Subject: This vs Blood Rage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Pavol Salak
Czech Republic
Praha
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After having seen previews I instantly thought Blood Rage re-skin. However, I've played BR only once. So, from perspective of experienced BR players, what do you think is better, what is worse in this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
Blood Rage is my favourite board game and Court of the Dead seems to tick the same boxes. A relatively fast/streamlined dudes one a map/area control game with interesting euro mechanics and awesome minis. And even if some elements (card drafting and hidden quests for example) seem similar, the two games look quite different in detail.
But what elements are better or worse is hard to say until we have played Court of the Dead. So far I'm a little sceptical about the cooperative nature of the two tracks and the blind bidding mechanism. But I'm really looking forward to the card drafting system and the impact of ether distribution. I also love that CotD has such a rich lore, which helps to immerse yourself in the theme of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dimhalo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Am also thinking the same, the game looks great but I need convincing there is enough here that is different to warrant owning both games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
That depends... Would you like another game that fits the same niche that blood rage does or do you prefer having a completely different game? I don't know what your barrier is to have a game that is similar but different. I watched the Man vs Meeple playthrough video. It gave me a good impression of what the game feels like. I instantly thought "I want to play this!". And though many elements reminded me of blood rage, I never thought it is just Bloodrage rethemed. Would you consider buying Inis, which has similar mechanics? If yes, you can also buy Court of the Dead. But only time will tell if it really gets enough table time in addition to Blood Rage. But that is something every game group must find out for themselves, after they played it a couple of times. For me it looks definitely different enough to own both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Heffernan
Australia
flag msg tools
I have played bloodrage a number of times and I love it. No doubt court of the dead is similar.

What BR does really well is strip out all the fuss and fiddly rules that games often have and focus on the 2 mechanisms of drafting and area control. Court of the dead has the same main mechanisms with a little bit more going on than blood rage but far less than rising sun. Should sit at a pretty similar feel to BR in terms of weight.

Bloodrage also has excellent thematic integration with the mechanisms and challenges a classic troupe of losing troops being bad. Court of the dead seems to share this trait, with the 2 semi co op tracks adding very interesting player interaction that ties with the theme.

What court of the dead adds is an interesting semi co-op element using those tracks to provide an added layer of tension between players. It also adds some light bluffing, bidding and deduction.

Personally I like the theme in blood rage a lot, but I love the court of the dead theme even more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thebrewgeek
United States
Fall River
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blood rage is a gem and this seems to be similar but there are a number of question marks. Is the game balanced, is it fun, does the semi cooperative game play work? I'm very interested in this game and the good news is there are no Kickstarter Exclusives (besides component upgrade, which I could care less about) so we can wait for this game to hit retail. Once the reviews come out you can probably make a better decision if this game is for you and at that point you'll be able to buy the game at a much cheaper cost. Everybody wins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Engel
Germany
Cham
flag msg tools
Damn you voice of reason!
Look deep into my eyes, say it with me "I want this game, I want it as soon as possible."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hudson
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Brawling Brothers podcast covers a lot of info on this topic. Might be worth checking out if you are looking for unbiased 3rd party feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
nice art and figures,another boring area control game,easy pass

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Heffernan
Australia
flag msg tools
@Thebrewgeek

Yeah I like how the company is offering a bonus to backers but not trying to exploit FOMO in a way that makes retail version unsatisfying by comparison. My favorite stretch goal model is the KS component upgrades with both versions having all content.

Personally I am happy to take the risk on this one, I can tell from the rules PDF the mechanisms are well thought out and will work in game, its just a matter of weather or not each card effect is balanced and each secret objective is of similar value ect. Considering it is pretty easy to get those things right I am not worried about a balance flunk on this one.

I am reasonably confident this game will replace blood rage in my group, as semi co-op always goes down well with us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
saravakos wrote:
nice art and figures,another boring area control game,easy pass

Just couldn't resist, could you?
Like driving past a movie with a line out the door and yelling "Loosers" as you fly by.

I'm in. thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
Blood Rage has no major factor of randomness.

Court of the Dead has various dice rolls that sound like a bad roll can lose you the game.

Unless there is a more deterministic variant by the end of the Kickstarter I'll drop my pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
The dice rolling component of the game is minimal. It’s used to determine the size of the ethereal pool at ethereal distribution. The number of dice rolled is determined by the number of players, it’s then split into allotments equal to the number of players +1. This action is performed by the player who currently has Death. In reverse with death going last each player then selects if they want to take an allotment or gain influence.

The second use of dice is during fights as part of a Wallows (Quest) card. Dice rolling is minimal.

The final use of dice is when resolving the Dreadscrip Threat if it’s triggered.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Marino
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
There are dice in the game but this is definitely a high strategy low randomness design. That was important to all of us when working on the mechanics. As David points out the main dice roll determines how much etherea is available at the start of each round. The roll impacts all players so it doesn’t have a swingy feel to it. Plus there are more ways to get etherea through Court and Mourner cards as well as locations and guilds. Similarly, dice are used when fighting rakers and resolving the dreadsgrip threat. When fighting rakers etherea can be used to improve your roll. As for the dreadsgrip it is a calculated risk as strategic figure movement can help you to avoid the risk if you want, or you can press your luck and take a chance with a die roll when the potential reward outweighs the risk. Overall, I think players will find that this is the kind of game where the best strategy wins - the dice rolling doesn’t create unexpected swings or disadvantages.

If you have more questions on gameplay please let me know!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terrence Miltner

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear the similarities. I don't mind this being similar to Rising Sun or Blood Rage, but different. The themes of RS or BR did not draw me in. But this game can scratch that itch for me and looks to be different enough that others will play it with me.
I like the fact that this is a single level campaign. One game and shipping and I have it all and no add-ons. I am in for $1 now while I ponder moving all in.
This is a good looking game and one I look forward to seeing more of in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Gilliland
msg tools
Hey Gang! Tom Gilliland, Court of the Dead creator jumping in to share in the enthusiasm and discussion. I Really appreciate the insights the community is offering up and the love the theme of the game and the world is getting!

Saw the comment about dice rolling , which Pat discussed already, but wanted to share my own experience as well.

I play games like the rest of you, often and repeatedly usually allot of table top miniature games where dice rolling is huge [bolt action]. Time has proven dice rolling isn’t one of my gifts.

Pat and I discussed the dice element a lot during play testing especially with my lame dicing in mind So I hear your point Benjamin!

As a strategist that understands the painful kiss of dice rolling fate let me say , its an influence on the game but not one that in any of the 12-15 runs I’ve played that could be described as crippling a players strategy or chances of winning in any major way.

There are several ways for a player to use shrewd strategy to mitigate or altogether avoid a roll in the Dreadsgrip situations. The initial turns Etherea harvest roll is one that effects every player equally so pain for one is pain for all, but a sharp player who has their resource management skills on point can even prosper from an Etherea ‘drought’ result.

If you do take a hit its a small one that a player should be able to recover from quickly. Its just another aspect of this game that shows how your quick thinking and numerous avenues of strategy can dodge and weave around the mishaps that will attempt to obstruct your route to victory in Mourners call.

Truly appreciate the support folks and could not be prouder of how the game play brings out the stories imperfect antihero rise to rebellion
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't mind the etheria roll at the beginning at all. I'm also okay with the risk involved in battling creatures, after all I made the decision to take that risk to fulfil my card and if I'm pushing my luck too far that's on me (also the ability to modify the result certainly helps).

With the Dreadsgrip dice rolls it is differnt, however. Me and the other player(s) made the exact same decision to take a risk in a certain location. I might get punished for it (ultimately decided by outcome randomness), while competitors get away unharmed and might even win a majority scoring.
With this difference in success for players taking the exact same amount of risk, it feels less like I'm just punished for my own dicey decisions, but rather the game messing with me.
If this happened to me in the last round of the game and I end up being just 2 points behind the player that luckily got rewarded for making the same choices as me, it definitely would feel a bit... underwhelming.

I get that for many people this might be a non issue and dice luck is probably lower than in many other titles, but still I wonder why it has to be that influential in this regard. I would definitely appreciate an officially 'approved' variant that mitigates this element.
Just as a first thought: If the Dreadsgrip limit gets triggered, why not (let Death) roll one die that determines the fate of every figure of every player at that particular location? If that roll is a punishment for our reckless decisions, at least it's fair for everyone who dared to go there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Felipe Bulhões
Brazil
flag msg tools
mb
badshave wrote:
I don't mind the etheria roll at the beginning at all. I'm also okay with the risk involved in battling creatures, after all I made the decision to take that risk to fulfil my card and if I'm pushing my luck too far that's on me (also the ability to modify the result certainly helps).

With the Dreadsgrip dice rolls it is differnt, however. Me and the other player(s) made the exact same decision to take a risk in a certain location. I might get punished for it (ultimately decided by outcome randomness), while competitors get away unharmed and might even win a majority scoring.
With this difference in success for players taking the exact same amount of risk, it feels less like I'm just punished for my own dicey decisions, but rather the game messing with me.
If this happened to me in the last round of the game and I end up being just 2 points behind the player that luckily got rewarded for making the same choices as me, it definitely would feel a bit... underwhelming.

I get that for many people this might be a non issue and dice luck is probably lower than in many other titles, but still I wonder why it has to be that influential in this regard. I would definitely appreciate an officially 'approved' variant that mitigates this element.
Just as a first thought: If the Dreadsgrip limit gets triggered, why not (let Death) roll one die that determines the fate of every figure of every player at that particular location? If that roll is a punishment for our reckless decisions, at least it's fair for everyone who dared to go there.

I fully agree with you. The Dreadsgrip dice roll is underwhelming and annoyed me in every play-through I watched.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I like the Dreadsgrip mechanism. It's thematic and adds an interesting bit of strategy and tension to the game without overbalancing the luck factor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David
Australia
Lilydale
Victoria
flag msg tools
mb
Interesting idea of having Death determine the outcome of a Dreadscrip trigger. They could include a rule variant as part of the rules. It would also need to cater for players having multiple guild members on a location. A priority mechanic for example, everyone is hit with the 1st role on one of their guild members in the location, then if still over the limit, a 2nd roll and all deal with that outcome.

Also there is nothing stopping anyone from developing a house variant Dreadscrip rule themselves if that one mechanic is really bugging them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph K
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hepta2502 wrote:
Also there is nothing stopping anyone from developing a house variant Dreadscrip rule themselves if that one mechanic is really bugging them.

That's true and if I end up getting the game I'd definitely want to do that. That being said, some gamers avoid or even refuse playing with house rules of any kind, so having an optional, officially endorsed variant would help out a lot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin
msg tools
hepta2502 wrote:
The dice rolling component of the game is minimal. It’s used to determine the size of the ethereal pool at ethereal distribution. The number of dice rolled is determined by the number of players, it’s then split into allotments equal to the number of players +1. This action is performed by the player who currently has Death. In reverse with death going last each player then selects if they want to take an allotment or gain influence.

The second use of dice is during fights as part of a Wallows (Quest) card. Dice rolling is minimal.

The final use of dice is when resolving the Dreadscrip Threat if it’s triggered.

Example scenario of 1 round:

I get 1 fight quest, you get 1 fight quest.
I roll 1, you roll 4-6.

Then there's a key region to control - we both end up committing 2 minis. We roll - I roll snake eyes, you roll 3-6s.

My understanding is that the outcome of above means:
I lose 1 Unity, you gain one Unity
You gain area bonus for control
I am down 4 crystal-money (lost minis)
You also might gain 1-2 guild rewards or deny them to me.

With exactly the same strategy and play the complete opposite could have happened as well.

If you punish players if they roll 1s you can't really put it into the same category as Blood Rage which uses much more refined mechanics than d6. Sorry. Game looks exciting otherwise though, and I'd love to back it. Universe, art, gameplay - all really intriguing. Even the shared resource trackers (semi-coop it is not). But d6 on fights and area control is a massive red flag for me. Some other players in my group as well, meaning even if I can deal with it others will still refuse.
e.g. Cthulhu Wars stopped seeing the table once we kept getting scenarios where the game was lost upon rolling 15d6 and not getting a single result above 3.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Heffernan
Australia
flag msg tools
Inconmon wrote:
Blood Rage has no major factor of randomness.

Court of the Dead has various dice rolls that sound like a bad roll can lose you the game.

Unless there is a more deterministic variant by the end of the Kickstarter I'll drop my pledge.

Love BR but I can't let this comment slide.

This is factually inaccurate regarding BR, The cards you are given the opportunity to draft provide a huge amount of variance. It simply lacks the drama of a die roll and often goes unnoticed.

I would also add that closed drafts are sub optimal mechanically because they create an experience bias unless players take the time to familiarise themselves with the full range of cards prior to playing. At least a dice mechanic is transparent and creates a known set of outcomes with predictable frequency. This is my one (albeit minor) complaint with blood rage.

The simplistic analysis of dice=bad also ignores the kind of strategic opportunities the dreadsgrip track creates for a savvy player. A variance causing event that is triggered by player interaction, is an opportunity for players who are behind to take a risk that may result in them catching up.

Properly assessing the risk/reward of such a decision is an incredibly interesting decision in games that implement it well. As is predicting when your opponents might pull such a move and attempting to protect against it if you are comfortable that you are on top.

These sorts of mechanisms in games enrich them greatly and I was wrapped to see it in this game when I read the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gold Sirius
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
This game has dice.

So it is automatically inferior to Blood Rage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GoldSirius wrote:
This game has dice.

So it is automatically inferior to Blood Rage.

wow, that's an opinion.

I like that the Dice are at least used in this game as 1-2 fail and not straight Risk rolling. Almost the opposite of Cthulhu Wars in only really wanting 6's. Should be a good game, I like the dice for generation at the beginning too, will affect strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.