Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Book Recommendations: PTO critical period December 1941-December 1942 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
My Little Man's first real wargame play: Barbarossa Solitaire
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking for books covering critical time in Pacific Theater from December 1941-December 1942.

I have read the following over the years
Rising Sun (WWII Time Life)
Pacific Onslaught (Ballantine WWII library)
Rising Sun by Toland
Miracle at Midway and At Dawn We Slept by Pranger
Shattered Sword
Guadalcanal by Frank
Eagle Against the Sun
Pacific Crucible by Toll

I currently own, but have not read yet, the following titles
The Admirals
Islands of Destiny Prados
Midnight in the Pacific by Wheeler
The Conquering Tide by Toll
The First South Pacific Campaign by Lundstrom
History of the US Navy by Love

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Gautier

Rhinebeck
New York
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not quite the same dates, but these are the books you want.

https://www.amazon.com/Barrier-Javelin-Japanese-Strategies-F...

https://www.amazon.com/Empires-Balance-Japanese-Pacific-Stra...

These are some of the best military histories written on any war, hands down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian Toll, “Pacific Crucible “
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stewart Thain
Scotland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could try HP Willmott's books:

- Empires in the Balance: Japanese and Allied Pacific Strategies to April 1942
- The Barrier and the Javelin: Japanese and Allied Strategies, February to June 1942
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the Japanese perspective try Japan 1941: Countdown to Infamy by Eri Hotta and The Imperial Japanese Army: The Invincible Years 1941-42 by Bill Yenne.

Given Up for Dead: America's Heroic Stand at Wake Island by Bill Sloan is a great book on this early battle, and shows how the US could have extended the resistance if the isolated command had known how well the individual positions were doing.

Of the books you have, Midnight in the Pacific by Wheeler by Joseph Wheelan is the best book I've read on Guadalcanal. It really brings home how important the battle was for the future of the war, and how a more aggressive Japanese response could have crushed the invasion. See Neptune's Inferno: The U.S. Navy at Guadalcanal by James D. Hornfischer for the naval side of the campaign.

The Conquering Tide is great, but later than your timeline.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes, Double-Edged Secrets- it's been over 30 years since I've read it, but I remember it being rather enlightening regarding what the USN knew and didn't know in those early months of the PTO.

https://www.amazon.com/Double-Edged-Secrets-Intelligence-Ope...

Also check out The Fleet the Gods Forgot by Winslow. It chronicles the plight of the US Asiatic Fleet from Pearl Harbor until about April 1942.

https://www.amazon.com/Fleet-Gods-Forgot-Asiatic-Bluejacket/...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:

+1

I've been reading on this conflict for nearly 40 years, and I still learned new things from this book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
desertfox2004 wrote:
narodynot wrote:

+1

I've been reading on this conflict for nearly 40 years, and I still learned new things from this book.

Thanks guys I appreciate the good comments but it is already on my read list above
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, man. Tim, I apologize. I even looked for Toll on your list, and still did not see it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M St
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
Agree with the recommendations for the Willmott books.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Islands of Destiny by our own John Prados.

Hawaii Under the Rising Sun: Japan's Plans for Conquest After Pearl Harbor, Prof. John J. Stephan

https://bit.ly/2Huw1el -- get it while you can

Independent Company: The Australian Army in Portuguese Timor 1941 - 43

My favorite boring topic -- https://www.amazon.com/Brisbane-Line-Controversy-Political-O...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
macbeth77 wrote:
You could try HP Willmott's books:

- Empires in the Balance: Japanese and Allied Pacific Strategies to April 1942
- The Barrier and the Javelin: Japanese and Allied Strategies, February to June 1942

These are the best.

Quote:
Holmes, Double-Edged Secrets
is also quite good, albeit narrowly focused.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Korchnoi
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
narodynot wrote:
Oh, man. Tim, I apologize. I even looked for Toll on your list, and still did not see it.

No biggie. I appreciated you and Leo taking the time to give feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

Both of these by Lundstrom:

The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway

The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign: Naval Fighter Combat from August to November 1942

Bruce Gamble's trilogy on Rabaul is also worth reading: Target Rabaul, Fortress Rabaul and Invasion Rabaul-- although Target deals with 43-45.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
Country side area north of Rome
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you want something that shows you the other side of the Pacific, you can get "Bloody Shambles The First Comprehensive Account of Air Operations over South East Asia December 1941 - April/May 1942" by Christopher Shores, Brian Cull and Yasuhho Izawa, it is in two volume volumes I "The Drift to War to the Fall of Singapore" and volumes II "The Defence of Sumatra to the Fall of Burma". They provide you an account, almost day by day, of what happened in the area, seen from the British side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Midway: The Battle That Doomed Japan," by Fuchida and Okumiya. A classic. The Japanese equivalent (or vice versa?) of Galland's "The First and the Last."

"Kaigun" by Evans and Peattie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:
"Midway: The Battle That Doomed Japan," by Fuchida and Okumiya. A classic. The Japanese equivalent (or vice versa?) of Galland's "The First and the Last."

Hasn't Fuchida's account been pretty much discredited?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a feder-allergic and I blame the Klingon for not having smashed the Federation in time to save us from Star Trek serials.
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Arcology wrote:

Hasn't Fuchida's account been pretty much discredited?

As long as I remember the last time it has been "Naval History" magazine.
Just an off topic consideration, I would compare Galland's "The First and the Last." with Clostermann's "The Big Show".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Like all memoirs, Midway should be read with a grain of salt -- but it still should be read. Historians rely on other notable, "classic" WWII memoirs (Doenitz, Speer, Chuikov, von Manstein, Guderian), but not for the whole picture, and they read them critically, as should we.

As this naval historian reviewer notes that while details of Midway have been questioned, and that it should be balanced with other accounts, "This is not to say that Midway does not have a place in the historiography of the battle. It is still an important source and provides a unique view of the decisions that influenced the outcome of the battle."

http://www.navyhistory.org/2012/12/book-review-midway-battle...

If anything, Midway is important for understanding how one book can shape people's perceptions of a historical event for decades; the limits of eyewitness accounts and memoirs generally; the limits of original Western research into the Japanese perspective; and how Axis memoirists may in some cases have told their victor audiences what they wanted to hear.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paolo Desalvo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:
Like all memoirs, Midway should be read with a grain of salt -- but it still should be read. Historians rely on other notable, "classic" WWII memoirs (Doenitz, Speer, Chuikov, von Manstein, Guderian), but not for the whole picture, and they read them critically, as should we.

As this naval historian reviewer notes that while details of Midway have been questioned, and that it should be balanced with other accounts, "This is not to say that Midway does not have a place in the historiography of the battle. It is still an important source and provides a unique view of the decisions that influenced the outcome of the battle."

If anything, Midway is important for understanding how one book can shape people's perceptions of a historical event for decades; the limits of eyewitness accounts and memoirs generally; the limits of original Western research into the Japanese perspective; and how Axis memoirists may in some cases have told their victor audiences what they wanted to hear.

The article I was talking of is on-line, read it.
https://www.usni.org/magazines/navalhistory/2016-12/commande...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United States
Kalamazoo
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
[q="SBGrad"]
Both of these by Lundstrom:

The First Team: Pacific Naval Air Combat from Pearl Harbor to Midway

The First Team and the Guadalcanal Campaign: Naval Fighter Combat from August to November 1942

thumbsupthumbsup Excellent recommendations! These books are real eye-openers>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arcology wrote:

As I recall, this was the impetus for the authors of Shattered Sword.. They noted that for years, Fuchida's account was the only Japanese account that Western historians seemed to rely on, probably because it was also published in English. Yet by the '70s, Japanese military historians were already picking Fuchida's story apart. Part of Fuchida's errors are, according to them, attributed to a cultural aversion to criticizing superiors. Shattered Sword dedicates much of its narrative toward disproving Fuchida.

On the other hand, an old friend of mine who's studied the IJN for decades and published a few ATO wargames doesn't buy all of Shattered Sword either (I don't have specifics). I found Shattered Sword to be an intriguing analysis of Midway, but it, too, may be flawed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian McCue
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Miracle at Midway, by Gordon Prange et alia, is a big step up from Fuchida IMHO. The preceding At Dawn We Slept covers Pearl Harbor, and the later Pearl Harbor: The Verdict of History recounts the Recriminations Phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Sample
United States
MILFORD
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Arcology wrote:

As I recall, this was the impetus for the authors of Shattered Sword.. They noted that for years, Fuchida's account was the only Japanese account that Western historians seemed to rely on, probably because it was also published in English. Yet by the '70s, Japanese military historians were already picking Fuchida's story apart. Part of Fuchida's errors are, according to them, attributed to a cultural aversion to criticizing superiors. Shattered Sword dedicates much of its narrative toward disproving Fuchida.

On the other hand, an old friend of mine who's studied the IJN for decades and published a few ATO wargames doesn't buy all of Shattered Sword either (I don't have specifics). I found Shattered Sword to be an intriguing analysis of Midway, but it, too, may be flawed.

Discussion of Shattered Sword, Fuchida here:

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/753710/fuchida-shattere...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.