Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Erb
United States
Wauwatosa
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played the game and i got the 48 notice on the KS so i've been watching videos. It seems to me that starting with a monster just delays the meat of the game. It that a rule that always happens in setup or is it dependent on the scenario?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Bouselli
United States
Carteret
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
oneone78 wrote:
I haven't played the game and i got the 48 notice on the KS so i've been watching videos. It seems to me that starting with a monster just delays the meat of the game. It that a rule that always happens in setup or is it dependent on the scenario?

The introductory scenario doesn’t start with one. But all of the others do. Thematically, you pull up to the next “area” in your van. And naturally your van makes noise and attracts enemies.

As for the expansions, I don’t know if they’re the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Erb
United States
Wauwatosa
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I get it thematically, but gameplay-wise it just seems annoying. It's like "look at this big board to explore, but first here is a random monster to deal with that you're unprepared for and will struggle to survive against." I would rather see lower health maybe and skip the initial monster draw. plus what's to stop you from just starting over, so to speak, by drawing monsters until you get the easiest one. If you draw a difficult one, just hit the reset button.

feels like a barrier to fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Sharkey
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It ensures everyone has some combat to start with and scales the difficulty well with more players. You can easily ignore the rule, nothing wrong with house ruling as it’s not a hard coded video game. =P

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The game I just started, I decided to skip the opening monsters.

I wanted to start running around right at the beginning. This game is pretty easy to throw in house rules to make it however you like.

I really dig it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Graham
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can always use your Mulligan and redraw your beginning hand if you don't get a weapon. You are bound to get one in your first 8. The opening monster adds some excitement and a challenge. It hasn't ever been something that hinder my play or made it not fun. Quite the opposite actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christi K
United States
Puyallup
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too enjoy playing with beginning monsters. It gets the coop play started right off the bat. Maybe one character doesn't end up with an opening weapon but the others in the group can help them out. It's awesome!

I love this game!! Monsters and all. The boss monsters are generally put way later in the draw pile so there is no chance of one of them popping up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave S
United States
Pleasant Grove
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And you can move/search/explore even though you have a monster tailing you. It just makes some things harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.