Popular Tags: [View All]
Nikki Y
Canada
Pickering
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As the title said, do people find that the game has longevity! I'm a big Harry Potter fan and want to get the game I'm just concerned after playing through games 1-7 that'll be it! Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
Win it or bin it
badge
Win it or bin it
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't think about the "games" like that. If Hogwarts Battle was any other board game then Game 7 would be the only game in the box. But Hogwarts Battle, being sold at Target and Chapters, is also aimed at people who have never played a board game since Monopoly, and Games 1-6 are meant to teach them how a modern cooperative deckbuilding game works.

I've played Game 7 over a dozen times and enjoy it every time (with about a 50-50 win ratio). We've been playing it since it came out, and only got the expansion this month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sanjay Kulkaček
msg tools
mbmbmb
I think the replayability is pretty good. I've played the game a few times past game seven and still wanted to play more (though after that we picked up the expansion so that of course added to the replayability as well).

Different games unfold very differently depending on what you get off the top of the Hogwarts deck and the order bad guys come out. Especially once you get to game 7, the Hogwarts deck is huge, so that adds a lot of variety. Also, playing a different character and proficiency combination can really change what kind of deck you want to build which also increases replayability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron E.
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
This is fine!
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think the game has replayability. The main driver of this for me is the large deck of hogwarts cards. I don't think it's really possible to get through the deck of cards available for purchase in one game, especially after game 7 or purchasing the expansion. So with each game, you see new cards show up in the market to buy, and are typically forced to employ new strategies. I should mention that this same randomness of the hogwarts market, combined with other factors, does make some games much harder or easier than others. For this reason I think you'll find this has better replayability if you're the type that is ok with house ruling or otherwise altering the game a bit to increase the fun factor. I think the game is best appreciated not as a perfect rigid system, but rather a well-done core of mechanics that should still be allowed to bend when it suits the player. Have fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gonzalvez
United States
Cupertino
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
devyogi wrote:
As the title said, do people find that the game has longevity! I'm a big Harry Potter fan and want to get the game I'm just concerned after playing through games 1-7 that'll be it! Thoughts?

Hi Nikki! I think the game has a lot of replayability. Each "game" does not provide or follow a story, it merely provides Hogwarts cards, locations and villains from each successive Harry Potter book/film. There are also some additional game mechanics added in certain Game boxes. Once you have played through the whole game from Game boxes 1-7, it's easy to reset and play through again, or reset to your preferred Game box (Games 4 and 5 are my favorites) and play those again. Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Worley
United States
Rosemount
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gravey wrote:
Don't think about the "games" like that. If Hogwarts Battle was any other board game then Game 7 would be the only game in the box. But Hogwarts Battle, being sold at Target and Chapters, is also aimed at people who have never played a board game since Monopoly, and Games 1-6 are meant to teach them how a modern cooperative deckbuilding game works.

I've played Game 7 over a dozen times and enjoy it every time (with about a 50-50 win ratio). We've been playing it since it came out, and only got the expansion this month.

I find Game 7 just takes too long for what it does and gets too fiddly with the Horcruxes.

When I pull the game out, I typically stick to Game 5. No Proficiency cards, no Horcuxes, etc. Games are a lot shorter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
msg tools
It's our most played game, I've probably played through book 7 20 or 30 times since we got it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikki Y
Canada
Pickering
ON
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much everyone! I've played games 1-4 at a board game bar and I've always wanted to own the game but I got worried about playing it again! Great to hear everyone still gets plays!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan König
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Me and the wife have played it through once (Game 1-7 and then the expansion 1-4) as Harry & Hermione and right now we're working through the same progression as Ron & Neville, playing game 20&21 last nigh, only 5 weeks after we bought it. Yeah, there is some replayability for sure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Stanford
United Kingdom
Baildon
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just putting it out there that I've got 14 plays this year already, 37 plays total, and my wife has played at least a dozen games solo.

Still enjoying it massively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
LudoH LudoH
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same thing here, a lot of game 7, but I also play games 4,5,6 and still enjoy it; generally this is when I play with people that do not know the game yet.

The expansion adds more new things that are enjoyable if you love the game but are not necessary for replayability
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.