Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryce Yoder
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Posted this in the General Gaming Forum before I realized I definitely should have had it in this forum

My gaming group has recently found a selection of games that we really enjoy, and I was hoping to hear some recommendations as to what else we could add to our game collections that would follow a similar vein.

The games we recently played were Roll for the Galaxy, and Rising 5: Runes of Asteros. What we enjoyed about these games was that they were strategy games that we were able to play within 30-60 minutes.

I like to refer to them as a "heavy filler" in that they are games you can bring out in many scenarios because of the time frame in which they are played, but they still lend themselves to significant amounts of thought and preparation.

Any recommendations would be welcome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Dienz
United States
Shelburne
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Century: Spice Road
Dominion
7 Wonders
Ra
Modern Art (about 60 min)
Imhotep

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Yoder
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Awesome thank you! I own Imhotep and I love the game. Also have played Dominion and 7 Wonders, but the other 3 are new to me and I will have to check them out. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are exactly the types of games I look for and Roll for the Galaxy is a favorite of mine. I recommend taking a look at Quantum. Your group might also enjoy the Tiny Epic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Yoder
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the ideas! I have Tiny Epic Galaxy but for some reason I have not been able to get it to the table yet outside of a two player game one time. I'll have to push a little harder on it in the future. I have looked into Tiny Epic Quest some though, so that will have to go right back on the list for me to check out. Also I will make sure to give Quantum a look. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zombie homer
msg tools
designer
Isle of Skye: From Chieftain to King is a really good one.

Queendomino is a quick one; you may be able to squeeze in 2 plays per session.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Barony
Domaine
Rheinländer
Heaven & Ale
Pergamon
Edo
Il Vecchio
Fealty
...to get you started.

A few of those might be borderline one hour on first play, but easily within one hour if everyone has played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Yoder
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you for the ideas. Isle of Skye is another game like Tiny Epic Galaxy that I own, but haven't been able to get it to the table yet for some reason. Queendomino though is one I have looked into before, but I may need to check it out again!

curtc, thank you for that list. I actually haven't heard of any of those games except for Domaine, so thank you for the list of new games to check out!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bryceyoder900 wrote:
curtc, thank you for that list. I actually haven't heard of any of those games except for Domaine,

If you haven't heard of the others, I wonder whether you might be confusing Domaine with Dominion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Yoder
United States
Fort Wayne
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No I've heard of Domaine before, primarily watching the Dice Tower and hearing Tom Vasel talk about it a few times. I looked it up before when he talked about it but I didn't look too much into it. I will now though and see if it's something that will peak the interest of my group or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Esther Joey Diamond
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One underrated older strategy game that I just got back to the table is Feld's Notre Dame.

Last night I taught two new players, they both loved it and so we played it a second time, coming in just under an hour but lots of interesting decision points. Also it plays 5P and should still be pretty quick if people are not too AP prone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A M
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Quantum - criminally underrated game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Garnica
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Heavy filler"...I like that term.

Sentient
World's Fair 1893
Ethnos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are a few recommendations for less than 1 hour games that still feel somewhat "meaty".

Agricola: Family Edition
Azul
Citrus
China
Gold West
Imhotep
Medina
Santiago de Cuba
Through the Desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.