Popular Tags: [View All]
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
According to the April GMT newsletter.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this too I do worry about GMT sometimes, they don't seem very timely at completing projects and I'd hate for it to damage their business because they do make some excellent stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
I saw this too I do worry about GMT sometimes, they don't seem very timely at completing projects and I'd hate for it to damage their business because they do make some excellent stuff.

That's a bit unfair -- when you're planning boardgame manufacturing a year in advance, a lot of things can happen/go wrong. Especially with the volume of games GMT is putting out each year.
I'll also add that sometimes games get printed ahead of schedule, because of sudden printer availability and other factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:

That's a bit unfair -- when you're planning boardgame manufacturing a year in advance, a lot of things can happen/go wrong. Especially with the volume of games GMT is putting out each year.
I'll also add that sometimes games get printed ahead of schedule, because of printer openings and other factors.
You're probably right, I can't say I have much experience of such things. Maybe the issue is they're not building enough leeway in to their estimates? I'd rather they were a little more conservative and some games published ahead of estimate.
That also suggests it could be simple impatience on my part!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francis K. Lalumiere
Canada
Brossard
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:
weishaupt wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:

I'll also add that sometimes games get printed ahead of schedule, because of printer openings and other factors.
You're probably right, I can't say I have much experience of such things. Maybe the issue is they're not building enough leeway in to their estimates? I'd rather they were a little more conservative and some games published ahead of estimate.
That also suggests it could be simple impatience on my part!

Oh, I hear you, brother -- I'm always pissed off whenever some game I have my eyes on slips down the schedule. Just like a kid who can't have that one shiny candy he wants...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ananda Gupta
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I wanna be super clear - this is not on GMT but on me. It took me longer than it should have to lock the map for art and it's taking longer than I thought it would to write the Playbook.

That said I am still hopeful that the game will come out earlier than 2019! But as the newsletter said, GMT has a ton of great games in the pipe and the production process is competitive.

Right now between 1/3 and 1/2 of the map is arted; the rules and cards are in good shape but need formatting; and the Playbook is about 1/3 done. The player aids need another round of polish before they get final layout.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Brighton
United States
Sammamish
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that it's disappointing that some great looking games are not going to be released as soon as we'd like but, based on some prior issues, I would much rather that GMT and designers get everything right before releasing a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Keusch
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
badge
It's hard to remember we're alive for the first time. It's hard to remember we're alive for the last time.
mbmbmbmbmb
ASGupta wrote:
I wanna be super clear - this is not on GMT but on me. It took me longer than it should have to lock the map for art and it's taking longer than I thought it would to write the Playbook.

That said I am still hopeful that the game will come out earlier than 2019! But as the newsletter said, GMT has a ton of great games in the pipe and the production process is competitive.

Right now between 1/3 and 1/2 of the map is arted; the rules and cards are in good shape but need formatting; and the Playbook is about 1/3 done. The player aids need another round of polish before they get final layout.

we'll be ready when you are! Still very much looking forward to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Duncan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
ASGupta wrote:

So nice to see such personal accountability. I am really looking forward to playing this monster - fascinating period of history. To think the two most powerful nations on Earth were but 23 miles apart...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
InappropriateAndy wrote:

Honestly, GMT is great. Yes, they slide their schedules from time to time, but keep in mind that most publishers don't even come close to the transparency that GMT keeps.

Also, GMT doesn't charge for for diddly squat until their games are at the printer, so you can cancel your P500 orders without any penalty or payment. Way better than the Kickstarter model in my opinion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cezary Domalski
Poland
Szczecin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
From my POV better is to wait longer, but get fully playable product, in opposite to crappy one: Illusions of glory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Nope
badge
Still nope
mbmbmbmbmb
majicbaby wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:

Honestly, GMT is great. Yes, they slide their schedules from time to time, but keep in mind that most publishers don't even come close to the transparency that GMT keeps.

Also, GMT doesn't charge for for diddly squat until their games are at the printer, so you can cancel your P500 orders without any penalty or payment. Way better than the Kickstarter model in my opinion.
In the light of a new day I agree - looking back on what I wrote yesterday I am 100% positive I was being an overly impatient idiot

And to echo everyone else; Ananda, please take as long as you need, I'm very much looking forward to playing IS when it's ready.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_klf wrote:
So nice to see such personal accountability. I am really looking forward to playing this monster - fascinating period of history. To think the two most powerful nations on Earth were but 23 miles apart...

In Twilight Struggle, the distance is only 2.5 miles! (Although that's between outlying islands, not the mainlands, which are 55 miles apart.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diomede_Islands
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kluck
United States
Hudson
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weishaupt wrote:
InappropriateAndy wrote:

I'll also add that sometimes games get printed ahead of schedule, because of sudden printer availability and other factors.

Perhaps, but if this delay is not due to any design issues discovered in playtesting it seems strange for a company to put a game with this much exposure on the back burner. When it is released it will absolutely sellout in a short period, why not make it a priority then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front fan, Cats were once worshipped as gods and they haven't forgotten this, Combat Commander series fan, The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!, Fields of Fire fan
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzy┼╝ Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the update, Ananda!

In the meantime, we'll have Hitler's Reich, and the upcoming Butterfield brilliance SpaceCorp to keep us occupied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Duncan
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
spartax wrote:
the_klf wrote:

In Twilight Struggle, the distance is only 2.5 miles! (Although that's between outlying islands, not the mainlands, which are 55 miles apart.) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diomede_Islands

Hahahaha, yes, true... OK. Yes. 2.5 miles, but they were hardly bristling with weaponry.

I'll try again.

To think the capitals of the two most powerful nations on Earth were but 213.05 miles apart...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AF Davis
msg tools
Probably a silly question, but does anything on GMT get put on the fast track? Almost everything I've preordered seems to slip later and later. Just wondered if a hot item with a heckuva lot of preorders could be pushed the other way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargoyl wrote:
Probably a silly question, but does anything on GMT get put on the fast track? Almost everything I've preordered seems to slip later and later. Just wondered if a hot item with a heckuva lot of preorders could be pushed the other way.

Many of the COIN series have been published very quickly. That's partly a function of pre-orders, but partly that some of them were ready to be published when they first went on P500.

This game obviously has enough pre-orders (plus being the sort-of-prequel to GMT's best-seller) to be published yesterday, but as Ananda said above, it's not ready to go on his end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ananda Gupta
United States
Los Angeles
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Sam's post. That said, I am happy to say that the bulk of the Playbook has now been written and the map is all systems go. I'm in the process of art-hunting for the cards and doing more rulebook polish, and of course getting some more plays in, but we're well into the nitty-gritty now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
The Honorable Salmon P. Chase
mbmbmbmbmb
Gargoyl wrote:

Try to remember that you're never charged by GMT until the game is at the printers. Hopefully, the extra time spent in game development should lead to a more polished finished product!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.