Popular Tags: [View All]
Rick Spray
United States
Madison
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We’ve already discussed the “I split you choose” mechanic (See Animals on Board post in my Geeklist). For me New York Slice is one of the weaker games in this genre; however, my wife loves pizza and I believe she likes this one better mechanically than Animals on Board. We played New York Slice at Coast Con back in March of 2017, our first Con. This one was an instant buy because I have to take care of my lady and get her what she wants every once in a while. Certainly, I believe she likes the theme more than anything, but I also think she likes the simplicity of this game as well.

For me the game is too stagnant. The first player splits the pizza into as many sections as there are players and places a tile on one of groups of slices to either make it more enticing, or less enticing. Then that person gets to pick last. Now there are a few more aspects to this game, but as far as play goes this is about it. You are basically trying to get the most of a number, then you score that many points. For instance, if I get four “7” slices and my wife gets 5, she scores 7 points and I score none.

For me, the ability to have to pay a certain amount of food for your groups makes Animals on Board a much more dynamic game, but many will find the theme and childish art less appealing. I have been told to try Hanamikoji as a two player game with an “I split you choose” mechanic, but have not had the chance yet. I am still looking for a great I split you choose game, but for now Animals on Board is the best I’ve played. New York Slice is a great production and has a theme that many would like to start a game night off with as a filler, especially if they were eating pizza. And for a gateway game group, this would definitely serve that purpose.

For me, this one stays on the shelf to make my wife happy, and is okay to play with the family once every couple of months when we order pizza. Other than that, I could pass on this one. But I am glad my wife can have a few games on my shelf to call her own and be happy to look at. New York Slice will probably never leave the shelf for that reason alone, and I’m okay with that. My wife sacrifices so much for my hobby, and any time I can give back just a bit, it makes me happy.

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Allers
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Animals On Board is a great game, and I like the "I split OR choose" mechanic.

For "one splits, then everyone chooses" you can also check out the first game in the genre,San Marco or its 2-player spinoff Canal Grande

A more recent 2-Player game is Jolly & Roger

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Puram
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
Let's meet up for games and coffee!
badge
Golden... As in Oldie! I'm new to the Portland area and looking for gamers to game with and new gaming groups to join! I'm 50+ and like most games but do have a special affinity for dry, cube pushing euros!
mbmbmbmbmb
Redd85 wrote:
We’ve already discussed the “I split you choose” mechanic (See Animals on Board post in my Geeklist). For me New York Slice is one of the weaker games in this genre; however, my wife loves pizza and I believe she likes this one better mechanically than Animals on Board. We played New York Slice at Coast Con back in March of 2017, our first Con. This one was an instant buy because I have to take care of my lady and get her what she wants every once in a while. Certainly, I believe she likes the theme more than anything, but I also think she likes the simplicity of this game as well.

For me the game is too stagnant. The first player splits the pizza into as many sections as there are players and places a tile on one of groups of slices to either make it more enticing, or less enticing. Then that person gets to pick last. Now there are a few more aspects to this game, but as far as play goes this is about it. You are basically trying to get the most of a number, then you score that many points. For instance, if I get four “7” slices and my wife gets 5, she scores 7 points and I score none.

For me, the ability to have to pay a certain amount of food for your groups makes Animals on Board a much more dynamic game, but many will find the theme and childish art less appealing. I have been told to try Hanamikoji as a two player game with an “I split you choose” mechanic, but have not had the chance yet. I am still looking for a great I split you choose game, but for now Animals on Board is the best I’ve played. New York Slice is a great production and has a theme that many would like to start a game night off with as a filler, especially if they were eating pizza. And for a gateway game group, this would definitely serve that purpose.

For me, this one stays on the shelf to make my wife happy, and is okay to play with the family once every couple of months when we order pizza. Other than that, I could pass on this one. But I am glad my wife can have a few games on my shelf to call her own and be happy to look at. New York Slice will probably never leave the shelf for that reason alone, and I’m okay with that. My wife sacrifices so much for my hobby, and any time I can give back just a bit, it makes me happy.

Check out my Geeklist for other games on my shelf. https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/236719/why-its-my-shelf

Well, I really like Piece o' Cake which was the original version of New York Slice. I thought the decisions were agonizing as you had to watch the rest of the players carefully. The simplicity of the rest of the mechanics gave clarity to the core mechanic.

I wanted to like San Marco as I loved the artwork and the concept but there were a few wildly powerful options and too much luck and randomness with dice rolls.

I love this mechanic though and have a copy of Shitenno which looks good although I haven't got it played yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.