BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Queries and Problems

Subject: Which is the better name for a game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Moss Doerksen
Canada
flag msg tools
Poll
Nevermind whatever games already exist with whatever names. If you had a choice to play a brand new game called Fiefdoms or a game called Sovereignty, which would you rather play?
Fiefdoms
Sovereignty
      77 answers
Poll created by Moss

When you have made your choice, here is a bit more information for you to think and give your opinion about what is a better name for a game.

The game in question involves 4 different kinds of actions that you can perform on a turn: exploration – laying down tiles to build the map as you play; population – placing citizens on the tiles, or using soldiers; resources – collecting resources from the tiles you occupy; development – creating buildings and drafting soldiers with the resources that you have collected. The goal is to get sufficient points on the board by controlling land and developing it to be worth more points. Each player is basically building their own little empire and some fighting is involved.

This post is just to resolve a little "debate" between me and some friends about which is a better name. Of course, maybe neither name is good enough. Maybe you have some other suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
well sovereignty is just a cool word, but I think fiefdoms is a better fit for the game. Maybe fiefdom is better?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
I will go with Neither.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd think that by the time a piece of land became a fiefdom it would already be explored and populated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Daly
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
Sovereignty sounds more serious and heavy-Euro-ish. I'd expect one of those Eurogame boxes with the slightly angry-looking guy in the foreground scowling at some sort of architectural feature or building project in the background. Inside would be a big rulebook, a board with lots of tracks on it and lots of wooden cubes. Playing would be an edifying mental exercise.

Fiefdoms sounds more fun, maybe a light Euro/Ameritrash hybrid. I'd expect one of those cartoony boxes with slightly silly, exaggerated medieval people and creatures engaged in some sort of comical fracas. Gameplay would be strategic but lighter and more luck-based, and there would be a colorful map board and lots of bright cards, standees or maybe even miniatures. Gameplay would be fun but not too mentally taxing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moss Doerksen
Canada
flag msg tools
jdaly72 wrote:
Sovereignty sounds more serious and heavy-Euro-ish. I'd expect one of those Eurogame boxes with the slightly angry-looking guy in the foreground scowling at some sort of architectural feature or building project in the background. Inside would be a big rulebook, a board with lots of tracks on it and lots of wooden cubes. Playing would be an edifying mental exercise.

Fiefdoms sounds more fun, maybe a light Euro/Ameritrash hybrid. I'd expect one of those cartoony boxes with slightly silly, exaggerated medieval people and creatures engaged in some sort of comical fracas. Gameplay would be strategic but lighter and more luck-based, and there would be a colorful map board and lots of bright cards, standees or maybe even miniatures. Gameplay would be fun but not too mentally taxing.

Nice feedback, thanks! I guess I am aiming for something in the middle of the two things you are describing. Not so much luck, a bit of a Euro feel, but but not a million moving parts. Simple but strategic. Light but not cartoony. Sovereign Fiefdoms? Is that an oxymoron?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moss Doerksen
Canada
flag msg tools
The votes are impressively even. I assume they are based on the name alone, before reading the description of the game.

I am curious to hear a few more opinions about what seems more appropriate for the style of game I am going for.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Corsaire
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Moss wrote:
The votes are impressively even. I assume they are based on the name alone, before reading the description of the game.

I am curious to hear a few more opinions about what seems more appropriate for the style of game I am going for.

Thanks.

Naming can be a bit of an art. There simply isn't enough information about it.

I don't see anythng about setting, game length, number of players, etc. Those would all be factors to get a well fitting name.

In general that sort of game is one where I want to buy into a particular headspace. Both Fiefdoms and Sovereignty are a bit soulless.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
Going purely by the names and no other information I'd say Fiefdoms. Fiefdoms suggests a city building gene of some description which I like very much. Sovereignty doesn't really lend itself to anything past royal families. It could be any type of game at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moss Doerksen
Canada
flag msg tools
Corsaire wrote:

Naming can be a bit of an art. There simply isn't enough information about it.

I don't see anythng about setting, game length, number of players, etc. Those would all be factors to get a well fitting name.

In general that sort of game is one where I want to buy into a particular headspace. Both Fiefdoms and Sovereignty are a bit soulless.

At this point the theme is fairly non-specific. It is about as themed as Settlers of Catan. The things you can build are towns > cities/barracks, storehouses, ships, walls and forts. So it could be anything from Roman times to Renaissance, but it has no geographical affiliation. I have ideas for different expansions, one adds an industrial revolution element, and the other adds a fantasy element.

The game is about 30 minutes per player and it can have 2-4 players.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Steve Broadfoot wrote:
Sovereignty doesn't really lend itself to anything past royal families. It could be any type of game at all.

Sovereignty made me think of independence and governing one's own country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Davies
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Koneko: A PvP worker placement game set in a very Feline Feudal Japan........
mbmbmbmbmb
blaecblaed wrote:
Steve Broadfoot wrote:
Sovereignty doesn't really lend itself to anything past royal families. It could be any type of game at all.

Sovereignty made me think of independence and governing one's own country.

That's interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.