being sneaky (like alerting goons if you fire inside the complex), but after playing it and other people playing it, it seems the only way to play this mission is guns blazing. Very oddly designed as a mission for the game. Maybe we need to add an extra timeline segment to allow for some stealth.

Rescue Mission was the other mission I played, and while I got some rules wrong (first time playing), it was very tight yet I won in the end (with two people downed and the hostage almost dead). I played it stealthy up until wash screwed up and alerted a goon, so Mal and Zoe had to come in and save them, which alerted more goons, so in the meantime kaylee stayed casual to try and keep searching, but when she found the hostage she was no match for the goons, and had to send in Zoe to help. I definitely recommend Rescue Job before you decide if you like the game or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonathanStarr wrote:
I definitely recommend Rescue Job before you decide if you like the game or not.

Thanks, I'll give that one a try next.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Deare and Sammy G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The game has all of the elements of a great game cool new mechanics and ability to be stealthy or casual, you can hide bodies and more. For whatever reason It doesn't always come together and it can be very easy or quite challenging. There are also some items that make the guns blazing approach quite appealing like the Shotgun. The game needs either some better missions or some slight tweaks to truly become a great game. It's still quite enjoyable though

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
mb
Maybe it needs a modification of rules. Perhaps each timeline set up should be set up for a guns blazing approach, but with every 10 moments that the entire crew clear, if they we're all casual the entire time, you add a segment as a reward.

Or something like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jayson Deare and Sammy G
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's not a bad idea, I am sure there is a way to make the game better we love the theme and all of the ideas that are there it just needs a little more love and though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One quest gives a bonus if you don't kill any Cowboys.

Just played Goose Juggling. It definitely seems to be one where violence is, if not the answer, then certainly part of it. I had Mal talking to the guards, moving them along, and Kaylee can move them with a casual ability. It still required Jayne & Zoe waiting for the patrols in building 10, fists at the ready though.

...and of course, it all ended with a big gunfight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.