Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Terraforming Mars» Forums » General

Subject: Area control/ Area Influence in TM rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Schierholt
msg tools
mb
Doesn´t the Award "Landlord" make the Area control/ Area Influence to be included as a mechanic in the game? If we consider the whole planet as an area, the players are disputing the control/influence of this area.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume it has tile placement which probably presumes that the placed tiles already do things like that.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason DuVall

Compton
California
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Area control/influence is a mechanic in the game, regardless of whether the Landlord award is in play or not. Placing a city, in and of itself, deters other players from placing Greenery tiles in its perimeter, and blocks other cities from being placed adjacent (almost) completely. Several cities placed early can easily make it hard for others to place optimal cities/greeneries without giving points to the enemy in the process.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuralex wrote:
Doesn´t the Award "Landlord" make the Area control/ Area Influence to be included as a mechanic in the game? If we consider the whole planet as an area, the players are disputing the control/influence of this area.
I would describe that as an exceptionally long bow cool
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Zuralex wrote:
Doesn´t the Award "Landlord" make the Area control/ Area Influence to be included as a mechanic in the game? If we consider the whole planet as an area, the players are disputing the control/influence of this area.


I don't know that I understand what you are trying to figure out here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe technically, but when I think about area control games, my natural assumption is that there are multiple areas to contest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
Zuralex wrote:
Doesn´t the Award "Landlord" make the Area control/ Area Influence to be included as a mechanic in the game? If we consider the whole planet as an area, the players are disputing the control/influence of this area.


I don't know that I understand what you are trying to figure out here.

I think he wants to add "area control" to the BGG game page description?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
I think he wants to add "area control" to the BGG game page description?


Ahh. Ok. Sure? Does it matter?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
Robrob wrote:
I think he wants to add "area control" to the BGG game page description?


Ahh. Ok. Sure? Does it matter?

Yes it matters. Whats the point of having categories if not to use them. That being said... No. This is not an area control game. It's tile placement.

Set collection is also a bit of a stretch. The game isn't about that. In set collection games collecting sets should be required to win. I have won many games ignoring Awards and Milestones.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
General Norris
Spain
flag msg tools
Avatar
mb
Technically yes, it kind of is area control. But at that point Age of Steam is also an Area Control game and so is Food Chain Magnate.

Better leave it aside.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Yes it matters. Whats the point of having categories if not to use them.


Ah, yeah, I don't know that I agree that it remotely matters. Are there people who don't buy this game 'cause the BGG game description doesn't say "Area Control" that are suddenly going to go out and buy this game 'cause it has been changed to say that it is "Area Control"?

Heck, I have been very active on BGG for *years* and have never even noticed that these particular game categories were applied to particular games, let alone ever existed. But, ok, that's me. If someone wants to argue that TM should include "Area Control" as a game descriptor, go nuts?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Young
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Old Ways Are Best!
badge
Check Six!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could well ask why it matters what terms are used in the list of mechanics - but when Scythe described itself as a 4X game, you should have seen the tapestry of threads woven around that expression! Words matter quite a lot, to some...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
You could well ask why it matters what terms are used in the list of mechanics - but when Scythe described itself as a 4X game, you should have seen the tapestry of threads woven around that expression! Words matter quite a lot, to some...


Ah, fair enough. I occasionally forget that this is the internet, where people like to argue about the scientific inaccuracies of "Earth 2" [1].

[1] (That is a 20+ year old joke about the internet. I'm old.)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Bubslug wrote:
You could well ask why it matters what terms are used in the list of mechanics - but when Scythe described itself as a 4X game, you should have seen the tapestry of threads woven around that expression! Words matter quite a lot, to some...

That game was the one real KS regret I ever had. So much hype for something that did not live up to it's proposed labels.





And if words don't matter to you why do you use them? Without an standard set of definition for terms communication couldn't exist.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
And if words don't matter to you why do you use them? Without an standard set of definition for terms communication couldn't exist.


Well, it isn't really a matter of "do words matter" or not. It is much more a matter of "does it matter if a game description on a website has all possible descriptor options included or not, and is it worth quibbling over a missing inclusion or not".

Words? Yeah, words matter.

Does it matter if the BGG description for Terraforming Mars contains the "Area Control" descriptor? Probably not.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
bakija wrote:
corkysru wrote:
And if words don't matter to you why do you use them? Without an standard set of definition for terms communication couldn't exist.


Well, it isn't really a matter of "do words matter" or not. It is much more a matter of "does it matter if a game description on a website has all possible descriptor options included or not, and is it worth quibbling over a missing inclusion or not".

Words? Yeah, words matter.

Does it matter if the BGG description for Terraforming Mars contains the "Area Control" descriptor? Probably not.

Why?

I don't care who the artist is of a game. But I'm not going to say it doesn't matter.
Some people like/hate certain mechanics. It just a piece of information like designer, artist, publisher.... Does it matter to your life? Maybe no. Does it matter enough to record it? Sure. Someone might find it useful.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
I don't care who the artist is of a game. But I'm not going to say it doesn't matter.
Some people like/hate certain mechanics. It just a piece of information like designer, artist, publisher.... Does it matter to your life? Maybe no. Does it matter enough to record it? Sure. Someone might find it useful.


Fair enough.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.