18 Posts

The 7th Continent» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hand size: item vs item-skill cards rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Stranberg
msg tools
Hey guys!

Just wondering about hand size and how many items I can hold.

1. Do items that are not skill cards, and that do not need to be crafted, need a die on them immediately? For example, if I get 3 pieces of crab meat, but only have one die do I have to throw two pieces away?

Thanks,
Adam

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Items you find must be handled in exactly the same way as items you have just crafted. For each card you found, one of the involved characters must add them to their inventory.

If they have a spare die left, a player can use it to make a new item, or the cards could be added to existing items of the player.

So if you have a spare die and you don't have 4 players, you probably want to stack all three food into a single item (the keywords will match, so you can increase the pip value to 3).

If none of you that went on the hunt have a spare die for another item, you are going to have to add the food to existing items that still have room. Rememeber that you can attach any newly crafted or found item to any other item you already have provided it is not yet at the stacking limit specified on the Journal & Satchel card for your player count. If the top card of that item you attach them to doesn't share a keyword with your food, you won't be able to increase the die value, though.

Finally, if none of the players that went hunting have any room available, you are going to have to choose if you want to discard an existing item to make room for your new food, or otherwise discard the food you can't make use of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bubleeshaark wrote:

1. Do items that are not skill cards, and that do not need to be crafted, need a die on them immediately?

Items that you find are immediately added to your inventory, either to an existing stack or to a new one.

bubleeshaark wrote:

For example, if I get 3 pieces of crab meat, but only have one die do I have to throw two pieces away?

Combine those three items into one. It takes one slot in your inventory that way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Nerman
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
xemxi wrote:

bubleeshaark wrote:

For example, if I get 3 pieces of crab meat, but only have one die do I have to throw two pieces away?

Combine those three items into one. It takes one slot in your inventory that way.

I guess at that point if you eat one crab meat, you have to eat all three?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nerman8r wrote:
I guess at that point if you eat one crab meat, you have to eat all three?

No, eating the meat is an action (with a white icon) and you cannot perform multiple actions simultaneously.

Stacking them onto the same item gives you a three item stack with durability 3 as a keyword of the second and third crab meat cards matches the first of course. Then, each time you eat one of the crab meats and discard that item card from the stack, you reduce the die by one.

So you will be able to take three consecutive actions to eat each crab meat, but you can't eat them all at once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcel Stipetic
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you have to be on the fire tile in order to eat the crab meat? The card instruction is not specific; it only mentions having a fire resource. Thematically, it makes sense that you'd have to be at the fire to cook it, but just wondering if anyone thinks otherwise.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Poisonguy wrote:
Do you have to be on the fire tile in order to eat the crab meat? The card instruction is not specific; it only mentions having a fire resource. Thematically, it makes sense that you'd have to be at the fire to cook it, but just wondering if anyone thinks otherwise.

You only 'have' resources if the fire resource is present on your space, so yes, you must be at a place where you have placed a fire token or at a card that has its own fire resource provided already.

Of course, you could eat it anywhere, but you won't get as good a benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Engler
Australia
flag msg tools
Also, pay attention that you need a fire "resource", not specifically a fire "token". While making a fire and placing a fire token does grant the fire resource on that terrain, that's not the only way how a fire resource can be available on a specific terrain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Evanson
msg tools
Clipper wrote:
Poisonguy wrote:

You only 'have' resources if the fire resource is present on your space, so yes, you must be at a place where you have placed a fire token or at a card that has its own fire resource provided already.

That seems confusingly worded. I’d go with:

You do not need to be on a terrain card with a fire resource to eat food. If you are on a terrain card with a fire resource while eating food, however, you will receive an added benefit - you’ll double the number of cards you can transfer from the discard pile back to the Action deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evan E wrote:
Clipper wrote:
Poisonguy wrote:

That seems confusingly worded. I’d go with:

You do not need to be on a terrain card with a fire resource to eat food. If you are on a terrain card with a fire resource while eating food, however, you will receive an added benefit - you’ll double the number of cards you can transfer from the discard pile back to the Action deck.

That’s not true, the food itself tell you how much the benefit is, but it isn’t always double
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Evanson
msg tools
Ah, thanks for the correction. I guess it's just that so far every item of food I've gotten has had the option to double the card reward if you have a fire resource. Sorry for confusing things when I was trying to clarify.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stranberg
msg tools
Thanks for the comments!

As an additional question:

2. Do item-skill cards count against BOTH item(dice) AND skill hand limit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJM
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bubleeshaark wrote:
Thanks for the comments!

Nope. Once an item is crafted it leaves your hand and doesn't count against the limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Stranberg
msg tools
nintendojunkie wrote:
bubleeshaark wrote:
Thanks for the comments!

Nope. Once an item is crafted it leaves your hand and doesn't count against the limit.

Holy crap. This game just got a lot more manageable...........

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BJM
United States
Meridian
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bubleeshaark wrote:
nintendojunkie wrote:
bubleeshaark wrote:
Thanks for the comments!

Holy crap. This game just got a lot more manageable...........

Yikes, you were playing on SUPER-hard mode. I have a hard enough time managing my hand as it is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, treating them as Skill cards still would be an insane level of difficulty, especially in solo.

Given that found items put their die value at the top-left of the card, I like to think of the die consequence visible on the craftable Skill cards as replacing the blue hand when the item is successfully crafted. It means the card that used to be a Skill card transforms itself fully into an Item card when crafted, which makes the rules for how to treat the card easier to understand for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curtiss Cox
United States
Arlington
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
At one point wasn't there an alpha rule (or possibly my misinterpretation of the rule) where State cards would count towards the number of cards in hand? So that the more state cards you had, the fewer blue cards you had access to?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CheddarLimbo wrote:
At one point wasn't there an alpha rule (or possibly my misinterpretation of the rule) where State cards would count towards the number of cards in hand? So that the more state cards you had, the fewer blue cards you had access to?

Not that I recall. I can only ever recall there being blue and green limits, not a total limit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.