Subject: How to handle Japanese Smothering Air Attacks? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Flowers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Hey

We are playing the 43 scenario, and the Japanese did something i haven't seen before. Early on T5, they activated 8 air units and hit all the non-Marine air (the Marine planes were on Guad and Espiritu) with 66 factors total. I lost 5 total steps in a flash, while i did hit back and take out 3 steps. However, at the moment, the Japanese already had more air than me in the area, and now they have air supremacy the rest of the turn (and will get 6 new air steps on T6 vs my 5 air steps). My 2 CVs are flipped, so not much help there.

I do have 2 army air at Midway/Pearl, but can't move them down to the Solomons/NG area. I also am moving the 2 army air that weirdly start in Alaska down to the Solomons, so i will get those 2 air units plus the 5 replacements of course, and more CVs are coming.

Still though, how to prevent a mauling like that when you are at an overall disadvantage? And, how to prevent him from just doing it over and over until i have no air left to protect my ground forces?

I could have brought the marine air nearby the army air in New Guinea, so that it could have reacted into the battles too.
I also could keep most of my air further back from the front lines (they were in Gili Gili and Moresby), so that he could only hit one air and not take out 5 steps, but i have to protect the ground forces, or the Jap air will then just hit and flip them instead, so it isn't like i could just sit back and not fight at poor odds.

In a campaign game, i would be sort of OK with losing 5 steps to 3 steps, or at least not too bothered by it, as long term attrition will get him. But, in a 3 turn scenario, he doesn't care about losing those 3 steps as much as i care about the 5 steps.

So, not sure how to prevent this kind of thing in a 43 scenario type of game (or even in a campaign game). Had never seen the Japs be that aggressive with air in 43 and then have air superiority.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Randy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Boone
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have a picture? They say they're worth a 1000 words.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rainman2015 wrote:
Hey

We are playing the 43 scenario, and the Japanese did something i haven't seen before. Early on T5, they activated 8 air units and hit all the non-Marine air (the Marine planes were on Guad and Espiritu) with 66 factors total. I lost 5 total steps in a flash, while i did hit back and take out 3 steps. However, at the moment, the Japanese already had more air than me in the area, and now they have air supremacy the rest of the turn (and will get 6 new air steps on T6 vs my 5 air steps). My 2 CVs are flipped, so not much help there.

I do have 2 army air at Midway/Pearl, but can't move them down to the Solomons/NG area. I also am moving the 2 army air that weirdly start in Alaska down to the Solomons, so i will get those 2 air units plus the 5 replacements of course, and more CVs are coming.

Still though, how to prevent a mauling like that when you are at an overall disadvantage? And, how to prevent him from just doing it over and over until i have no air left to protect my ground forces?

I could have brought the marine air nearby the army air in New Guinea, so that it could have reacted into the battles too.
I also could keep most of my air further back from the front lines (they were in Gili Gili and Moresby), so that he could only hit one air and not take out 5 steps, but i have to protect the ground forces, or the Jap air will then just hit and flip them instead, so it isn't like i could just sit back and not fight at poor odds.

In a campaign game, i would be sort of OK with losing 5 steps to 3 steps, or at least not too bothered by it, as long term attrition will get him. But, in a 3 turn scenario, he doesn't care about losing those 3 steps as much as i care about the 5 steps.

So, not sure how to prevent this kind of thing in a 43 scenario type of game (or even in a campaign game). Had never seen the Japs be that aggressive with air in 43 and then have air superiority.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Randy

I will start with perception is everything, if the Allies lost 5 air steps to 3 for the JP then it was not a major defeat, in fact I would take that trade every time. The Allied 5 air steps are going to be replaced, the JP ones will not and the new 6 air steps are all poorly piloted so are all rated 8 hence very inefficient from an activation point of view.

My one question is for 6 air units to have a strength of 66, I presume you reduced the elite air unit first, if not, an area for improvement in the future.

Another point is none of what you described is a 'smothering' attack as that would be defined as a small attack that ties down an airfield or port in its own defense. What I believe you are describing is an I-GO air offensive (see card, but it may be the one that caused this attack) exactly as envisioned by Yamato at this time in the war. So view this as you experienced a piece of history.

Now for some advice; the situation at the beginning of the '43 scenario is right after the evacuation of Guadalcanal. I would start with this article:

https://theboardgaminglife.com/2012/10/25/empire-of-the-sun-...

Tom is a very strong player and he has won the championship at least once, probably twice, so he knows what he's talking about. In addition here is an article that I wrote in c3i magazine on this topic:

http://www.c3iopscenter.com/currentops/wp-content/uploads/20...

Beyond this without seeing exactly what happened it is hard to give more tailored advice, but an air war in the Solomons Islands usually comes out well for the Allies.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Flowers
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
John, no pictures.

I had just recently read both those articles Mark

He hit me in 2 different attacks (Gili Gili and Moresby) where i had a flipped AUS AF, and 2 US AF and 2 US LRB. The Marine air was too far away to help on Guad, etc. Yes, he did use an elite, but i couldn't flip it as he hit Gili Gili with 40 pts (incl elite air) vs my 14 and he got a 1 result vs my no effect, so i lost all 4 steps in Gili Gili to his none. Then, i was able to react, and brought up the Kent, Lexington (flipped) and the LRB in Australia to get 30 pts vs his 26 pts in the Moresby attack, and killed 3 steps vs losing 1 in that attack.

I am only just now playing a scenario, as i had done just the CG previously. In the CG, it is unlikely that the Japanese will do such a thing as they can't afford losing 3 steps vs my 5 steps in the long run. However, in a scenario, this kind of thing becomes more enticing for the Japanese, as it gives him air superiority early in the turn. So, this all out air attack surprised me strategically.

If i had it to do over again, i would have put the Kent on Guad to protect the ground troops there, and brought both Marine air units over to New Guinea where the rest of my air was. I would leave the Marines (and the AUS Air) in NG itself (since they have the short range) to protect front line troops from air attack, but would leave the rest of my air back in Australia, out of range of his air, so that i could react (or not) into any massive air offensive like this on better terms, plus, would have had the Marine air to help even the battle out. Is that how you would position your air to minimize the effects of these kind of big air attacks on your exposed front line air?

The real issue is that, now, i have very little air left for the rest of the turn to protect my ground troops, or to use to pin reaction forces. Plus, any more air i lose will not come back, as i have already lost 6 steps of air total for the turn and we are in the 2nd card play.

Things will also improve next turn when i get the air groups in the Aluetians down to the Solomons, and get some CV replacements, and the 5 air steps of course.

In a 3 turn scenario, i don't see him coming close to running out of air steps, whereas, for the moment at least, i am running out early in a turn. Again, in a CG, i would see the situation differently, but in a 3 turn scenario he can gang up and get 40-8 type air attacks, whittling me down quickly. Of course, every time he does that, it takes a good offensive card out of his hand too, so there is that.

This is such a deep game, having played a full campaign now (Japan got invaded), i still am learning all the time, and a scenario vs a CG is a different animal also.

Randy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What is CG stand for?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Haggett
United States
Riverside
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Campaign Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Herman
United States
New York
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.