Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We may not all be Bogart and Bergman, but it seems to me that the France game is excellent for 2. With 3 its very hairy and chaotic, with the chance of a track lay being snapped up by someone else rather too much. I have not played at 4 or 5 yet.

But 2. The map has loads of room, which would normally be a bit flat and lacking in conflict at 2, but the telegraphing of intentions via the track lay mechanisms makes up for this. There are painful choices to be made, and spoiling moves, but it seems in balance.

The Old West seems to have been getting more love than France, so here is some amour for her.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also for France lovers, and not the Boches: its the frontiers of pre-1871 and post-1918.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
I have played many more games of the France map than the Old West map. We have always played 3 player and I enjoy the extra challenge it brings.

In my experience, generally everyone can still find a way around the map even if their track gets pinched, as long as they are careful with their laying of coloured track beds - allowing for alternate routes, decoys and slowing your opponents down with track beds that you believe they do not have the colours for.

In my group, the other players have been more reluctant to play Old West as they have been totally locked out of destinations in 3 player games simply because they must build out from their starting city and can’t prevent the other players from claiming connections further afield. Personally I haven’t had this problem, but it definitely can be an issue and no double routes intensifies this.

What I have found with a Old West is there is not enough city interactions with 2 players and sometimes 3 players also, but I haven’t played with Alvin the Alien yet, which I believe should help to increase city interactions. I just love pinching my opponents points with the cities!
I want more cities & more point pinching if they continue this mechanism in a future map!

Both maps are great additions to the game, however I prefer the France map and hope they continue to explore this mechanism of track bed laying and the cross tracks being cut off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.