Trey Chambers
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Too long, didn't watch? Trump is dead set on blowing up the Iran deal, and is surrounding himself with yes-men who agree, but he has zero plan on how to replace it and seemingly plans to solve the issue with war against Iran.

I've long worried that the only way Trump wins in 2020 is to embroil us in a war, and the American voters will be too skittish to want to change horses in the middle of such an international crisis. He may even be planning to jump the gun and get things going before the November midterms in order to keep Republican majorities in both houses.

Ugh.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
I've told my brother 5 fucking times (including on Sunday) we didn't give Iran 'our money' and saying Hilary 'would have been worse' isn't a goddamn excuse for voting for Twitler. Oh, he also thinks Orange Jesus isn't in any serious trouble and that he stopped 10's of thousands of Syrians from entering the country.

For fucks sake I'm not even sure why I bother.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a little indication on how well and truly fucked we may be. (Story from March)

Quote:
Just eight months ago, at a Paris gathering, Bolton told members of the Iranian exile group, known as the Mujahedeen Khalq, MEK, or People’s Mujahedeen, that the Trump administration should embrace their goal of immediate regime change in Iran and recognize their group as a “viable” alternative.

“The outcome of the president’s policy review should be to determine that the Ayatollah Khomeini’s 1979 revolution will not last until its 40th birthday,” Bolton said. (The 40th anniversary of the Iranian revolution will be on February 11, 2019.) “The declared policy of the United States should be the overthrow of the mullahs’ regime in Tehran,” Bolton added. “The behavior and the objectives of the regime are not going to change and, therefore, the only solution is to change the regime itself.”

As the Iranian expatriate journalist Bahman Kalbasi noted, Bolton concluded his address to the exiles with a rousing promise: “And that’s why, before 2019, we here will celebrate in Tehran!”

https://theintercept.com/2018/03/23/heres-john-bolton-promis...

So if Trump withdraws from the agreement, what do one expect the Iranians to do? Trump has managed undercut the moderates in the regime and has lived up with their worst fears of the US's intentions. As in his hand picked security advisor is publicly advocated the overthrow of the present government there.

F'ing brilliant. Specially thanks to all of those too stupid to figure out the existential threat Trump posed to not only our democracy, but our lives as well. But hey, much more important to keep Hillary out of the Oval Office because...emails.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, backing out of a deal to stop a country from becoming nuclear is TOTALLY the way to show a country that has already become nuclear that you can TOTALLY trust the word of the United States.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Metal Undivided, Chaos For All
mbmbmbmbmb
Are there any conspiracy theories out there that say the whole reason we invaded Afghanistan and Iraq was to prepare for eventual war in Iran?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Cook
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:
Are there any conspiracy theories out there that say the whole reason we invaded Afghanistan and Iraq was to prepare for eventual war in Iran?

The dude who made those decisions didn't even know there was a Sunni/Shia divide in the Muslim world. You think we had deep plans??

The US did the best possible favor for Iran any country has ever done for another by getting rid of Saddam. As dumb as that administration was, I don't see it thinking the war in Iraq was a good first step to invading Iran.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mb
double ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
EMBison wrote:
The dude who made those decisions didn't even know there was a Sunni/Shia divide in the Muslim world. You think we had deep plans??

The US did the best possible favor for Iran any country has ever done for another by getting rid of Saddam. As dumb as that administration was, I don't see it thinking the war in Iran was a good first step to invading Iran.
You have to think like conspiracy theorist, the Project For A New American Century allegedly made Bush dance and how hard is it to get Trump to dance even when you aren't even in his circle? I'm not saying it's true or anything, but I would be interested to hear the theories.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder if Trump can get Putin to come down through Turkmenistan and they can split up the country ala Poland in 39. Much more friendly for each other than squabbling over Syria

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

Well that's one god-damned slow developing conspiracy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, at this point, it (WWIII) seems the only way to be sure.

I'm ready for whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

The best ones would be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheChin! wrote:

That would definitely fall only in the conspiracy theory realm.

I think Afghanistan has only 9-11 as a rationale, but conspiracist thoughts on Iraq lean towards controlling oil fields and countering Iran.

What I don't get is that commentators are not drawing direct comparisons on the path Obama (or any prior administration) took with Iran to the road Trump is heading down with N. Korea. He distrusts everything about the inspection reports and their conclusions yet is creating (potentially) the same construct in Asia. That is less of a concern because the far right is anticipating the Middke East War.

I'm not scared, just disgusted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

This quote was an actual thing during the run-up to the Iraq War: “Everyone wants to go to Baghdad. Real men want to go to Tehran.”

Yeah, guys like John Bolton absolutely wanted to invade Iran after the Iraq War. For them, Baghdad was just a preparatory war.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

The god-damed interminable Iraq War derailed a very real project. (A very real project for some, but not everybody was keen on it.)

http://www.jstor.org/stable/4122038
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bowen wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

This quote was an actual thing during the run-up to the Iraq War: “Everyone wants to go to Baghdad. Real men want to go to Tehran.”

Yeah, guys like John Bolton absolutely wanted to invade Iran after the Iraq War. For them, Baghdad was just a preparatory war.

I'm still amazed we got to the end of W's presidency without attacking Iran. Cheney was raring to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:

One of the stated reasons for invading Iraq was to establish bases to help maintain peace in the mideast. (Kind of like Europe post-WWII.) It's not a stretch to say this was to contain Iran, if not invade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
qzhdad wrote:
TheChin! wrote:

One of the stated reasons for invading Iraq was to establish bases to help maintain peace in the mideast. (Kind of like Europe post-WWII.) It's not a stretch to say this was to contain Iran, if not invade.

There was a nice two part Frontline recently about the standing power-balance conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

They basically said that attacking Iraq and Afghanistan was a huge boon to Iran and dramatically strengthened Iran's position relative to Saudi Arabia.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:

I'm still amazed we got to the end of W's presidency without attacking Iran. Cheney was raring to go.

This, plus McCain’s campaign rhetoric on Iran, are what (IMHO) won Obama the Peace Prize. I’ve certainly never heard a better justification.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vic Lineal
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mb
dkearns wrote:
There was a nice two part Frontline recently about the standing power-balance conflict between Iran and Saudi Arabia.

They basically said that attacking Iraq and Afghanistan was a huge boon to Iran and dramatically strengthened Iran's position relative to Saudi Arabia.

While Middle East geopolitics is a very layered and complicated affair (no shit, Vic), you can get a reasonable first-order picture of who supports whom and where does everyone stand by drawing a map around four proxy, low intensity conflicts for hegemony that pitch regional powers, plus how other agents relate to these conflicts:

- Between Saudi Arabia and Iran
- Between Israel and Iran
- Between Saudi Arabia and Qatar
- Between the US and Russia

Iran definitely has strengthened its position as a result of the collapse of the American rearguard in Iraq and the failed toppling of Assad - to the point that they are close to securing a land route to the Mediterranean and their popularity has increased in large parts of the region. In a way, this strengthening of the Irani position has exacerbated the rivalry between Saudi Arabia and Qatar (last year's diplomatic offensive was clearly an attempt to reassert Saudi Arabia's hegemony in the conservative Sunni political space in the region) and is also behind the surge of Western weapons sales to Saudi Arabia, as the Saudis are getting more and more mired in the Yemeni civil war, which has the potential to become Saudi Arabia's own Vietnam, against the Iran-backed Houthis.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
The bad part of the Iran deal is that Iran and most of the rest of the Middle East actors took the deal as the US allying with Iran and giving them a green light for naked aggression so long as they stick to conventional warfare, at least in the near term. The solution is not to dump the deal but to divest Iran of this notion in such a manner that they and others in the region perceive that the US is serious.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
The bad part of the Iran deal is that Iran and most of the rest of the Middle East actors took the deal as the US allying with Iran and giving them a green light for naked aggression so long as they stick to conventional warfare, at least in the near term. The solution is not to dump the deal but to divest Iran of this notion in such a manner that they and others in the region perceive that the US is serious.

Oh yeah right Iran thinks they were allied with the US again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendell;

Try listening to to some actual damned political speeches from the Middle East.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Wendell;

Try listening to to some actual damned political speeches from the Middle East.

You are telling me Iran feels like it is allied to the United States? Really? That's laughable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wedell;

For goodness's sake, don't be willfully obtuse. No, Iran does not think it's literally a US ally. They just may as well be because the US and Europe have made it abundantly clear no one from the US or Europe will interfere in Iran's regional aggressions so long as they stick to conventional weapons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.